Teaching - Study and Training for National Eligibility Test (NET)

by , Renowned Career Counsellor
This Article is taken from Mrs. Kum Kum Tandon's book After 10+2 And Beyond - Humanities & Commerce chapter No. 11 titled Education


Pre-primary teachers training
Most polytechnics and vocational training centres conduct training for pre-school teachers. The preferred eligibility is Class XII with 50% aggregate. Personal attributes are, however, more important. There are Montessori Teacher training schools which are privately owned in some large cities.

Primary teachers training
The elementary teacher education programmes in different States require matriculation or higher secondary pass as the entry qualification. Elementary teacher education programmes, offered by different institutions, award Diploma in education under different nomenclatures like JBT, ETE, D.Ed. etc. and are eligible for appointment as primary teachers (PRT) to teach classes I to VI or I to VIII.

Doctor Harisingh Gour Vishwavidyalaya at Gour Nagar, Sagar 470003, Madhya Pradesh conducts a 2 year Diploma course after Higher Secondary to train teachers for primary teaching. While this is one institute, normally teachers with a Bachelors in education teach the Primary classes when they begin their career and gradually move up to teach higher classes. Graduates of Home Science also serve as primary teachers. University of Delhi offers Bachelors of Elementary Education B.Ele. Ed. (Elementary) of 4 years after 10+2 with 55%. There is an entrance test and interview.

Secondary and senior secondary teachers
B.Ed. is a course of one year duration which prepares teachers for secondary/senior secondary schools. Teachers having B.Ed. degree after graduation are called Trained Graduate Teachers. This training is imparted in teacher's training colleges. There are separate institutions for special teachers such as teachers of the blind, deaf and dumb, mentally retarded, craft, music, etc.

Some universities offer these courses through correspondence for in service teachers to get trained. There are contact programmes for giving practical orientation. Regional Institutes of Education at Mysore, Bhubaneshwar, Cuttack and Ajmer are run by NCERT. They offer basic Graduate Degree in Art/Science along with teachers training. This course is of 4 years duration after school. Regional Institute of Education, Shyamala Hills, Bhopal 462013 www.riebhopal.ac.in (MP) selects students from MP, Maharashtra, Gujarat, Goa and UT of Daman, Diu and Dadar and Nagar Haveli for B.Sc. Bed, MEd (Elem. Education) 2 years, BEd (Secondary), PG Diploma in Guidance and Counselling 1 year.


Related Articles


Discussion Board

Showing 1-10 of total 21 comments
Kuldeep237 4 years ago

agricultural entomology ICAR NET
I am targeting above
help me on trivedivks@yahoo.com

Kuldeep237 4 years ago

ICAR NET Study material
Sub:Agricultural Entomology

email Id: trivedivks@yahoo.com

Plz help me
All FRDs

Pooja Kohli Hi,

This is an educational portal. We can only provide you the information related to different education options. For material I would suggest you to visit the official site of UGC. It will also be available on any of the book stores near by.

Do visit shiksha again for more information

4 years ago
Ajit127 4 years ago

Hi Friends
I am looking for information about State Teaching Eligibility Test (STET
please help me gettting more information if possible please e-mail me at ajitdubey2001@gmail.com

Thanking you
Ajit Dubye

Pooja Kohli Hi Ajit,

The State level Eligibility Test (SLET) is applicable for Lectureship in Universities and Colleges in the particular state from where you have passed SET Examination. This is based on the pattern of the National Eligibility Test (NET) conducted by UGC and UGC/CSIR for Humanities, Social Sciences and Sciences subjects respectively. The State Governments and Union Territories, which are desirous of conducting their own SET, are required to obtain accreditation from UGC from time to time.

SLET qualified Candidates are also eligible to apply for State Funded Research Scholarship in the respective departments of State-aided Universities.

For more information please see the link below:


Hope this solves your query. Do visit shiksha to have more information.

4 years ago
Soumya Prakash Nayak192 hi send me detail information abt it.
3 years ago
Shruti Deshpande 4 years ago

Hi. I am pursuing MCom this year frm Mum uni. may i know am i eligible to give SET test. I m interested in lectureship. I know aggregate should be 55% for Masters degree. Beside this any other eligibilty is required. Please let me know as soon as possible. Thank you

Shruti Singhwal 4 years ago

Hi I'v done My MBA, now I want to crack the NET in management. Can you let me know such coaching centres in Kota?

Soumya Prakash Nayak192 hi send me detail information abt it.
3 years ago
ravi21646 I also want to know about coaching centres in bikaner for NET in computer application
a month ago
Swati Channa 4 years ago

Which is better B.ed or JBT and from where?

shahin akhtar302 3 years ago

shahin akhtar last year i was done m.sc in zoology. can u give some idea to crak CSIR-NET.

Soumya Prakash Nayak192 hi send me detail information abt it.
3 years ago
aditi70 3 years ago

i m a central govt. employee. can i purue b.ed. course under distance education?

karma969 3 years ago

this year i am appearing csir-net. can you send me information and idae how to crack.

bisini v 3 years ago

hi i wanted net classes in navi mumbai plz help

Write a Comment
Find the best institute for yourself
We need a few details from you to suggest you relevant institutes