AWS vs. Azure is almost an evergreen comparison since AWS and Microsoft Azure are the two most established leading names in the cloud computing space. As of now, AWS is bigger in terms of revenue while Azure has a bigger user base.
In this article on AWS vs Azure, we will discuss these platforms to decide which is a better choice for advancing in your career.
Table of Contents
- AWS vs. Azure
- Updates: AWS vs Azure (2024)
- About AWS
- About Azure
- Which is better for career between AWS and Azure?
AWS vs. Azure
There are several differences between AWS and Azure. Let us discuss these differences in a tabular format for better understanding.
|Work in progress
|Excels in hybrid cloud
|Supports Linux system
|Work in progress
|Cloud storage offerings
|AWS S3, EBS, etc.
|Blob Storage, Disk Storage, etc.
|Level of encryption
|Rich and user-friendly user interface
|Less intuitive and search-friendly user interface
|AWS’ VPC allows users to create private networks
|Azure makes use of a VPN
|AWS charges on an hourly basis
|Azure is charged on a per-minute basis
|Captured market share
|Market share as Total Web Hosting Service Provider
AWS vs Azure: Updates (2024)
AWS Updates (2024):
- AWS Lambda Extensions Preview: AWS Lambda now supports a new feature called Extensions, which allows you to augment your Lambda invocation environment. This includes tools for monitoring, security, etc.
- Amazon EC2 Mac Instances: AWS now offers Mac instances for Amazon EC2, allowing developers to run on-demand macOS workloads in the AWS cloud for the first time.
- AWS Nitro Enclaves: AWS introduced Nitro Enclaves, a new EC2 capability that makes it easier to securely process highly sensitive data.
- Amazon Aurora Serverless v2: Amazon Aurora Serverless v2 is now in preview. It scales instantly from hundreds to hundreds-of-thousands of transactions in a fraction of a second.
Azure Updates (2024):
- Microsoft Fabric event streams: Microsoft Fabric now offers event streams that enable customers to ingest real-time event data from external event sources into the data stores in Fabric. The events can be transformed into various native formats required for the target destination.
- Azure Event Hubs Updates: Azure Event Hubs launched their Dedicated self-serve clusters capability. Additionally, they announced support for Compaction GA for Kafka and AMQP, Mirror Maker 2 support GA, Kafka Connect support GA, JSON Schema in schema registry for Kafka, Managed Identity for streaming capture, and a Data Generator public preview. Apache Kafka related changes, Managed Identity for streaming capture, JSON Schema in schema registry for Kafka, Data generator public preview.
- Azure Event Grid: Azure Event Grid now supports bi-directional communication via MQTT version 5.
- Azure DevOps 2024 Q1: Azure DevOps has delivered multiple features in Q1 2024, including improvements on security and new features based on customer feedback.
About Amazon Web Services, Inc. (AWS)
Amazon Web Services, Inc. was launched in the year 2006. It is a subsidiary of Amazon that provides more than 100 services related to databases, computing, application development, infrastructure management and security. AWS has offices in 16 geographical locations.
Customers can acquire AWS services through network of AWS server farms that are located all around the world. Instead of building an actual physical farm, Amazon markets AWS as a way of acquiring large-scale computing capacity quickly and in a cheaper way.
Explore free AWS courses
Advantages of AWS
AWS has a number of advantages which makes it a popular choice among users:
- User friendly: AWS has a user-friendly platform that makes it easy to use, even for beginners. It comes with very detailed and simple documentation which makes it easier to use the platform.
- Secure: It is a secure platform that uses IAM so that no unauthorized person can use this platform. AWS has several measures, such as Transport Layer Security certificates and tools with encryption that can combat security threats.
- Storage: AWS offers high storage that can be used for data backups and archives. It helps in providing storage utilizing a web-based interface as well.
- Multi-region backups: There are multiple regions available to users in AWS where they can store both information and instances. Such regions consist of availability zones protected from failures in other zones.
AWS Payment Model
AWS provides its services on a metered ‘pay-as-you-go’ services. Fees are based on usage, operating system, software, hardware, and networking features that the subscriber chooses. Every service is billed based on usage.
Subscribers need to pay only for the service they require and for as long as they require. Once the subscriber stops availing to services, there is no termination fees or additional cost levied. AWS subscribers have the option to either pay for a single virtual AWS computer or a dedicated physical computer. Every service has micro billing. Billing Dashboard in AWS provides a report through an integrated billing dashboard that you can pull out as per your requirements based on services.
Check out AWS certifications
Services Offered by AWS
As of 2024, AWS offers more than 500 services in computing, networking, storage, database, developer tools, application services, analytics, machine learning, deployment, management, mobile, RobOps and tools for the Internet of Things.
About Microsoft Azure
Microsoft Azure or simply, Azure, is a cloud computing service that is operated by Microsoft. It was launched in the year 2008. Azure offers more than 600 services through a global network of Microsoft-managed data centres. These services are provided in three ways: Software as a Service (SaaS), Platform as a Service (PaaS) and Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS). It also supports several tools, programming languages and frameworks.
Explore free Azure courses
Advantages of Azure
- Speed: Azure’s data centres are placed everywhere across the world. Due to this, it has a high speed for scaling your existing capacity through the upgrade of service plans and by adding new features.
- Pre-built tools: It comes with many pre-built tools due to which there is no need to create anything from scratch. This saves time to market your built on time.
- End-to-end services: Through Microsoft Azure, everything from source control to delivery is possible from within a single environment. These services are created in a manner that they do not disrupt the functionality of already existing services. Bulking up features and security patches are considered while rolling out new updates.
Payment Model of Azure
Microsoft Azure offers cloud services on ‘pay-as-you-go’ pricing. There is no upfront fee, and subscribers can cancel at any time as per their requirements. Customers can customize their billing plans according to their business requirements. They receive a monthly bill for the opted services. Through the Azure Hybrid benefit program, customers having licenses with software assurance can get discounts. They can maximize the value of their existing on-premise SQL server license and Windows server investments while migrating to Azure.
Explore free cloud computing courses
Services offered by Azure
Azure offers over 600 cloud computing services related to compute (Virtual Machine, Service Fabric, Cloud Service, Functions), AI, ML, networking (Express Route, Azure DNS, Virtual network, Azure CDN), storage (Blob, file, disk and Queue) and development.
AWS vs. Azure Which is best?
While both provide similar services, there are certain factors based on which the two differ. These can be segregated in terms of revenue generation, flexibility, features and adaptability.
1. Open Source Community
Microsoft Azure is still in the process of becoming friendly to the open-source community. This hasn’t changed the industry’s perception of Microsoft. This also contributes to the domination of Amazon AWS in the cloud hosting space.
2. Storage Capacity
AWS’s cloud object storage solution offers high availability as well as automatic replication across regions. In AWS, temporary storage starts functioning whenever an instance starts and it stops when an instance gets terminated. It also provides block storage which is quite similar to hard disks. It can be either be attached to EC2 instances or can be kept separate.
On the other hand, Azure uses page blobs and temporary storage for VM based volumes. Its block storage is similar to S3 in AWS.
3. Machine Learning Model
Both AWS and Azure have machine learning studios for machine learning model development. Unlike Amazon SageMaker, Azure’s studio does not require to delve deep into the complexities of data engineering, python coding and open source libraries.
4. Compatibility with Hybrid Cloud Market
Azure is more established in the hybrid cloud market in comparison with AWS which is still a work in progress. Microsoft Azure provides holistic hybrid cloud functionality that extends to on-premise data center. Its services enable you to connect your private cloud with its public services.
5. Licensing and License Mobility
Azure and AWS ensure that customers do not have to face difficulties related to licensing or license mobility. You only have to pay for services that you are availing of. In Microsoft Azure, you are eligible for license mobility if you have already paid for the service.
Although Azure is convenient in terms of set-up for Windows admin, AWS is highly configurable and feature-enriched. When it comes to comparing AWS vs. Azure, it is very clear that most of the services are similar in both cases. On the other hand, Azure leads AWS in terms of features such as Azure Site Recovery, Azure Event Hubs, the Azure Visual Studio Online, and Azure Scheduler.
In terms of flexibility, adaptability to the open-source community AWS seems to be leading. It also gets an additional point when it comes to revenue generation.
Which is better for career?
If you are planning to choose between Azure and AWS in terms of career, you can consider a few points. According to the data, AWS professionals, on average, earn ₹6.3 lakhs per year, whereas Azure professionals earn around ₹6.1 Lakhs per year. Along with higher salaries, AWS is easier to learn as it has easier documentation.
While choosing between the two cloud computing service providers, do consider all the point of views. Both AWS and Azure have a significant market share as they offer great features at great prices. However, while choosing one of the two in terms of career, you should consider the scope, market, job opportunities as well as ease to learn.
What is the difference between Azure and AWS?
Following are three differences between the two: 1. AWS charges you on an hourly basis but Azure has a pricing model of per minute charge. 2. In terms of short term subscriptions, Azure has more flexibility but it is more expensive. Azure has a much better hybrid cloud support in comparison with AWS. 3. AWS provides direct connections whereas Azure express provides routing.
What are the advantages of Microsoft Azure?
Microsoft Azure provides a fully scalable cloud platform with open access across frameworks and tools. It also: 1. Provides full support to Microsoft legacy apps 2. Has one-click migration in multiple cases 3. Provides support for Windows/Linux environment
What are the advantages of AWS?
AWS has a number of advantages including: 1. It allows the selection of programming language, database and operating system 2. Has lower latency and provides more number of data centres for availability 3. It has a strong partner ecosystem
AWS vs. Azure: which certification should you choose?
AWS is more customer-oriented whereas Azure is enterprise-focused. Although AWS has the highest market share, it is advisable to go for the certification that suits your need the best. It will also depend on the technology being used. Suppose, you are working on tools and technologies that are based on Microsoft; then you should go for Azure.
Is Azure easier than AWS?
AWS is easy to learn in comparison with Azure since AWS is more simple and has an effective flow of documentation. The online training material for AWS is also better.
Explain interoperability and integration with respect to AWS and Azure?
AWS has better interoperability in comparison with Azure with open source communities such as Linux, Jenkins and GitHub. On the other hand, Azure has better native integration with Microsoft technologies and tools.
Which has more job opportunities between AWS or Azure?
While comparing AWS vs. Azure, more jobs have arisen for Azure in recent times. This is an approximate increase of 15.39% as job postings for AWS have increased by 232.06% whereas, for Azure, postings have increased by 302.47%.
Are there any similarities between AWS and Azure?
Both Azure and AWS provide on-demand computing platforms and APIs for organizations as well as individuals.