Are you looking to learn game development? Do you want to build the skills needed for a career in real-time 3D game development? Starting a game development career is appealing but it might leave you searching for answers to a bunch of questions – Where to start? What game engine should you use? How much programming knowledge should you have to start making your games? How to find the right resources for game development?
In this guide, we will provide answers to all those questions. This blog will help you understand how you can bring exciting real-time experiences to life using Unreal Engine, the powerful and most advanced real-time 3D development tool.
Explore popular Game Development Courses
What is Unreal Engine?
Unreal Engine is a popular game engine developed by Epic Games. It was first released in 1988 with the first-person shooter game Unreal. It offers a set of development tools for those working with real-time technology.
With this engine, you can create everything from 2D mobile games to AAA console titles. Users get the freedom and control to deliver top-notch entertainment, captivating visualizations, and immersive virtual worlds.
Check out the best Programming Courses
UE provides developers with everything that is required to make and ship successful multi-platform games and location-based entertainment for different genres. You get full access to C++ API, source code, and Blueprint feature to develop games the way you like.
It is one of the fastest-growing skill requirements in the real-time and 3D graphics space. The UE engine is behind many popular titles, such as Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, Street Fighter 5, and Ark: Survival Evolved.
Unreal Engine – Features & Key Highlights
Below are some of the notable features of the Unreal Engine:
Free to Use
Unreal Engine is free to download and use. You can create linear content, custom projects, and internal projects for free. You get two options to choose from:
- Unreal Engine End User License Agreement for Publishing: It is free to use but users need to pay a 5% royalty only when their title earns over $1 million.
- Unreal Engine End User License Agreement for Creators: It is free to use and royalty-free. Does not include publishing off-the-shelf offerings.
Loaded with Features
Unreal Engine is packed with excellent features. Full source code access is included with every feature. New versions including updates, improved features, and bug fixes are released regularly. Live changes are also shared to source code through GitHub.
Suitable for Both Beginners and Experts
This platform is suitable for both beginners and expert professionals. You don’t need to be an expert programmer to use UE. You can create games without the need to be good at programming. It is perfect for professional game developers as well.
The interface of the engine is quite easy to use, which makes it easier to get a prototype up and running.
Blueprint is a node-based visual scripting method. It enables users to create entire games without writing a single line of code using the Blueprints Visual Scripting system. It is also helpful for visualizations and architectural walk-throughs.
UE has a large community of creators and developers from across the world who build cutting-edge experiences and supports each other.
It offers comprehensive reference documentation, instructional guides, and more for dedicated professional support.
Some other features of UE include:
- Unified content pipeline
- Seamless data conversion
- Python scripting
- Industry-leading graphics
- Multiplayer framework
- Full access to C++ source code
- User-friendly blueprint visual scripting
Explore the top Web Design Courses
Get Started With Unreal Engine
- Download, install and open the Epic Games launcher.
- Sign in to the launcher.
- Get ready to use the latest version of Unreal Engine.
Creating an Epic Games Account
There is a Sign In option on the UE website. If you have an account, sign in using the credentials. If you do not have an account, click ‘Sign Up’ and register to create your Epic account.
Epic Games supports different register types. You can sign up with any of the provided options. After registering and creating your account, you can click ‘Sign In’.
Unreal Engine Uses – Where Can You Use Unreal Engine?
- Film and TV
- Automotive and Transportation
- Broadcast and Live Events
What Skills Are Required to Work With Unreal Engine?
Working with the UE platform will require you to know the basics of game development and designing. Prior programming or Unreal experience is not a prerequisite but familiarity with the C++ programming language will be helpful.
Why Should You Use the Unreal Engine?
Unreal Engine offers many benefits. Learning about the UE will enable beginners to take the first step in game development. Professional game developers can also use it as per their requirements.
UE equips users with powerful game development tools to create high-end video games. This software will help the learners to learn game creation as well as grow their skills as a developer.
Also Read: Top Online IT Courses
Top Resources to Learn Unreal Engine
Here are the best resources to take your game development skills to the next level.
Unreal Online Learning
Unreal Engine’s free learning platform offers hands-on video courses and guided learning paths. This learning portal offers over 160 hours of free online learning content. You can browse a huge library of webinars and instructor-led training to start your game creation journey.
You will find structured video lessons for every skill level, so you can continue to build and grow skills at your own pace. It has a vast library with over 100+ courses.
An online course in Unreal Engine can be a great way to learn the foundational skills required for game development and design.
Why Take Up an Unreal Engine Online Course?
Here are some of the benefits of pursuing an Unreal Engine course online:
- Gain in-depth knowledge of modern game development using UE.
- Gain an understanding of handling big game development projects.
- Understand how object-oriented programming works in practice.
- Learn how to create an Unreal C++ Game.
- Understand how to build realistic environments for games.
- Learn how to create multiplayer games and stream them.
Top Unreal Engine Courses Online
Here is the list of some of the most popular online courses you can take up to learn about Unreal Engine. These courses will help you build the right skills to succeed in game development, simulation, architecture, automotive, film, and TV.
- Unreal Engine Interactive 3D: Sequencer-Cinematography, Interfaces, Visual Effects, Pipelines, and Production on edX
- Introduction to Particle Systems in Unreal Engine on Pluralsight
- Unreal VR Dev: Make VR Experiences with Unreal Engine in C++ on Udemy
- Animating a Short Film in Maya and Unreal Engine on Pluralsight
- Unreal Engine Interactive 3D: Blueprints, Animation, Audio, & Environments on edX
- Creating an Interior Walkthrough in Unreal Engine and 3ds Max on Pluralsight
- Getting Started with Unreal Engine on edX
- Introduction to C++ in Unreal Engine on Pluralsight
- Creating Morph Targets in Unreal Engine on Pluralsight
That’s all about learning game development from scratch using Unreal Engine. Game development can be fun and interesting when learning through the right platform. We hope this guide helped you understand the core concepts of game creation that are required to take your next steps in your journey towards becoming an excellent game developer.
If you have recently completed a professional course/certification, click here to submit a review.
Download this article as PDF to read offlineDownload as PDF