Societal marketing concept was introduced by Philip Kotler to ensure that companies do not neglect the welfare of the society in the race to satisfy consumers and gain more market share.
In this article, we will discuss the societal marketing concept in detail. We will also discuss the real-life initiatives taken by renowned organizations.
Table of Contents
- What is Societal Marketing Concept?
- Need for the Concept of Societal Marketing
- Objectives of Societal Marketing
- Elements of Societal Marketing
- Societal Marketing Practices
- Initiatives Taken by Companies
What is Societal Marketing Concept?
According to the societal marketing concept, companies should make marketing decisions as per the consumer’s wants. This should, however, cover the requirements of the company as well as the society. As per this concept, the organization should work to determine the needs, interests, and wants of the target market, the organization. Based on this research, they should plan to ensure that customers are satisfied in an effective and efficient manner.
It can be defined as:
Need for the Concept of Societal Marketing
As per Philip Kotler, many firms and industries prioritize their consumers over society. Due to this, the societal marketing concept has been introduced. According to him, the marketing concept should be adjusted to adopt a more explicit social orientation. This concept has evolved from CSR and sustainable development.
Learn the importance of sustainable development
The aim of introducing this concept is to improve the public image of the organization through social welfare activities. Marketers need to maintain a balance between making profits, customer satisfaction, and public interest. For this purpose, social marketing practices must be adopted.
Explore CSR courses
Objectives of Societal Marketing
The following points highlight the objectives of societal marketing:
- Inculcating the belief among marketers to have greater responsibilities other than satisfying customers.
- Facilitating marketers to work for the benefit and overall well-being of the society.
- Including social and ethical considerations in marketing practices.
- Ensuring that the marketing activities do not cause damage to the environment.
- Including ethical, social, and ecological considerations in market planning for every business.
Elements of Societal Marketing
The societal marketing concept is based on the following three main elements. To ensure that the company is a going concern in the long run, it needs to ensure that these three elements are in balance. Let us identify them:
- Company profits: This is the most important for every profit-oriented organization to grow the business. Without making profits, the company would not be able to survive in the long run. While adopting the societal marketing concept, it is important to ensure that the will to contribute to society does not overpower the main objective of running a business. Such practices should be adopted that not only ensure sustainable development but also should not hamper the business.
- Consumers’ wants: To achieve the primary objective of making profits, companies must satisfy their customers. The requirements of customers must be fulfilled in a manner that does not cause any disturbance in society or our environment. However, without fulfilling their demands, businesses cannot expect to sustain themselves in the long run since consumers are fueling brand growth.
- Society’s interests: While profits and customers’ requirements are essential for business, they should not be achieved at the cost of society’s interest. Ethical business practices must be adopted to ensure sustainability and a balance among the environment. Corporate social responsibility is an essential part of most business models these days. This is important since it is our social responsibility to ensure that future generations have enough to thrive for centuries.
Societal Marketing Practices
Following are the essential societal marketing practices:
- Rather than manufacturing from scratch, companies can outsource products. This will not only save them money but also will protect the environment since no manufacturing will prevent pollution.
- Taking the services of fewer but more reliable suppliers who prefer to work in partnership with the company.
- Encouraging intrapreneurship and initiatives at the local level instead of being managed from the top of the hierarchy.
- Choosing desirable products since they bring in immediate satisfaction as well as long-term benefits.
- Avoiding pleasing, deficient and salutary products.
- Conducting the business digitally instead of utilizing resources for personal selling.
- Organizing the business by market segment instead of by products segment.
Societal Marketing Initiatives Taken by Companies
The societal marketing concept is yet to be adopted by many companies across the globe. However, there are many organizations that have incorporated the concept of societal marketing in their brand value:
As a part of societal marketing, Coca-Cola published the ‘America is Beautiful’ song in different languages. The song indicated that Coca-Cola appreciates cultural harmony from a large point of view. In 2014, the company contributed $126,000,000 towards women’s empowerment, healthy living, and several disaster relief programs.
2. AVON Product Inc.
The company started an initiative called ‘Avon breast cancer awareness crusade’ in partnership with NABCO in 1993. The company started selling pink ribbon pins for $2 out of which $1 was donated to NABCO. Through this campaign, the company was able to raise billion of dollars for breast cancer awareness and early detection services.
In 2017, the company aired a ‘Super Bowl’ ad that gave the message of accepting and appreciating diversity in human culture. The ending statement was, “the world is more beautiful the more you accept.”. Airbnb aimed to provide short-term shelter for over 100,000 disaster survivors and refugees for the next five years. The company also announced a donation of $4 million to the ‘International Rescue Committee’ for the next four years.
4. Body Shop
The Body Shop Foundation funds Animal protection programs, Human rights protections, and Environmental protection. It is an environmentally conscious brand that works towards social and environmental improvement.
Advantages of Societal Marketing Concept
It not only helps the company in gaining a positive reputation but also has the following advantages:
- Helps in improving the branding of the company.
- Gives a competitive advantage since the company is offering more to consumers as well as society.
- Increases the market share as the company becomes more reliable among consumers due to its initiatives for the overall welfare of the society.
- Maintains a balance between the environment, society and profits to sustain the business.
- Facilitates sustainable living so that future generations have enough resources for the future.
Recently completed any professional course/certification from the market? Tell us what you liked or disliked in the course for more curated content.
Click here to submit its review.
Download this article as PDF to read offlineDownload as PDF