MBA in Canada for Indian Students: According to the QS World University Rankings 2024, 7 of the world’s top 150 universities are in Canada. Canada is one of the safest places in the world, and has been tagged as the world’s most educated country based on OECD data; for these reasons, Canada is becoming an attractive destination for international students. In this article, we will look at studies in Canada for international students, and we will focus more on an MBA in Canada. We will also inform you about the duration of the course, fee structure, cost of living, eligibility criteria and post-study opportunities with respect to MBA programs in Canada.
Why Pursue MBA in Canada?
A booming economy, cultural diversity, and pro-immigration policies of this country attract students from across the globe. High living standards, affordable and quality education, a multicultural society, and a dynamic and well-integrated labour market make this country a hot favourite among international students. It is amongst the top five destinations in the world for pursuing higher education.
Major cities in Canada
Predict your English proficiency score by sharing few details
- Québec City
MBA in Canada: Advantages
Whether you want to work in a managerial position, or as an entrepreneur, a good MBA degree will always help you manage a business more effectively. MBA is fruitful for those who want to gain managerial acumen. Companies prefer professionals who have good communication and interpersonal skills, along with the ability to solve complex problems in a competitive business environment.
Benefits of pursuing MBA from Canada are:
- The admission and visa processes are simple.
- Education institutes/colleges in Canada offer internationally recognized degrees at a relatively affordable cost.
- Business programs offered by Canadian institutes give a boost to the careers of MBA professionals, thus ultimately enhancing their earning potential.
- The internship programs help the students to get an insight into the industry.
- The MBA degree helps in gaining practical knowledge, which can be applied in real-world business scenarios.
Canada MBA Fees
MBA fees in Canada can range from CAD 30,000 to CAD 126,600 per year depending on the programme and university to which you have applied. Canada MBA fees is relatively less as compared to the MBA fee in the US. However, a lesser fee does not necessarily mean lesser quality. MBA in Canada for Indian students is one of the most popular and rewarding courses when it comes to studying abroad. Not only do international students have an opportunity to work in Canada after their MBA, but also they have access to one of the most remunerative job markets in the world.
Students need to note that in addition to the tuition fee for MBA in Canada, they will also incur a cost of living in Canada, which will be nearly CAD 19,000 per annum. However, the cost of living can vary greatly based on the location and lifestyle of a student.
Top MBA Colleges in Canada and Their Fees
The table given below provides the top MBA Colleges in Canada with fee structure along with their course duration and tuition fee.
Best MBA Colleges in Canada
- You can check out the most affordable colleges offering MBA in Canada here
- Apart from this, you can also check out the list of universities offering MBA in Canada here
- Check out the list of publicly funded MBA colleges in Canada here
Executive MBA in Canada
Executive MBA in Canada is offered by the University of Toronto, University of Alberta, York University, Queen’s University, Concordia University, etc. The following points provide important details of Executive MBA in Canada:
1) University of Toronto Executive MBA
The University of Toronto, Rotman School of Management, offers a 13-month executive MBA in Canada designed to provide excellent business knowledge and skills. Some important details of the programme include:
- Total Programme Fee: $124,893 (2023 entry year)
- Admission Requirements: More than 8 years of full-time work experience (more than 3 years in a mid-to-senior managerial role) + undergraduate degree + GMAT/GRE
2) University of Alberta Executive MBA
University of Alberta Executive MBA (EMBA) is a 22-month course for senior-level managers. Important details of the course are given below:
- Tuition Fee: $83,197
- Admission Requirements: 2 Letters of Recommendation + Undergraduate degree + GMAT/GRE + Statement of Intent + 15 years of work experience (average)
3) York University Executive MBA
Kellogg-Schulich Executive MBA (EMBA) is offered at York University and has ranked #1 in Canada by the Economist. Some important details of the programme are given below:
- Tuition: CAD 140,385 (2024-25)
- Admission Requirements: Transcripts + Resume + Essay + 2 Letters of References + Letter of Intent + GMAT + IELTS/TOEFL
4) Queen’s University Executive MBA
Executive MBA at Queen’s University is offered by Smith School of Business. It is a 16-month programme that can provide an excellent springboard to the careers of its students. Important details of the programme are given below:
- Cost: $105,000
- Admission Requirements: Work experience (10 years average) + Managerial experience
5) Concordia University Executive MBA
John Molson School of Business offers MBA (Executive) at Concordia University. It is a 20-month programme, which is designed to teach practical business knowledge. Important details of the programme are given below:
- Total Tuition Fee: $75,000
- Admission Requirements: Minimum 5 years of work experience + Bachelor’s degree + GMAT + 2 letters of reference + statement of purpose + English language proficiency
MBA Scholarships in Canada
MBA, being a professional course, has a limited scope of fetching financial aid for international students. However, some students can get scholarships based on their excellent academic background, work experience, and other achievements relevant to the program. Many times students are awarded part waiver because of their top score on GMAT and other academic achievements. Apart from this, candidates can apply to these popular scholarship programs:
- Ontario Graduate Scholarships (OGS): The aim of this fellowship is to provide quality education at the master's and doctoral levels. It is funded by the government.
- University of Waterloo Graduate Scholarship: The University of Waterloo offers this scholarship to meritorious students who are pursuing graduate studies.
- Central Sector Scheme of National Overseas Scholarship for SC etc. candidates- (All countries except the UK): This scholarship is awarded to meritorious students who wish to pursue a master's or PhD abroad.
- Scotiabank Scholarship: Scotiabank provides a scholarship of CAD 30,000.
- Go Clean Scholarship: This scholarship is awarded to meritorious students who want to pursue their higher studies abroad.
- There are various other scholarships such as the Claude Winspear MBA Award, Accelerated Career Scholarship, Robert Krembil Scholarship of Merit, etc. which are provided by various institutions.
Check out the list of MBA colleges offering scholarships in Canada here
MBA in Canada Requirements
It is vital for students to understand the masters in Canada requirements. Some of the basic requirements for getting admission to MBA programs:
- Bachelor’s degree: The candidate must have a bachelor's degree from a recognized university/institution.
- Work experience: For MBA admissions, universities usually give preference to those candidates who have work experience. It is not a mandatory requirement; however, it gives an edge to the aspirants over others. Some universities may keep work experience as a mandatory criterion. It is advisable for the candidates to check the admissions criteria well in advance to avoid last-minute confusion.
- English Language Proficiency: If the candidates belong to a non-native English-speaking country then they need to prove their English language proficiency. They need to secure a good IELTS or TOEFL score for securing admission.
- GMAT: A good GMAT score is required to get into a top university/college to pursue an MBA program in Canada. Not only does it increase your chances of selection, but also opens up the doors for possible scholarships.
Most universities require candidates to submit a GMAT score for admissions. You need to visit the official GMAT website and register for the test. Also, every college has a different GMAT score requirement. So, you must check the average GMAT scores of the universities that you want to target and study hard accordingly.
MBA in Canada: Application Process
As the whole application process is quite lengthy make sure to apply at least 15 to 18 months before the beginning of your target session. Also, you can get the application forms for most of the universities on their official websites.
Documents required for the application process:
- Academic record: It includes all documents related to your graduate program, including the transcripts.
- Standard admission tests: GMAT test scores and English language proficiency test (TOEFL/IELTS) scores.
- Bank statements and financial documents.
- Work experience: Documents highlighting your work experience.
- Letters of Recommendation from your existing and previous supervisors. It can be your current and previous managers/supervisors and your graduate faculty who have judged your work closely. Different universities have different requirements for Letters of Recommendation.
- Admission Essay or Statement of Purpose: It is one of the key elements of the application. This helps the admissions committee to evaluate the aspirant.
- Visa documents: Documents related to visa.
MBA Jobs in Canada
There is no dearth of opportunities for the right candidate. MBA graduates receive high salaries in various lucrative roles. After completing their MBA program, they can work in various sectors:
- Finance and Accounting
- General Management
- IT services
- Healthcare Management
- Oil and Gas
- Legal jobs
Apart from this, MBA graduates can also work for various departments of the Canadian government and help in running the administration effectively. Moreover, management graduates can also work in technical management, sales, marketing, product, and project management.
Top Companies for MBA in Canada
Some of the top recruiters that hire MBA graduates of Canadian universities are given in the table below:
|MBA in Canada Top Recruiters|
|Apple||Bank of America||Barclays|
|Deloitte (Canada)||eBay||Hewlett-Packard Enterprises|
MBA in Canada: Post-Study Work
International students who pursued their MBA from an institution approved by the provincial or territorial government are eligible to apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP). Those who are pursuing 2 year MBA program can stay up to three years after completion of their course. Also, the programs where the time duration ranges from 8 months to 2 years, students can stay up to the length of the study program. Apart from this, qualified students can also apply for permanent residency through the Express Entry program.
PR after MBA in Canada
After completing an MBA in Canada, students may work for up to 3 years. During this time, they may apply for a Canada PR. Having completed an MBA, students will be working in TEER 0 (management jobs) or TEER 1 (professional jobs that require a degree from a University) jobs in Canada. They may apply for a Canada under the Express Entry system. The table given below provides the details of the same:
Canada PR Programme after MBA
Canadian Experience Class (Under Express Entry System)
12 months of work experience in TEER 0 to 3
Federal Skilled Trades Program (Under Express Entry System)
Federal Skilled Worker Program (Under Express Entry System)
1-year work experience in TEER 0 to 3
MBA in Canada vs MBA in USA
In this section of the article, we will compare an MBA in Canada with an MBA in USA. We have considered different aspects while comparing both MBAs:
- Course Structure: The academic content and curriculum structure of MBA programmes in Canada and the United States are nearly comparable. Both countries have rigorous and comprehensive curricula covering a wide range of business disciplines such as finance, marketing, strategy, and leadership.
- Duration: MBA programmes in the United States and Canada typically last two years. It should be noted, however, that some MBA programmes in Canada may have shorter durations ranging from 12 to 16 months.
- Rankings & Reputation: MBA programmes in the United States are often more prestigious and internationally recognised than those in Canada. American colleges like Harvard, Stanford, and Wharton are well-known for their MBA programmes and have a long history of distinction. It is worth noting, however, that Canada boasts notable business institutions, such as the Rotman School of Management at the University of Toronto and the Ivey Business School at Western University.
- Cost: The cost of pursuing an MBA in Canada is slightly lower than in the USA. Tuition fees for MBA programs in Canada can range from around $30,000 to $60,000 CAD per year, while in the USA, tuition fees can range from $50,000 to $100,000 USD per year.
- Job Opportunities: MBA graduates will find outstanding work possibilities in both Canada and the United States. The United States has a larger economy and more global firms, which may provide more diverse career opportunities. However, Canada has a strong employment market and is known for its accommodating immigration regulations, both of which might benefit international students wishing to work in the country after graduation.
- Permanent Residency: In comparison to the United States, studying for an MBA in Canada may provide smoother avenues to permanent residency. Canada has a number of immigration programmes and laws that encourage overseas students to stay and work in the country after finishing their education, which can be a big advantage for anyone wishing to start a career in Canada.
Why Study in Canada?
Now that we have looked at all the aspects of MBA in Canada and the eligibility for MBA in Canada for Indian students, let us look at some top reasons to study in Canada:
- Quality Academics: Canadian universities and colleges are regarded for having strong academic standards and providing high-quality education. Canadian degrees are widely recognised and respected around the world.
- Affordability: The average tuition fees for study programmes in Canada are lower when compared to other popular study locations such as the United States, the United Kingdom, and Australia.
- Post-Study Work: International students might find plenty of post-graduate work options in Canada. To assist students in transitioning to the workforce after graduation, the Canadian government offers a variety of work permits and immigration pathways.
- Living Standards: In terms of quality of life, Canada routinely rates high. It provides people with a safe and secure environment, great healthcare, and social benefits.
- Pro-Immigration Policies: Immigration regulations in Canada assist international students in their path to permanent status. Studying in Canada can help you achieve your long-term ambitions of living and working there.
For help with university applications, students seeking to study abroad can contact our Shiksha Study Abroad Counsellors. The comments section below allows candidates to contact us as well.
MBA in Canada FAQs
Q. Is Canada good for MBA?
A. Canada is one of the best study abroad destinations when it comes to pursuing MBA. It is home to some of the top-ranked Universities in the world. The Canadian economy has a strong base and the per-capital income in Canada is $51,690 as per the World Bank data. Canadian universities offer high-quality education and ample networking opportunities. In addition to all this, Canada has a multicultural society, pro-immigration policies, and high living standards. Thus, if you secure admission to a good Canadian university, you can expect a decent ROI.
Q. What is Canada MBA fees?
A. The average cost of pursuing an MBA in Canada is reasonable as compared to other countries such as the US. You can expect to spend around INR 25 lakhs per year towards your tuition fee. However, students are advised to check the official webpage of various Canadian Universities in order to gain knowledge about the exact fee details. Students can apply for scholarships and/or work part-time if they wish to reduce the cost of pursuing an MBA in Canada. It is advised that the students pay attention to their application process and GMAT scores in order to become eligible for scholarships.
Q. How do I get admission in MBA in Canada?
A. To get admission to a Canadian MBA program you need to fulfil their entry requirements. MBA admission requirements in Canada include a valid GMAT or GRE score, work experience (usually 2 years or more), proof of English language proficiency (IELTS, PTE, TOEFL, Duolingo, etc.), a statement of purpose, letters of recommendation, resume, admission essays, etc. Students are advised to check the exact admission requirements for MBA in Canada on the official webpage of the University. Once you are sure that you fulfil all the admission requirements, you need to apply for that course. If you get selected, you will have to apply for a Canadian student visa.
Q. Which are the best MBA colleges in Canada?
A. The following MBA colleges have been ranked at the top positions by the QS Global MBA Rankings 2023: Toronto (Rotman), Western (Ivey), McGill (Desautels), Queen's (Smith), York (Schulich), UBC (Sauder), Alberta School of Business, Concordia (John Molson), HEC Montréal, and Dalhousie (Rowe). Each college has different selection criteria and requirements. However, broadly speaking, you will require a valid GMAT score, work experience, proof of English language proficiency, a statement of purpose, letters of recommendation, a resume, admission essays, etc. for your application.
Q. What are the job opportunities after MBA from Canada?
A. Canada has a strong economy and the country is home to some of the biggest international firms. As per ca.talent, the average salary of an MBA graduate in Canada is $63,853. Moreover, students can expect to work in various sectors such as finance and accounting, consultancy, general management, oil and gas, IT services, healthcare, education, consulting, power, etc. Some MBA graduates can also work in various departments of the Canadian government. Since MBA has a scope globally, students can expect to gain international exposure and placements as well.
Download this article as PDF to read offlineDownload Guide