Rahul SinghaStudy Abroad Expert
IELTS Registration: Students looking to study abroad are required to go through the IDP IELTS registration process to book an IELTS test date to take the IELTS exam. Among the language exams required for admission to universities abroad, IELTS is the most popular exam among Indian students. It is available in two formats: IELTS Academic and IELTS General. Students who are looking to pursue higher education abroad are required to opt for the IELTS Academic exam, while all other applicants who need IELTS scores for migration and work purposes need to take the IELTS General Training exam. Read: IELTS Academic vs General Tests - What's the Difference between these two? Here in this article, we will look at how to register for the IELTS Academic test. In this article, we will inform you about how to go ahead with your IELTS exam registration. We will inform you everything about the IELTS Registration step by step.
- Latest Updates on IELTS Registrations
- IELTS Registration 2023 (online)
- IELTS 2023 Exam Registration Oflline Mode
- IELTS Slot Booking 2023
- Documents Required for IELTS Exam Registration
- IELTS Exam Dates 2023
- IELTS Center
- Cancellation or Rescheduling of IELTS Exam
- IELTS on Computer vs IELTS on Paper (CBT vs PBT)
- IELTS Eligibility 2023
- IELTS India Contact information
- IELTS Registration 2023 FAQs
Latest Updates on IELTS Registrations
Shiksha Study Abroad launched Free IELTS Online Classes
From June 2023 onwards, Shiksha Study Abroad have been conducting free IELTS online classes on all weekdays of the month. In these classes, we have been discussing all four topics that are covered in the four sections of the IELTS exam – Reading, Writing, Listening and Speaking in detail. Candidates would also be given an opportunity to clear their doubts at the end of every class by directly interacting with our IELTS preparation expert, Disha Wahi (TESOL Certified Trainer). That is not all, Disha is also providing online questionnaires at the end of every section and IELTS practice papers for candidates to self-assess their IELTS preparations. To register for your Free Online IELTS Classes, Click Here
IDP to administer IELTS Exam in India
IELTS Tests in India will be administered by IDP after it acquired 100% stakes from the British Council. It is expected that the distribution of IELTS through IDP in India would simplify the process and improve customers' experience. Candidates can go ahead with the IDP IELTS registration either online or offline mode. The IELTS test is administered in over 1,600 locations in more than 140 countries, so, you are required to find the nearest IELTS test centre before going ahead with your IELTS exam registration. For IELTS exam booking try to choose the test centre near your home, so, you need not travel far on the exam test day. With 85 test locations across India, IDP IELTS brings you the convenience of booking the IELTS test centre near you.
Predict your English proficiency score by sharing few details
IELTS Registration 2023 (online)
IDP IELTS Registration: In this section, we are going to be looking IELTS exam registration process in detail. The IELTS Paper-delivered test is available on 48 fixed dates per year (up to four times a month), depending on local demand. The candidates have the liberty of giving the exam on any of the 48 days at their convenience. Candidates who are looking to attempt the IELTS Computer-delivered test would be glad to know that the test is available seven days a week and up to 3 times a day to accommodate a large number of IELTS test takers.
Apart from this, candidates can also reattempt the exam whenever they want. Also, there is no limit for giving the IELTS test, candidates can give the IELTS exam as many times as they want or till they reach their dream score. However, every time the candidate has to pay the exam fee of INR 16,250. Candidates need to go through the IDP IELTS registration every time they want to take the test. One can book the IELTS test online or visit the nearest IDP branch for offline IELTS booking.
Steps to register for the IELTS exam (step-by-step)
Step 1: Candidates are required to log into their IDP IELTS India website
Step 2: They would be then required to select: 'Register for IELTS' to create their IDP IELTS Login
Step 3: Candidates would be required to select their preferred test – computer-delivered IELTS/ paper-based
Step 4: Candidates would be then required to select their test type/module – Academic or General Training for IELTS
Step 5: Candidates are required to select their desired test location/city (from the available IELTS test centres in India)
Step 6: On completion of the above-mentioned steps, candidates would find a list of dates available for their preferences. Select your desired date and time slot
Step 7a: Candidates would be required to fill up their details and complete their online application. Remember, you will also have to upload a clear, scanned colour copy of your passport to complete the process
Step 7b: Give your registration details.
Step 7c: Upload copies of your Passport.
Step 8: Select the list of colleges where you want to send your Score Report.
Step 9: Review your details one last time before making payment.
Step 10: Pay the IELTS exam fee of INR 16,250.
Step 11: Once the payment has been made. Candidates can take a printout of the acknowledgement receipt.
After online registration, you will receive an acknowledgement on the registered email/phone number. For paper-based IELTS you can book a slot online as per your preferred date and time. In case you will not get a preferred slot then automatically, a time slot will be allocated to you.
IELTS 2023 Exam Registration Oflline Mode
Students wanting to take the IELTS exam can walk into any IDP Branch/head office and register using either of the following methods:
Method - 1
- Candidates can register online using the computer at the IDP Branch/head office and pay the IELTS test fee. They would get an immediate confirmation of their seat (this is identical to online registration)
- Candidates would also be required to submit a photocopy of their Passport (first and last page), and observation pages, if any
- Submit the duly signed Terms & Conditions document. Do read it properly before handing it over
- Receive your instant acknowledgement letter that confirms your seat in the test
Method - 2
- In the second method, candidates would be required to fill out the application form available at the IDP office/ Input Node
- They would be then required to sign the Terms & Conditions document provided with the application form
- Append a photocopy of their Passport (first and last page), and observation pages, if any
- Pay the test fee
- Upon payment, request the staff (IDP branch / Input Node) to submit your application form in the online registration system and provide you with the acknowledgement slip of your test booking along with a tentative seat reservation.
Register by courier
- In this alternative method, candidates would be required to download the application form from the official website or collect the application form from their nearest IDP branch office or Input Node.
- test takers would be required to fill out the application form and submit the duly signed Terms & Conditions document. Do read it properly before handing it over
- Submit a photocopy of your Passport (first and last page), and observation pages, if any
- Pay the IELTS exam fee, and
- Send the duly filled completed application form with all necessary documents and test fee to:
IDP Education India Pvt. Ltd.
IDP Head Office
Global Gateway Towers, Tower-B, 5th Floor,
Sikanderpur Ghosi, Sector-26, M.G. Road,
Gurugram -122002 Haryana, India
Phone: 1800-102-4544 (Mon to Sat - 9:00 AM to 5:30 PM)
Your application will be processed upon receipt of the documents and test fee. Please note that the seat allotment for your selected date will be subject to availability.
Download this guide to read it offline
IELTS Slot Booking 2023
IDP IELTS Booking: For booking a slot for the IELTS exam, the aspirant needs a valid passport and a debit/credit card to pay the IELTS registration fee of INR 16,250.
IELTS Slot Booking (step-by-step)
- Candidates are required to find an IELTS Test Center in their preferred location. Test takers can visit our IELTS test centre page or the official website to know about the authorized centres responsible for conducting the IELTS exam in India.
- Test takers would be then required to check the available test dates at the test centers. Test dates may vary depending on the location and demand. It is advisable to plan ahead and choose a date that allows sufficient time for preparation.
- Candidates would be then required to fill out the online registration form on the official IELTS website, provide the required personal details, including identification information (e.g., passport or Aadhaar card), contact information, and select the test type (Academic or General Training).
- Test takers would be then required to make the payment for the IELTS exam fee online of INR 16,250. The payment can be made through various online modes such as credit/debit cards, net banking, or other designated payment methods.
- Once the registration is complete and the payment has successfully gone through, candidates would receive a confirmation email or receipt containing their test date, time, and venue. It is important to keep this information safe for future reference. Remember to book your IELTS slot well in advance to secure your preferred test date and location, as popular dates can fill up quickly.
- Candidates are required to prepare for the IELTS exam using credible IELTS preparation materials, practice tests, and other resources. Familiarize yourself with the test format and content to improve your chances of success.
- The aspirant must be above the age of 16 for taking the IELTS exam.
- The information provided by the aspirant while registering should match the information in the passport.
- The candidates need to carry their passports while going for the test.
- The aspirants need to keep their debit/credit cards handy while registering for the IELTS exam.
Documents Required for IELTS Exam Registration
The only document required in the IELTS registration process is a valid Indian passport. Candidates would be required to provide details of their passports during the registration process along with a scanned copy of the front and the back at the time of the IELTS registration process. And more importantly, IELTS test takers would have to carry their passports to the test centre on the test day.
IELTS Exam Dates 2023
IDP IELTS India has allocated 48 days per year for the IELTS paper-based exam. Candidates who would be opting for the IELTS Computer based test would be glad to know that the test is available seven days a week and up to 3 times a day. You can choose any one date according to your convenience. After you decide on when to start preparing for IELTS, you should choose a date at least three to four months before the college application deadline. Doing this should give you plenty of time to retake the exam if you feel the first attempt wasn’t great.
IELTS Exam Centres: The IELTS India exam is conducted and offered on-demand around the year at the following IELTS centres near you:
IELTS Partners has also launched the IELTS Indicator, an online English language test for students who are affected by COVID-19 and are not able to attend the IELTS test center. IELTS Indicator will assess the student's English language skills in Reading, Writing, Listening and Speaking. Students can take the test online from their homes.
Cancellation or Rescheduling of IELTS Exam
In this section, we are going to be discussing the Cancellation and Rescheduling of the IELTS Exam.
Rescheduling your IELTS Exam
Candidates who wish to change their test date or reschedule their IELTS exam are required to raise a request for a test day transfer at least five weeks before their already booked test date. Also, the new test date must be within three months of the original test date. Candidates need to pay an administrative charge of INR 3,300 inclusive of all taxes for the transfer of the test date.
- If you cancel your IELTS application more than five weeks before the test date, you will receive a refund minus a 25% administrative fee.
- If you cancel the IELTS exam less than five weeks ahead of the test date, you will receive no refund.
- In case you fail to appear for the test, then also you will not receive any refund. This is also considered a cancellation.
Those who can produce a medical certificate within 5 days of the test date can receive a refund after deducting the local administrative cost.
IELTS on Computer vs IELTS on Paper (CBT vs PBT)
The IELTS exam is available in two formats Computer-delivered IELTS and Paper delivered IELTS Exam. Candidates looking to opt for the IELTS Computer-based test (CBT) should note that the test is available 3 times a day, 7 days a week. Computer-based IELTS is the same in content, structure, and format. Those who prefer typing can go for Computer-based IELTS there you can take the Reading, Writing, and Listening tests on a computer while the Speaking test would be with a certified IELTS examiner. The biggest advantage of taking the IELTS on the computer is one gets the results in 3-5 days.
While those opting for paper-based IELTS can take the Reading, Writing, and Listening sections on paper with an HB pencil or a pen. The Speaking test will be face-to-face with a trained IELTS examiner. The results of the paper-based IELTS are announced after 13 calendar days from the test date. Read: Difference Between IELTS on computer vs IELTS on paper Earlier candidates were able to book their slot through British Council IELTS registration but now they are required to do the IELTS exam registration through IDP. Below we have mentioned the IDP IELTS registration process to help you register for the IELTS test.
IELTS Eligibility 2023
The IELTS exam is open to all and there are no specific eligibility criteria. The respective institutes may have different eligibility criteria but the IELTS has no specific selection criteria. The IELTS test is recommended for candidates who are 16 years and above.
IELTS Exam Eligibility: Age Criteria
As such, there is no age limit set by the IELTS administrators (IDP or British Council), however, it is not recommended for candidates below 16 years.
IELTS Eligibility: Educational Eligibility
As such, there are no IELTS eligibility criteria set by the IDP, the conducting body of IELTS. Anyone who wishes to pursue higher studies abroad or wants to work abroad can attempt the IELTS IDP exam (both Academic and General Training). However, candidates should always check the eligibility criteria set by the educational institution or organization to which they are applying.
IELTS India Contact information
IDP Head Office
Global Gateway Towers, Tower-B, 5th Floor,
Sikanderpur Ghosi, Sector-26, M.G. Road,
Gurugram -122002 Haryana, India
Phone: 1800-102-4544 (Mon to Sat - 9:00 AM to 5:30 PM)
Related articles about IELTS Exam:
- Applicants to UK universities need to register separately for 'IELTS for UKVI' language test
- IELTS is more popular in Europe as the English Proficiency Test
- FAQs for IELTS Exam 2023
Still, have more questions about IELTS? Check out IELTS frequently asked questions and learn more about the test and IELTS exam registration.
IELTS Registration 2023 FAQs
How many days before can I register for the IELTS exam?
The registration period for the IELTS (International English Language Testing System) exam opens several months in advance, allowing candidates to secure their preferred test date and location. It is recommended to register for the exam as soon as possible to ensure availability and to provide sufficient time for preparation. Test centers often have limited seats, particularly during peak periods, so early registration increases the likelihood of securing a spot on the desired test date. To find the specific registration details and timelines for the IELTS exam in your location, you can visit the official IELTS website or contact the test center where you plan to take the exam.
What is the fee of the IELTS exam in India?
As mentioned in the article above, the IELTS (International English Language Testing System) exam fee in India is INR 16,250. Candidates would be required to pay the IELTS exam fee of INR 16,250 for every time he/she decides to take the IELTS exam. However, it's important to note that exam fees can be subject to change. To obtain the most accurate and up-to-date information on the exam fee in India, IELTS test takers can visit our IELTS exam fee page above or visit the official IELTS website or contact the test center directly.
Can I prepare for the IELTS exam in 15 days?
While the duration of 15 days is relatively short, it is still possible to make some progress in preparing for the IELTS (International English Language Testing System) exam. The key is to create a focused study plan and make the most of the available time. Here are some tips to maximize your preparation in 15 days: Familiarize yourself with the test format; Identify your strengths and weaknesses; Practice sample questions and past papers; Improve your grammar and sentence structure; Develop time management skills and Seek guidance and feedback. Remember, while 15 days may not allow for extensive preparation, consistent and focused studying can still help you improve your skills and increase your chances of achieving a satisfactory score.
Can a student get 6.5 Bands in IELTS in one month of preparation?
Achieving a specific band score in the IELTS (International English Language Testing System) exam within a month of preparation depends on various factors, including your starting level of English proficiency, the amount of time and effort you can dedicate to studying, and your ability to grasp and apply new language skills. While it is challenging to guarantee a specific score, it is possible to make significant progress in one month with focused and consistent preparation. To increase your chances of reaching a 6.5 band score in one month, consider the following tips: Familiarize yourself with the test format and requirements; Assess your current level; Create a study plan; Practice with official materials; Focus on target skills and Seek feedback and guidance. Remember that individual results may vary, and success ultimately depends on your effort, focus, and dedication to studying. Consistent practice, targeted preparation, and a positive mindset can greatly enhance your chances of achieving your desired band score in the IELTS exam.
How many attempts are possible for a student looking to take the IELTS?
The number of attempts a student can make for the IELTS exam in a given year is not strictly limited. Generally, students can take the IELTS (International English Language Testing System) as many times as they wish, provided there are available test dates and they are willing to pay the IELTS exam fee of INR 16,250 for each attempt. However, it is important to note that frequent retesting without sufficient preparation may not yield desired results, as the exam requires a certain level of English language proficiency. It is advisable for students to focus on improving their skills before attempting the exam again.
How can Indian students register for the IELTS exam?
To register for the IELTS (International English Language Testing System) exam from India, prospective test takers are required to follow these steps:
- Candidates are required to log into their IDP IELTS India website
- They would be then required to select: 'Register for IELTS' to create their IDP IELTS Login
- Candidates would be required to select their preferred test – computer-delivered IELTS/ paper-based (IELTS, IELTS for UKVI or Life Skills)
- Candidates would be then required to select their test type/module – Academic or General Training for IELTS, IELTS for UKVI, A1 and B1 for Life Skills (be extremely careful while choosing the module you wish to take)
- Candidates are required to pick their desired test location/city (from the available IELTS test centres in India)
- On completion of the above-mentioned steps, candidates would find a list of dates available for their preferences. Select your desired date and time slot
- Candidates would be required to fill up their details and complete their online application. Remember, you will also have to upload a clear, scanned colour copy of your passport to complete the process
- Candidates would be then required to pay the IELTS exam fee of INR 16,250
- Once your test date is booked, candidates will receive an acknowledgement on their registered email/phone number. For the Speaking test, you can book a slot online on your preferred date and time (Only applicable for Paper-based IELTS). If you fail to choose a slot within the stated time period, a time slot will be automatically allocated to you.
How many years is the IELTS exam valid for?
The IELTS (International English Language Testing System) exam results are generally valid for a period of two years from the date of the test. This means that your IELTS scores can be used for admission or immigration purposes within this two-year period. After the validity period expires, the scores are considered outdated and may no longer be accepted by institutions or immigration authorities. It is important to note that individual institutions or organizations may have their own policies regarding score validity, so it is always advisable to check with the specific institution or immigration body to confirm the acceptability of your IELTS scores beyond the two-year period.
Is IELTS a difficult exam?
The exam consists of four sections: Listening, Reading, Writing, and Speaking. Each section has its own unique requirements and demands. However, with focused study, practice with sample questions, and familiarity with the test format and scoring criteria students can effectively prepare for the exam. The difficulty level of the IELTS (International English Language Testing System) exam can vary depending on an individual's English language proficiency and their level of preparation. While the IELTS exam may present some challenges, it is designed to assess a wide range of language skills and is considered manageable with proper preparation.
It is important to allocate sufficient time for preparation, work on improving English language skills, and familiarize oneself with the specific requirements of the desired band score. Additionally, seeking guidance from tutors, attending preparatory courses, and utilizing official IELTS study materials can greatly enhance performance. Ultimately, success in the IELTS exam depends on the individual's effort, dedication, and commitment to improving their English language skills through consistent practice and preparation.
Are students required to have a valid Indian passport for IELTS registration?
Candidates should note that it is mandatory for all IELTS test takers to carry their valid Indian passports to the test center and is also an important component of the IELTS registration process. During the registration process, candidates would be asked to provide a valid identification document. And this should preferably be your valid Indian passport.
Is it easy to score 8 Band score in the IELTS exam?
What are the IELTS Exam Dates for 2023?
IELTS Exam Dates are available all-round the year. The IELTS test dates for the computer-delivered test are available seven days a week and up to three times a day to accommodate a large number of test takers. The IDP exam dates for the IELTS Paper-delivered test are available up to 4 times a month making a total of 48 fixed test dates in one calendar year. Candidates are required to visit the official IDP IELTS India website, select their preferred IELTS exam dates and go ahead with the IELTS registration process.