Post Study Work Permits for Indian Students in France 2024

Post Study Work Permits for Indian Students in France 2024

2 mins read1.3K Views 1 Comment
Aishwarya Bhatnagar
Study Abroad Expert
Updated on Apr 11, 2020 15:16 IST

No matter what your reason be, if you are looking for studying abroad, you are also aspiring to look for full time employment after completing your education. There are many reasons why it holds great importance. Studying in the same country can add previous experience on your resume, help you find a permanent place in the country or even help you in repaying that massive student loan. But not everyone can get a job in the college. Jobs might take time and every country have different rules regarding the same for international students. Here’s a look at the Post Study Work Permit and Options available to Indian Students studying in France.

Post Study Work Permissions on Student Visa

Score Predictor

Predict your English proficiency score by sharing few details

Share 12th Board, Percentage, english score
Get estimated scores or IELTS, TOEFL & PTE

There are different kinds of student visas available for France and each kind of student visa has a built in eligibility of post study work permissions. Here’s a quick look at the same.


Post Study Work Permit

Visa de court séjour pour etudes


Visa de long séjour temporaire pour etudes


Visa de long séjour etudes


Simply put, students who are planning to take up small and short term courses in France cannot stay on in France. Only students who are taking up long term courses like bachelors and masters and have a Visa de Long Sejour Etudes or Long Stay Study Visa get the permission to stay on in the country after completing the course.

Tenures allowed

Students Completing Bachelor Studies

Not allowed

Students completing masters’ program

24 month post study work permit

A student, upon completing the studies in France, must, as per the immigration rules of the country, leave France. S/He can, however, apply for residence permit for France if s/he has a paid employment. This is applicable for both bachelor and master’s program and students would have to apply for a work permit.

Download this guide to read it offline

Tell Us About Yourself
When do you plan to start?
Have you given any study abroad exam?

For master’s students, however, there is good news. While bachelor degree holders can stay on only if they have a work permit, on completing the master’s course, a student can apply for and get a temporary residence permit – APS, for a period of 24 months. (It is important to note that earlier the rule states 12 months and to which all students the 24 month period would be applicable is still not clear. The current visa holders already staying in France or about to start their course in August 2016 must seek clarification from the Visa Office.)

What is important to understand that this extended residence permit allows a student only to take up part time employment of up to 964 hours – as allowed to students already studying in French Universities. This relates to about 60% of full employment. If a student, in the interim, is able to find employment that is more than 1.5 times of the minimum wage guarantee, s/he must then apply for a Work Permit.

About the Author
Written by
Aishwarya Bhatnagar
Study Abroad Expert

Aishwarya is a professional Writer currently working as a Study Abroad Expert in the Editorial Team at Shiksha. She has over 5 years of experience and is skilled at creating Online Content with leveraged knowledge i... Read Full Bio

Reviewed by
Expert in France & Germany

Sagar Sharma completed his Bachelor of Business Administration from Uttarakhand Technical University, Dehradun with first class in 2015. He has been employed in the education sector for the past five years. Having w... Read Full Bio



8 years ago

Hello, I am starting my masters degree in France in this October. I have got visa for 1 year but my course is of 15 months. Can you please tell me about the extension of my visa after 1 year and also about the time period for which I can extend my visa to look up for job? Thank you

Reply to


Kanika Khurana

8 years ago

Hi Richa, Congratulations for your masters program. As far as visa is concerned, you can easily apply for an extension of your visa. All you need to remember is to do so while your current visa is still active. Remember, extension can take upto 2 months so we would recommend you ensure the same. A