Post Study Work Permits for Indian Students in France

Post Study Work Permits for Indian Students in France

2 mins read93.0K Views 26 Comments
Anumika Bahukhandi
Study Abroad Expert
Updated on Aug 29, 2023 23:55 IST

No matter what your reason is, if you are looking to study abroad, you are also aspiring to look for full-time employment after completing your education. Studying in the same country can add precious experience to your resume and help you find a permanent place in the country. Jobs might take time and every country has different rules regarding the same for international students. This article explains the rules and guidelines as pertinent for Indian students studying in or planning to study in France.

Post Study Work Permits for Indian Students in France

Post Study Work Permit on France Student Visa

There are different kinds of student visas available for France and each kind of student visa has built-in eligibility for post-study work permissions. Here’s a quick look at the same.


Post Study Work Permit

Visa de court séjour pour etudes


Visa de long séjour temporaire pour etudes


Visa de long séjour etudes


Simply put, students who are planning to take up small and short-term courses in France cannot stay in France. Only students who are taking up long-term courses like bachelor's and master's and have a Visa de Long Sejour Etudes or Long Stay Study Visa for France get permission to stay in the country after completing the course.

Download this guide to read it offline

Tell Us About Yourself
When do you plan to start?
Have you given any study abroad exam?
422 users downloaded this guide
Score Predictor

Predict your English proficiency score by sharing few details

Share 12th Board, Percentage, english score
Get estimated scores or IELTS, TOEFL & PTE

Tenures Allowed

Students Completing Bachelor Studies

Not allowed

Students completing masters’ program

24-month post-study work permit

A student, upon completing studies in France, must as per the immigration rules of the country, leave France. She/he can, however, apply for a residence permit for France if she/he has paid employment. This is applicable for both bachelor's and master’s programmes and students will have to apply for a work permit.

For master’s students, however, there is good news. While bachelor's degree holders can stay on only if they have a work permit, the students pursuing Masters's from France get an added advantage. On completing the master’s course, a student can apply for and get a temporary residence permit – APS, for a period of 24 months.

You might be interested in these free downloads
Canada Student Visa Guide: Requirements, Fees, Application Process
Canada Student Visa Guide: Requirements, Fees, App...45k downloads
Student Visas for Study Abroad: Requirement, Fees and Application Process
Student Visas for Study Abroad: Requirement, Fees ...16k downloads
Statement of Purpose (SOP): All You Need to Know!
Statement of Purpose (SOP): All You Need to Know!49k downloads

What is important to understand is that this extended residence permit allows a student only to take up part-time employment of up to 964 hours – as allowed to students already studying in French Universities. This relates to about 60% of full employment. If a student, with a work permit, is able to find employment that is more than 1.5 times the minimum wage guarantee, she/he must then apply for a Work Permit. So when deciding on which country to study in, keep these advantages of French opportunities in mind.

Those who hold a ‘passport talent’ residence permit along with the ‘EU Blue Card’, can get an EU long-term residence permit after staying for uninterrupted stay for five years in the EU. Also, candidates need to reside in France continuously for the last two years.

Looking for Abroad Counselling? Get Free Profile Evaluation from Shiksha Expert Counsellors - Sign Up Now

Related Articles

Useful Links

Download this article as PDF to read offline

Download Guide
About the Author
Written by
Anumika Bahukhandi
Study Abroad Expert

Holding an overall experience of 5 years, Anumika Bahukhandi has worked in the field of Journalism as a reporter/journalist, feature writer, and senior sub-editor with renowned media houses. She has been associated ... Read Full Bio

Reviewed by
MBA, MS & UG in Europe

Chandra has been mentoring students for the past seven years and has expertise in overseas counseling for those applying to Sweden, Germany, France, and Ireland. He is a people person and enjoys interacting with peo... Read Full Bio





a year ago

hi Piyush, if you apply for french bschool got admitted and school dont have RNCP certificate nor grande Ecole.Still you can apply for PSA after 2 yr master? and is worth doing master from reputed college without Gradne Ecole nor RNCP ?

Reply to aayu


Anumika BahukhandiStudy Abroad Expert

6 months ago

Hello Aayu. You may apply for an APS visa if you enroll in courses under the RNCP or Grande écoles categories. You can work and reside in France for a period of two years with the aid of an APS visa. You are advised to opt for Grande écoles or RNCP to gain your desired employment opportunity.


Arnav Navghare

a year ago

How about a 1-year master's program? are students still eligible for 2 years Work Permit?

Reply to Arnav Navghare


Piyush Kohli

a year ago

Hi Arnav, if you have completed your master's degree from a French institute then you can apply for a temporary residence permit for a period of 24 months.



2 years ago

Hi Piyush, can a master's student get full time employment during temporary residence permit, which is granted for 24 months post study.

Reply to Kaushalesh


Piyush Kohli

a year ago

Hi Kaushalesh, you can take part-time work, however, you need to find employment with salary more than 1.5 times of the minimum wage guarantee and then you can apply for a work permit.


Kanya Wadhwa

2 years ago

Is there PhD program in France and Germany?

Reply to Kanya Wadhwa


Piyush Kohli

2 years ago

Hi Kanya, please elaborate more on your query and let us know which course you wan to pursue further, so, we can assist you better.


leosam samraj

3 years ago

Hi Piyush, I completed my masters in Engineering in 2015 in France. After that I came back to India. Now I wish to go to France and search a job there. Can I get a work search VISA now?

Reply to leosam samraj

We use cookies to improve your experience. By continuing to browse the site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Cookie Policy.