Rahul SinghaStudy Abroad Expert
Nowadays a lot of IELTS books and reading material are available to prepare best for the IELTS exam. Below we have mentioned the list of popular IELTS books and practice tests that are a must for preparing for the IELTS. The best part about the IELTS books is that one can use these anywhere, in class or at home. Some of the prep material also includes books and CD that includes exercises to learn about all four IELTS skills.
How to Prepare for IELTS
It is obvious that if you want to do well on IELTS you need to have a good command of the English language. Obviously, the best way to improve your skills for this test is to take coaching classes if you are totally new to the basics of the English language. But for those who prefer the option of self-studies, you probably will need to buy a grammar or IELTS book, along with helpful software and CDs.
There are various choices when it comes to buying a good IELTS book, but the final selection will depend on your current English level. However, this list will tell you which IELTS books are the best overall for the general readership.
1. IELTS Cambridge Test Books: There are actual IELTS tests published by IELTS which one can use for IELTS practice. Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS contains four practice tests. They are expensive but useful and authentic to use. These books include speaking test questions and topics.
2. Grammar for IELTS Writing Task 2 E-book: This E-book improves your grammar in easy steps. With this book you can improve your grammar score for writing task 2. Create complex structures and see a range that you can use in an essay. You can learn about different aspects of grammar and improve your accuracy that will help you score more. This book is helpful not just for IELTS but also grammar in general.
3. Ideas for IELTS Essay topics E-book: This book contains more than 150 IELTS essay topics for writing task 2. This is a useful book that will help you with ideas and vocabulary that will increase your score in writing task 2. The language and ideas you will learn from this book help you in getting a higher band score. The book comes in PDF form.
4. IELTS Trainer: This book includes 5 IELTS practice tests and useful advice for IELTS practice. Although they are not published by IELTS but are still quite useful for IELTS practice. The practice test material in the book is for IELTS Academic only.
5. IELTS Official Practice Materials: You can start with the IELTS official practice material and learn the basics about the exam. The Official Cambridge Guide to IELTS is the best book, to begin with, for both IELTS Academic and IELTS General Training. The book will help you understand the pattern of the test and practice all the types of questions asked in different sections of the examination.
6. Cambridge IELTS 10 Student's Book with Answers: Cambridge IELTS 10 includes four authentic IELTS past papers from Cambridge English Language Assessment that are excellent for exam practice. The book includes four complete tests for Academic candidates, plus extra Reading and Writing modules for General Training candidates. The book can be purchased at Amazon.
7. IELTS Trainer: This book includes 6 IELTS practice tests along with useful tips to secure a good IELTS band score. The Cambridge IELTS Trainer includes the practice test material specially crafted for the IELTS academic exam.
8. IELTS Tutor Kit - The IELTS Tutor has a 40 minute CD with an accompanying booklet. This kit has been designed to help non-English speaking students achieve success. Its content is unique and it prepares students for the IELTS Test by providing tips and suggestions in a visual format. It is a self-study aid and if used correctly, it provides students with around 100 hours of tuition.
9. The Cambridge IELTS Course Workbook - Insight into IELTS offers comprehensive preparation for the IELTS. Insight into IELTS also introduces students to the types of tasks they are likely to meet during the exam. This is a workbook providing extensive practice material for the IELTS examination. It prepares students for the updated Speaking Paper and contains vocabulary builder activities to develop the vocabulary. The answer key of the recorded material makes it ideal for self-study.
10. Step Up to IELTS Personal Study Book with Answers – This book is the perfect choice for intermediate-level students who find most IELTS books too challenging for them. This book covers essential exam skills for the Academic Training modules in 60 hours of teaching time. It provides students with advice on how to maximize their band scores. The practice sections at the end of each unit constitute sample IELTS tests.
11. Cambridge Grammar for IELTS Student's Book with Answers and Audio CD - This excellent book fills a crucial gap in the learning materials available to the IELTS students, and is currently the only book that helps IELTS students in this area. Although IELTS doesn't contain a specific grammar module, but the appropriate usage of grammar is undoubtedly important for success in the other modules. All grammar points needed for IELTS are covered in the book and are presented in context through listening and self-discovery activities provided on the CD.
12. Barron’s IELTS Superpack - It is highly detailed and comprehensive. The overall package contains: Academic module practice papers, General module practice papers, Subject review, Audio tracks, and Essential Words. Students who have more than 3 weeks must refer to this resource.
Download this guide to read it offline
Predict your English proficiency score by sharing few details
IELTS Preparation Tips 2023
- Make sure that you understand the pattern of the exam
- Do not utilize multiple resources. Having too many IELTS books on your shelf will only confuse you
- Make sure that you revise the Official Guide multiple times
- Do not skip IELTS practice tests at any cost
- Make sure to revise your notes at least 3 times before the examination
- Keep your language natural and organic. Any forceful use of tough words can be easily spotted by the examiner
IELTS Books FAQs
Q. Which book is best for IELTS preparation?
Q. How can I get 7.5 in IELTS?
Q. How to get 8 bands in IELTS?
Q. How can I prepare for my IELTS at home?
Q. Can I score 9 in IELTS?