Work Permit after Graduation in Switzerland

Work Permit after Graduation in Switzerland

3 mins read8.1K Views Comment
Rahul Singha
Study Abroad Expert
Updated on Nov 19, 2022 14:29 IST
stay back in switzerland

Every year millions of students go to study abroad. Most of the popular destinations are the United States, United Kingdom, Australia and Other European countries. There are several reasons for students to go abroad for studies, one of them is to broaden their education and gain vital skills for achieving their career goals. Among European countries, Switzerland is one of the most sought-after destinations among international students for higher education. Switzerland has some of the best and top-ranked universities in the world. Switzerland offers a world-class education and a very competitive economy. Switzerland is known all over in fields such as training, research, and innovation and is an extremely beautiful country with breathtaking natural scenic beauty. When you enter Switzerland and see the opportunities, standard of life and natural beauty, you may want to stay in the country and work. There can be several reasons to stay and work in Switzerland then mentioned earlier. However, if you decide to stay and work in Switzerland, you need to understand its visa rules and regulations for a work permit after graduation. Check out the Switzerland Study Visa Requirements for more insight into the same.

In this article, we will address this issue and bring you some very crucial and useful information regarding work permits after studying in Switzerland.


Types of Visa

There are several types of visas issued by the Swiss government based on the length of stay and the purpose of the journey in Switzerland.

  • Schengen Visa: This visa is issued for a person wanting to enter Switzerland for a short stay of up to 90 days within a 180-day period. This type of visa is usually issued for tourism, a visit to relatives or friends, short-term language studies, and participating in conferences or in sporting/cultural events.
  • National Visa: This visa is issued for individuals wishing to stay in Switzerland for more than 90 days. The issuance of this visa is subject to the authorization of the Cantonal Migration Authority competent for the intended place of residence. This type of visa is usually issued for long-term study, family reunification, and marriage in Switzerland.
  • Airport Transit Visa: This visa is issued for nationals of certain countries who need a transit visa even if they are staying in the international transit area of the airport.
  • Labour/Work Permit: This type of visa is issued for the admission of foreign workers to an employer in Switzerland. The issuance of this visa is subject to the authorization of the competent Cantonal Migration Authority. This visa is granted only when the requested authorization has been delivered.

Residence Permit

All international students are required to register with the local authority at the place of residence and apply for a residence permit, within 14 days of entering Switzerland. This applies to Swiss citizens too, coming from another canton. This process takes some weeks and sometimes, even months to get a residence permit. Switzerland is divided into several administrations, i.e., canton. All the visa and residence permit-related Immigration formalities must be done in the canton where you will study.

Score Predictor

Predict your IELTS, TOEFL, and PTE in just 4 steps!

Share 12th Board, Percentage, english score
Get estimated scores or IELTS, TOEFL & PTE

All international students other than EU/EFTA nationals must contact the Swiss embassy or consulate in their own country and apply for a visa. Once the immigration or police authorities approve the visa application, the requirements for entry into Switzerland and for residence for the purpose of study are met.

Swiss Work Permit

After the completion of your graduation, you can stay in Switzerland for a maximum of six months and seek a job. You need a residence permit for six months to seek job that is consistent with your qualification.

You need to go to your Cantonal Migration Office and apply for a residence permit and for that you need to provide the following documents:

  • Proof that you have completed your course of study
  • Proof that you can financially support yourself
  • Proof of accommodation

Once you get the job in Switzerland, your employer needs to submit an application to the Cantonal Authority of your place of work. Foreign nationals are permitted to work only if it is proven by the employer that no suitable domestic employees or citizens of states can be found for the job. International students with a degree from a Swiss university may be admitted in derogation if their work is of higher academic or economic interest.

About the Author
Written by
Rahul Singha
Study Abroad Expert

Rahul Singha is a seasoned editor with Shiksha Study Abroad, specializing in overseas education. With over 8 years of domain experience, he has made a significant impact in contributing to the study abroad industry ... Read Full Bio

Browse universities abroad