Most applicants including children who are entering the United States of America are required to pay a Machine Readable Visa (MRV) fee to initiate their US Visa application process. The MRV is a government-mandated visa processing fee that is required to be paid whether your US visa is approved for travel or not.
MRV Receipt number for US Visa: Most applicants including children who are entering the United States of America are required to pay a Machine Readable Visa (MRV) fee to initiate their US Visa application process. The MRV is a government-mandated visa processing fee that is required to be paid whether your visa is approved for travel or not. The MRV fee is non-transferable and non-refundable in nature.
What is MRV Receipt Number?
The receipt generated from the payment of the Machine Readable Visa (MRV) fee is termed the MRV Receipt number. Kindly note that it could take up to two business days for your MRV fee receipt number to be available from the date of payment. MRV fee is valid for one year and with the same fee, a student can apply for a visa anytime within a year as per his/her admission intake.
Predict your English proficiency score by sharing few details
Is MRV Compulsory?
While most applicants are required to pay Machine Readable Visa (MRV) fee to initiate their US Visa application process. It is compulsory for all visa types. Applicants are requested to check the official USA immigration website to know whether they are required to pay MRV or not. Students who are visiting the country on US Student Visa F and M are required to pay an MRV fee of USD 160 which roughly translates to Rs. 11,717. Read: Study in USA
How to Register for MRV Fee Payment?
Follow the below-given steps for registering for MRV fee payment while applying for US visa:
- Step 1: Candidates are required to log in to the online applicant system and create a profile. This will ensure that the proper MRV Fee is paid and activated in a timely manner. The fee amount is generally shown in US Dollars, however, applicants can pay in Indian rupees.
- Step 2: Candidates are required to then click on 'Schedule My Appointment' option on the left-hand side of your screen. Complete Steps for Visa Type, Post, Visa Category and Visa Class.
- Step 3: Once you are on the Payment screen, click on Payment Options to pick your form of payment. Payment options available in India are:
- NEFT (National Electronic Funds Transfer)
- Axis Bank or Citibank branch in India
- IMPS – Payment by Mobile Phone
Do note: that since Indian banks are closed on the second and fourth Saturdays of every month, hence payments on those days would be non-operational.
- Step 4: Pick the payment option that is most convenient for you and make your payment. When you pay the visa fee, you acknowledge that this is a non-refundable visa application processing fee required as a prerequisite to the processing of an application. Kindly note: there is no refund possible regardless of the outcome of the application.
- Step 5: Whichever payment option you choose, you must save your CGI reference number or transaction number. You will not be able to schedule an appointment without your CGI reference or transaction number.
- Step 6: Once you pay your visa fee, you can schedule your interview.
Things to Remember for MRV Receipt Number for US Visa
Looking to book your US Student Visa? keep these pointers in mind while paying the MRV Fee.
- Candidates would be required to make a successful payment before they are permitted to schedule their interview appointment.
- Once the initial interview is scheduled it is important to not miss the date. Because candidates may have to pay a second MRV fee to schedule a second interview. So candidates are reminded to schedule a visa appointment on days they are available so they are not required to pay a second fee. MRV fee is non-refundable.
- Candidates are required to save their receipts with the visa fee receipt number. It cannot be replaced if it is lost. You will not be able to schedule an appointment without your visa fee receipt number.
Sample MRV Receipt Number
this is how an MRV receipt fee would generally look alike. this is a standard sample and don't get alarmed if your receipt does not resemble the same. just make sure you are paying your MRV Fee on the official site.
Want to know more about studying in the US, Check the articles below:
How to Generate MRV Fee Receipt?
In order to generate the MRV fee receipt, applicants can follow these simple steps given below for reference:
- Log on to the website USVAC and look for the option to add the reference number of the MRV fee.
- Once the reference number of the MRV fee is added, applicants will be able to access and download the MRV fee receipt.
- Since the MRV fee is valid for a year, it can be accessed online from the time of payment till the end of the deadline of one year.
- Applicants will have to keep a copy of the MRV fee because, once the one-year lapses, applicants will not be able to access it again or be able to schedule the student visa interview.
Please ensure that the fee is kept in order so that for any reference at any point in time, the applicant is able to present it whenever requested.
Looking for US university admission queries? Sign up at https://studyabroad.shiksha.com/apply for admission and application-related queries.
MRV Receipt for US Visa FAQs
Q. Who pays the MRV fee?
A. Non-immigrant applicants or students who are applying for higher education in the USA pay the MRV fee or commonly referred to as Machine Readable Visa fee. This is an essential step towards submitting a consolidated visa fees. It takes around two to four business days for the MRV fee to reflect. In case the applicants are unable to generate the fee receipt, they can get in touch with their banks for transaction history or request the US Consulate for a confirmation.
Q. Can I appear for the visa interview without the MRV fee receipt?
A. No, MRV fee receipt is a mandatory par of the US visa application and interview process for international students. Hence, those who are unable to keep a record of the MRV fee might not be able to get their student visa application generated. Thus, once the applicant pays the MRV fee they can easily apply for US student visa interview slots. Please note, reference of the MRV fee is absolutely necessary and should not be avoided at any cost.
Q. Can I pay for SEVIS fee before the MRV fee?
A. No, SEVIS fee is paid three days prior to the US student visa interview of the applicant, thus, its basically applied before the applicant goes for an interview. The MRV fee is paid as part of the US student visa application fee which for F-1 visa holding or applying students is USD 185. Please ensure that both the fee are paid and the reference of the fee are given beforehand while appearing for the visa interview at the US Consulate. Applicants without any of these fee may be rejected for a student visa.
Q. For how long is the MRV fee valid for?
A. The MRV fee is valid for 365 days or one year from payment of fee. Only within this timeline, applicants can schedule their US student visa interview or request for an interview waiver. Thus, applicants who have applied for admissions one year prior to the actual start date in US universities, will have ample time to prepare for their interview once they pay the MRV fee. There is enough time period between submitting the MRV fee and scheduling a student visa interview at the nearest US Embassy in the country.
Q. How do I get MRV receipt number after IMPS transfer?
A. Once the applicant makes the MRV payment via IMPS transfer, the registered phone number of the account holder will get a 12-digit transaction number, the last 10 digits will be the MRV fee receipt number. Applicants can use this 10 digit IMPS transaction number for scheduling a visa interview also and as reference for future. Thus, ensure that the number is in place so that if at all required, MRV fee receipt can be generated online also with ease.
Download this article as PDF to read offlineDownload Guide