Exams Required to Study in Australia

Exams Required to Study in Australia

3 mins read27.6K Views 40 Comments
Aishwarya Bhatnagar
Study Abroad Expert
Updated on Jan 31, 2023 18:42 IST

Exams needed to study in Australia

Prospective applicants choosing to apply to Australian Universities need to demonstrate an adequate level of English language proficiency required to pursue higher studies in Australia. This is also required during the procurement of a student visa. Major test results accepted by the Australian Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) for visa purposes are IELTS, TOEFL, CAE and PTE. This article focuses majorly on the English language exams required to study in Australia which is mandatory for submission if applying as an international student. Read on for detailed information.

English Language Tests to Study in Australia

Universities and colleges set their own English language requirements for course entry and the score required for entry to a course may defer from the scores required to secure a visa. However, IELTS is the most commonly accepted English language test in Australia and it is the main test for students seeking enrolment in an Australian Institution. (Students should check the entry requirements of their desired institution). Given below is an overview of the various tests accepted by Department of Education, Australian Govt.

International English Language Testing System (IELTS)

The IELTS Australia test is conducted in more than 35 countries. IELTS is jointly managed by British Council, IDP: IELTS Australia and the University of Cambridge ESOL Examinations (Cambridge ESOL). It is conducted through more than 800 test centres and locations in over 130 countries.

Score Predictor

Predict your IELTS, TOEFL, and PTE in just 4 steps!

Share 12th Board, Percentage, english score
Get estimated scores or IELTS, TOEFL & PTE

Read more about: IELTS registration

Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)

TOEFL scores are accepted for both admission and visa procurement. It is one of the most accepted and most respected tests among universities, agencies and other institutions all around the world. TOEFL test content is 100% academic. The TOEFL iBTTM is given 30-40 times a year, at thousands of secure, Internet-based test sites around the globe. Whereas, the TOEFL Paper-based Test (or TOEFL PBT) is offered in areas where the internet-based test is not available. It is given 6 times a year.

Pearson Test of English (PTE Academic)

PTE Academic is accepted is now accepted by more than 150 institutions in Australia that include over 80% of TAFEs. It is also accepted by DIAC for student visas. Students can take the test at twelve cities in India. However, test takers should crosscheck the score requirements with both DIAC and their desired institutions.

In case your English language proficiency score is not up to the mark, you can enrol in an English language course to prepare you for further study. Almost all Australian universities have in-campus English language centres or have links with English language colleges.

Read: PTE Exam Slot

Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) Certificates

Students can now demonstrate their English language skills needed for academic success through Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) scores. It is also accepted by the Australian Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) for the visa application process. Since the test is also run by the University of Cambridge ESOL Examinations (Cambridge ESOL), its score is equivalent to the IELTS score and the equivalency is accepted by DIAC.

Read more:

Registration Fee for ELP Tests

The following table summarises the registration fees and important dates for each of the above-given English language proficiency tests, for those who would be choosing to appear for these exams:

ELP Tests Registration Fees Important Dates
TOEFL INR 14,424 TOEFL Important Dates
IELTS INR 15,000 IELTS Test Dates
PTE Academic INR 14,700 PTE Test Dates

Indian students applying for admission to Australian Universities can submit any one of the test scores depending on their course and university.

About the Author
Written by
Aishwarya Bhatnagar
Study Abroad Expert

Aishwarya is a professional Writer currently working as a Study Abroad Expert in the Editorial Team at Shiksha. She has over 5 years of experience and is skilled at creating Online Content with leveraged knowledge i... Read Full Bio

Reviewed by
All courses in ANZ

Armed with B.Com from Delhi University, Anuradha Sharma has accumulated rich experience as an education counsellor. She is especially adept at handling Australia and NZ admission procedure. Before becoming a GTE Exp... Read Full Bio

Browse universities abroad




Yogesh Dhankar

a year ago

Sir i am in 12th class now and i have got letter of recommendation from school :According which i have to give exam from angle of going to australia

Reply to Yogesh Dhankar


Aishwarya BhatnagarStudy Abroad Expert

a year ago

Hello Yogesh, the exams that you'll have to appear for as I understand will be for an undergraduate course. You will have to check the university you are applying to and the course requirements. You will definitely have to appear for an English language proficiency tests as mentioned in this article



Anonymous Boy

4 years ago

I have 89% in 10th 69% in 12th And 60% in btech cse ielts 6.5 Can i get admission in Australia for masters degree in data science

Reply to Anonymous Boy


Rahul Singha

4 years ago

hello. get all the information about studying in Universities in Australia along with eligibility guidelines and fee structure, here: https://studyabroad.shiksha.com/australia


Hema Sree

5 years ago

Hi I want to pursue my masters degree in electronic and communication engineering Which course is best for that

Reply to Hema Sree

Hi, I want to pursue a degree in forensic anthropology, which institute should I look out for.. suggestions please

Reply to Aarthi Dharmalingam


Riddhi Jadhav

6 years ago

I want to pursue B.Sc. in zoology in an Australian university. Please may I get the information about the exams that I'll have to give.

Reply to Riddhi Jadhav

HI Riddhi, typically the IELTS must be taken to meet the English language requirements. Any other exam if required will depend on the university's admission norms.