Scholarships in the United Kingdom are offered to international students as on merit, need, and course. Depending on the course and the university, these scholarships are either fully-paid or partially paid.
UK Scholarships Eligibility Criteria for Indian Students
One of the most important criteria to apply for most scholarships is a good academic score. However, there are several other factors that are responsible for granting scholarships to students. Students must work on their overall profile development as well. Indian students who are looking to apply for UK scholarships must keep factors like country, university, and course in mind. To apply for scholarships, meeting the eligibility requirements and submitting an application would suffice.
What do UK Scholarships Cover?
Generally, scholarships offer a deduction on the total tuition fee, but some scholarships award other forms of aid like living expenses, airfare, and visa fees based on the applicant's academic excellence and background. These scholarship programmes and other types of financial aid are managed by the British Council and other associated organizations.
Predict your English proficiency score by sharing few details
Top 10 UK Scholarships for Indian Students in 2023
Given below is the list of popular scholarships for Indian students to study in UK.
- Chevening Scholarships for Indian and International Students – The global scholarship program of the Government of the United Kingdom (UK), the Chevening Scholarship aids academically outstanding students who have shown prior leadership skills and exceptional performances in their respective fields. It covers the tuition fee, flight fare, and living expenses of students. Students who want to pursue a one-year master’s program in the UK can apply for this scholarship. Also, note that these scholarships are fully funded. The following courses are not eligible for this scholarship: part-time, distance learning, less than 9-months in duration, more than 12-months in duration, PhD or DPhil, and taught with more than one month of study outside the UK.
- Rhodes Scholarships - The Rhodes Scholarship is a fully funded, full-time, postgraduate award that allows talented young people from around the world to study at the University of Oxford. Rhodes Scholars come to the UK for two or more years. These scholars can apply to full-time postgraduate courses offered by Oxford University. This scholarship covers course fees at Oxford University and the actual stipend. With the help of the stipend, scholars can pay their living expenses, including accommodation. For the year 2022-23, the stipend was £18,180 per annum (£ 1,515 per month). After the selection of the scholarship, the Rhodes Trust shall cover the application fee to apply at the University of Oxford, the student visa fee, the associated International Health Surcharge, and two economy class flights (to and from the UK, for the beginning and end of the studies).
- Erasmus Mundus - Erasmus Mundus Joint Masters are offered by many higher education institutes and run across various countries. Students from all over the world can apply for this scholarship. Erasmus Mundus Joint Masters Scholarship covers the cost of students’ participation in the programme, travel and living expenses. The scholarship amount varies according to the level of studies / research / teaching, nationality of a student, and the duration of the course.
- Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship - The Commonwealth Scholarship Commission in the UK provides scholarships and fellowships to students belonging to the Commonwealth countries. All those Indian students who want to get a master’s degree or a PhD in the UK can apply for this scholarship. Under this scholarship, tuition fees, airfare, personal and maintenance expenses are covered. The Commonwealth Scholarship Commission offers the following types of awards: Commonwealth PhD Scholarships, Commonwealth Split-site Scholarships, Commonwealth Master's Scholarships, Commonwealth Shared Scholarships, Commonwealth Distance learning Scholarships, Commonwealth PhD Scholarships, and Commonwealth Professional Fellowships. Students need to apply through a National Nominating Agency , a university , or a Non-Governmental Organisation.
- GREAT Scholarships - For the 2023-24 academic year, there are 25 postgraduate scholarships available from UK universities across numerous subjects for students from India. The amount of each scholarship is a minimum of £10,000 in reference to the tuition fee for a one-year postgraduate course. This scholarship is jointly funded by the UK government’s GREAT Britain Campaign and the British Council with participating UK higher education institutions.
Check: PhD Scholarships in the UK
Other Popular UK Scholarships for Indian students
- Dr. Manmohan Singh Scholarships - St John’s College has launched the Dr. Manmohan Singh Scholarships in honor of Dr. Singh. These awards will enable academically outstanding Indian students to come to St. John’s College, the University of Cambridge to study for doctoral degrees in subjects like Science & Technology, Economics, and Social Sciences. Applications in Aerospace Engineering and Energy Studies will be given preference. The scholarships are fully funded and cover academic fees, international airfare, the monthly stipend to cover living expenses, UK visa.
- Felix Scholarships - These scholarships are available for academically outperforming underprivileged students from India and other developing countries. To apply for these scholarships, students must be less than 30 years of age and must hold a bachelor’s degree from a renowned Indian university. Felix scholarship gives the opportunity to underprivileged students to further their postgraduate education by studying at a university situated in the UK. Felix scholarships are offered at the University of Oxford, the University of Reading and the School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS).
- Scotland's Saltire Scholarships - This is a programme of scholarships offered by the Scottish Government in collaboration with Scottish Universities and colleges. The scheme provides 50 awards, each worth £8000 towards the tuition fee for any one year of full-time study on a postgraduate master's programme at any of Scotland's higher education institutes. Scholarships are provided to the citizens of Canada, China, India, Japan, Pakistan, and USA.
- Goa Education Trust Scholarships - GET is aimed to provide Goans a medium to pursue the best available opportunities in education, in whatever areas they desire. It provides scholarships and research fellowships to eligible students for their post-graduate studies in the United Kingdom in all spheres, fields, and departments. Recipients of the award can complete their studies in a range of subjects including Journalism, Education, Ancient History and Law. The scholarship covers full or part tuition fees for the courses. A student should not be more than 30 years of age at the time of application. In addition, this scholarship is valid for courses up to 1 year in duration.
- Charles Wallace India Trust Scholarships - Every year CWIT offers up to 10 long-term awards. The awards, which are generally from 2–3 months up to a maximum of a year, cover accommodation and living costs in the UK, fees, and a contribution to international fares. CWIT does not support two-year courses.
- Hornby Scholarships - This scholarship covers all costs in the UK including a monthly stipend that can cover accommodation and living expenses, tuition fees, return air tickets, visa, and language test costs. The eligible applicants for the scholarship must have at least three years’ full-time English language teaching experience and a full university degree. Also, the applicants need the level of English proficiency stipulated by the university. Hornby Scholarship supports experienced English language teachers who have the potential to make a future contribution to English language teaching.
- Inlaks Scholarships - These scholarships are provided to the brightest students in order to meet all their basic requirements including the tuition fees. Inlaks Scholarships are provided for university courses and specific programs at full-time Masters, MPhil, or Doctoral levels. The maximum funding provided by the Foundation is USD 100,000. The following courses are not covered: Business and Finance, Computer Science, Engineering, Fashion Design, Film and Film Animation, Hospitality and Tourism, Indian Studies without Contemporary Relevance, Management Studies (i.e. MBA), Medicine, Dentistry, and related therapies, Music, and Public Health
FAQs on UK Scholarships for Indian Students
Q. Can Indians study in UK for free?
Q. What are the basic eligibility criteria for Indian students to apply for a scholarship in the UK?
Q. List some of the UK government scholarships for Indian students.
Q. Is it possible to get a full scholarship to study in the UK?
Q. Is UK safe to study?
Q. Can I stay in the UK after scholarship and my course is done?
Download this article as PDF to read offlineDownload Guide