While a lot of international students apply for admission to Australian universities, ELP tests are mandatory for submissions. Some applicants wish to study in Australia without IELTS, which can be because of n' number of reasons. There may be alternatives to submitting IELTS exam scores, there can be even universities in Australia which do not accept IELTS at all for admission. This article will shed more light on how international students can study in Australia without IELTS exam scores.
How to Study in Australia without IELTS?
To answer this question straight if international students can study in Australia without IELTS, the answer is a big yes but, with conditions. Students looking for admission to the top universities in Australia can apply without IELTS scores only if they have studied in those countries where certificates awarded are recognized by the Australian Education System. And now you must be wondering how. Following is a list of conditions as proposed by some of the top Australian Universities that accept applications even if one of the conditions is fulfilled by the applicant:
- Those applicants who complete their senior secondary from the list of recognized countries and medium of study is English.
- Indian students applying can get an exemption from IELTS if they can present their AISSCE certificate issued by CBSE. State Board students from West Bengal, Karnataka, Maharashtra and Gujarat with 65% and above grade.
- Undergraduate and/or postgraduate students who have passed out from a recognized university or institution, where the medium of instruction was English are also exempted from submitting IELTS scores.
- Students who have pursued a minimum of 1 year part-time or full-time after secondary education from a recognized institution can also be exempted.
- Also, those students who have evidence of English skills honed in a paid or a part-time professional setting, with a minimum of 3 years are also exempted from submitting IELTS scores.
- A lot of Indian students have this question in mind - if they need to appear for IELTS for Australia or if CBSE is valid for an exemption, the answer to this question is no, there is no exemption for Indian students from submitting an IELTS score even if their higher education was from CBSE.
Australian Universities Exempting Students from IELTS Scores
There are 08 top Australian Universities that follow the above-given criteria in order to exempt international students from submitting IELTS scores for admission. They are as follows:
Predict your English proficiency score by sharing few details
- University of Adelaide
- University of Queensland
- University of Southern Queensland
- Macquarie University
- University of South Australia
- Swinburne University of Technology
- Bond University
Most universities in Australia would require a candidate from India to appear for an English Language test. A lot of universities/schools also have waived off their English proficiency test, but this is entirely judged on a case-by-case basis and the candidate is required to check the same with the university admission people. A lot of times the English proficiency test is waived for applicants who have earlier completed their education in the English language.
For instance, Bond University and the Swinburne University of Technology also accept other ELP scores like CAE or PTE or waive them off entirely depending upon the case. But then again, applications for the same would be reviewed on a case-to-case basis.
*Note: TOEFL is not an alternative in place of IELTS or PTE in Australian Universities. Thus, it should not be considered a primary option in place of IELTS or PTE.
IELTS for Work Visa in Australia
Even though those students who do not have IELTS scores may have to appear for one in order to obtain a work visa in Australia. One of the major requirements to obtain a work visa in Australia is to show at least IELTS test scores to register in order to work in Australia. The question is which one - either IELTS General or Academic for a work visa in Australia, the answer is IELTS Academic, and the minimum score band is 6.0 which is accepted by the Australian Immigration Department.
Documents Required to Study in Australia without IELTS
The following documents will be required by Australian immigration if the applicants are applying without IELTS scores to Australian universities:
- Transcripts or mark sheets of previous educational institution attended.
- Confirmation of Enrollment (CoE) which is the official proof that the applicant has been accepted by the Australian university.
- Proof of funding and financial documents
- Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)
- Also, submit a document that proves that the applicant has either been exempted from submitting the IELTS score or submitted ELP exam score of either TOEFL or PTE in place of IELTS.
Australia among other nations has taken advantage of this political unrest and globally Australia has become one of the top study-abroad destinations among Indian and international students. The Australian government in a bid to welcome more foreign students to its shores has also introduced student-friendly measures such as part-time work options and even post-study work permits, and the presence of a thriving job sector for candidates who successfully graduate from Australian universities.
Study in Australia without IELTS FAQs
Q. If the applicant cannot study in Australia without IELTS what are the alternatives?
A. In case the international applicants cannot study in Australia without IELTS exam then they have the following alternatives to this problem:
- Apply for admission and pursue a pathway program.
- Submit scores of alternative test score like PTE or TOEFL or Duolingo if admission requirements permit.
- Request for exemption from the university for submission of IELTS exam scores by submitting addition language proficiency level.
- Applicants can also submit proof of language proficiency by submitting academic documents and that the medium of instruction was English.
There can be other alternatives too, and they will vary per Australian university. Thus, applicants must check before they apply for admissions to Australian universities but without IELTS scores.
Q. Based on which conditions can international students study in Australia without IELTS?
A. There are just three conditions based on which international students can choose to study in Australia without IELTS -
- MOI or Medium of Instruction: If the MOI was English for applicnts at the level of school and university, then this condition can be put to use.
- Submission of alternative test scores, based on the scores given for IELTS, applicants can submit any other scores for exemption from IELTS.
- Pursue a pathway program and fulfil the English language proficiency level and fulfil the criteria rather than submit IELTS scores.
Q. Are there other equivalent ELP tests accepted in Australia in place of IELTS?
A. Yes, there are other equivalent ELP tests that can be accepted in place of IELTS exam and they are as follows:
- CPE, Certification of proficiency, or Certificate in Advanced English
- PTE score (Both individual & overall)
- They must complete their secondary studies in Australia
- TAFE SA course
- CELUSA Language course level-4
- Tertiary studies in Australia at least for 1-year, etc.
These submissions will be based on the proposed IELTS exam scores given for a particular course admission.
Q. If Indian students score between 70-80% can they be exempted from submitting IELTS to study in Australia?
A. Yes, in majority of the cases Indian students who score 70-80% in their Board exams can be exempted from submitting an IELTS score. However, applicant's medium of instruction should be in English throughout the study period. Plus the applicants will have to show that their exam scores in English at all levels of study to satisfy the admission requirements at the Australian university. The admission requirements and conditions may vary per university and course of admission.
Q. What if Indian students cannot be exempted from submitting IELTS score to study in Australia?
A. In case a situation like this arises where Indian students cannot be exempted from submitting IELTS score to study in Australia, they will have no other option but to submit IELTS scores. Applicants can either submit IELTS exam scores or look for other exams scores to submit with which they are comfortable with. In case the applicants want to stick to IELTS score submission then they can check out the following links for IELTS exam preparation:
|Listening Tips for IELTS 2023||Reading Tips for IELTS 2023|
|Writing Tips for IELTS 2023||Speaking Tips for IELTS 2023|
Download this article as PDF to read offlineDownload Guide