Canada education system for Indian students: With a diverse multicultural landscape, high-quality education, and globally accepted degrees, the educational system of Canada is considered one of the best in the world. Its immigration-friendly policies and cost-effective yet excellent higher education system offer numerous opportunities for international students. World-class universities and affordable tuition fees make Canada one of the best study destinations for international students. Quebec, Ontario, and British Columbia are the most popular Canadian provinces that are home to some of the best universities globally. In 2021, more than 6 Lakh international students were studying in Canada across different levels. The staggering numbers explain its popularity globally.
Almost 30 Canadian universities feature in the QS World University Rankings 2023. The McGill University, The University of Toronto, the University of Montreal, The University of Alberta, and The University of Waterloo are some of the top universities in Canada.
Predict your English proficiency score by sharing few details
Community Colleges in Canada
- Community colleges are highly popular in Canada. They offer two-year programs to students after which they earn a Diploma, or they can also join a Bachelor's degree program.
- Students can also transfer the credits that they have earned while studying in a community college to a Bachelor's degree program.
- Students with less IELTS scores (around 5.0 or 5.5) can also join community colleges.
Undergraduate Colleges in Canada
- Undergraduate colleges in Canada provide education up to the undergraduate level; this is generally a four-year degree in Canada or USA.
- Students who earned a Diploma from community colleges pursue Bachelor's degrees in undergraduate colleges.
- Apart from the Bachelor's degree, students can also earn a Diploma in undergraduate colleges similar to community colleges. Students can also earn a graduate certificate by pursuing one more year of studies after completing their Bachelor's degree.
- Students with high IELTS Scores usually 6.0 - 6.5 or more than this score join undergraduate colleges.
Selection Systems for Getting Entry in Canada
Express Entry Canada: Established as one of the most popular and fastest immigration systems globally, it was introduced in 2015 and it has become the main driver of economic immigration to Canada. Globally, people wishing to move to Canada use this system extensively for getting a visa.
Student Partnership Program (SPP): It is an arrangement between selected Canadian colleges and Canadian High Commission in India to provide quick and easy study visas for prospective students. The visa processing is quick and easy under this stream and the aspirants have to show fewer documents. The SDS program is supposedly replacing SPP.
Student Direct Stream (SDS): With Student Direct Stream, international students can get their study permits faster. Residents of Antigua and Barbuda, Brazil, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, India, Morocco, Pakistan, Peru, Philippines, Senegal, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, and Vietnam can apply for the study permit under this SDS. Under this system, students should fulfil certain criteria then only they become eligible to apply under the SDS program.
Provincial Nominee Program (PNP): The Provincial Nominee Programs allow Canadian provinces and territories to nominate individuals who wish to immigrate and settle in Canada. Those who aspire to settle in any particular province can apply through this stream.
Merits of Studying in Canada
Canada has been ranked as one of the best places to live in the world by the United Nations. International students who graduated from Canadian universities or colleges get a chance to stay back and work. In addition, they are allowed to work part-time while completing their studies. After gaining some work experience, students can apply for PR in order to get Canadian citizenship. Moreover, the educational system of Canada is respected globally and Canadian degrees are globally recognized. This might offer employment opportunities at a global level.
Financial Support for Pursuing Higher Education
Various Canadian educational institutions offer scholarships to international students to study in Canada. In comparison to developed countries like USA, UK, and Australia, the tuition fee is quite less in Canada. Therefore, the number of scholarships for pursuing higher education in Canada is also comparatively less. However, there are a few scholarships that are available for bright students. Apart from this, students can also take an education loan for studying in Canada. You can get all the details for getting an education loan to study in Canada here
Students can also apply for an education loan directly here
You may also want to read:
Download this article as PDF to read offlineDownload Guide