One of the top reasons why study in Australia is that students can live, learn and grow based on their own timelines. Australia is the place if you want a quality education and a good lifestyle. There is an added advantage of studying in Australia for international students because they get exposure and can expect growth in terms of their careers by 15% annually. Since higher education comes with its pros for international students, here's an article that will throw light on why to choose Australia as your study abroad destination.
Why to Study in Australia?
The statistics mentioned in the table below show why international students from across the globe choose to study in Australia:
Universities among the top 100 (globally)
Total Higher Education Institutions
Total Courses Offered
Student Satisfaction Rate
Best Student-Friendly Australian Cities
International Student Scholarship
AUD 300 million (invested)
Reasons to Study in Australia and not Home Country
Why choose to study in Australia? This question brings with it a number of benefits of studying in Australia for not just domestic students but for international students as well. Look at the points below to know the key benefits of studying in Australia:
- The cost of pursuing education in Australia and living in Australia is 40 to 60 per cent less than that of the USA or UK, varying with the preferred location.
- It is the next "hot" destination after the USA considering the numbers, quality and living conditions. Over a thousand Indian students and students from all over the world go to Australia to study every year. Students apply to various Australian universities but maximum applications are received at Level 1 Universities of Australia.
- Another key benefit of studying in Australia is its globally recognised Universities which offer a wide variety of courses with up-to-date curricula and infrastructure while the faculty is result-oriented. While a few Australian universities may be expensive but there are Affordable and Cheap Universities in Australia as well.
- There are part-time job options for international students to gain work experience and work while studying. This helps in making new connections at the base level and also helps in networking at a higher stage.
- Australia is always open to hiring students who graduate from their universities because they are trained to be work-ready and hence, job opportunities are available widely in public and private spheres. Check out: Top 10 Highest Paid Jobs in Australia
- Lastly, the education system of Australia is similar to that of India, hence, adjustments in Australian education system for Indian students does not have any major challenges.
Top 7 Cities in Australia
Why students choose to study in Australia also because of its popular cities. Among 10,000 cities in Australia, their top 7 are the current favourites for international students namely - Melbourne, Sydney, Adelaide, Perth, Brisbane, Gold Coast and Canberra. Together these cities with top-ranking Australian Universities admit over 2 million students annually. The largest city in Australia is Sydney which also is home to the University of Sydney ranking #2 in Australia and #40 by QS rankings. While the capital city Canberra of Australia is home to the top-ranking - Australian National University (ANU) which ranks at #1 in Australia and of course Canberra University.
Since most of these cities are scattered across eastern, southern and western Australia, students are more likely to choose to study here in comparison to northern Australia. Over 100 universities are spread across the coastline and attract students both for scenic beauty and travel exposure besides education. The top seven cities in Australia are as follows:
- Gold Coast
The map of Australia below marks the top 7 cities where students are majorly interested in pursuing their higher education:
Popular Courses Offered in Australia
Over 22,000 courses across 100 Australian Universities, is one major reason that attracts both domestic and international students to study in Australia. A wide range of courses in over 10 areas of study is offered at undergraduate, postgraduate and doctoral levels including certificate and PG Diploma courses. Australian Universities have been ranked by THE for the following areas of study in which courses are popularly offered and studied: Engineering & Technology, Arts & Humanities, Physical & Life Sciences; Clinical, Pre-Clinical & Health; Social Sciences.
Popularly, courses like MBA in Australia or Engineering and its related fields, Agriculture & Environment Science, Information Technology, etc are offered and opted widely in Australia. The reason is:
- MBA institutions receive maximum applications for intake but accept only 25% of them. Placement opportunities are available and better growth options as well.
- Engineering graduates who were international students accounted for 43% in comparison to other countries in 2010. It is also beneficial in terms of research options after graduation and postgraduation. Check: Top 10 Engineering Colleges in Australia
- A recent opening of over 33,000 job vacancies in Australia is attracting more and more students to pursue Information & Technology courses since 2019. The salaries are very high for students to graduate with a degree in IT in Australia. This is why Australia for master's degree is the main attraction. Read: Study in Australia: IT courses available for non-science students too.
- Since Healthcare and Social Assistance is the fastest growing industry in Australia, naturally more and more international students look forward to studying Medicine and Nursing courses in Australia. The degree is recognized across the globe and international students are not bound to work in Australia only.
- Agriculture jobs are available in high numbers and in 50% of the metropolitans of Australia. This makes Agriculture a popular choice of course among students.
- Universities in Sydney (Australia)
- Universities in Wollongong (Australia)
- Universities in Newcastle (Australia)
Benefits of Studying in Australia for Indian Students
A record high admissions of over 65,000 Indian students were recorded for the year 2017 which in turn implies that Australia is one of the top 5 countries internationally which attracts Indian students. There are various benefits for Indian students to study in Australia be it for globally recognised qualifications, easy to get a study permit, an abundance of scholarships, work-related opportunities, inclusivity barring ethnicity, better professional experience, etc. Check: Popular Scholarships for International Students in Australia. The following are the top reasons that suggest why it's beneficial for Indian students to study in Australia:
- Australia is a top destination for study because of its global recognition and qualification acceptance widely. Around 68,000 Indian students moved to Australia in 2017.
- Australia offers the added advantage of offering scholarships to Indian students with a CGPA starting from 3.6. Over 300 scholarships varying between 10% to 100% are available for Indian students. Check out: Australian Scholarships for Indian Students
- Affordable living costs where annual costs do not go beyond AUD 90,000 for Indian students in Australia. This includes education fees/part-time or full-time salaried, food, travel, etc.
- Cheaper tuition costs in Australia and permission for students to work while studying with a student visa is also applicable. Weekly 40 hours for part-timers is allowed, starting from July 1, 2023.
- An extended visa for 2 years for work is available in Australia for Indian students. The students have the option of staying back and gaining practical experience. Check: Australia Extends PSW by 6 Years
- Job Opportunities are available for Indian students in Australia both while studying and after studying. A lot of Australian Universities offer on-campus placements for a few courses.
- One of the special advantages for Indian students is the similarity between the Indian and Australian education systems. Both are broadly based on the British education system. Therefore, it becomes easier for students to get admitted into any level without the hassle of credential evaluation, university review of qualifications etc.
Along with these reasons, there are other reasons too as to why Indian students choose to study in Australia - a wide number of universities to choose from and also a choice of city to study in. Students can make their choices depending on their interests and inclination.