Career as Animation
Animators are artists who draw cartoons and pictures which are used in multimedia productions to entertain, educate or persuade people. Animators use computers to create images, give them colour and use special effects to make a film. They generally specialize in animation for gaming, film-making, education etc.
- Create a visual script consisting of drawings on paper for the animation sequence, with key scenes and characters.
- Write storyline to match the animation images and develop storyboard for the main theme in the animation.
- Digitally scan animated objects, view and manipulate in three dimensions.
- Use computer programs to create graphic images and animation.
- Introduce illusion of movement, as the power of motion is animation.
- Introduce light, color, texture, shadow and transparency
- Create visual effect for movies, games, ads etc.
- Implement feedback from end users to bring about necessary modifications.
- Artistic skills
- Knowledge of CAD
- Appreciation of aesthetics
- Should have ability to express ideas through drawings
- Ability to work at odd hours
- Working with detail
- Should be able to work in a team
- Good colour sense
- Good visual imagination
- Computer skill
- Animation studios
- As story board artists
- Animation/character artists
- Layout artists
- As 2D/3D animators
- Compositing artists
- In multimedia
- As audio and video specialists
- Visualizing, texture, lighting artists
- Editors in film labs
1.15 Lakh to 6.14 Lakhs per annum
(Salary data sourced from PayScale.com)
How do I get there?
*NID entrance is through a
selective entrance test conducted at several locations e.g Bhopal,
Chennai, Guwahati, Hyderabad, Kanpur, Kochi, Ahmedabad, Bangalore,
Mumbai, Calcutta and New Delhi, Oman in January.
The scores may be shared with other participating design schools.
NID Bachelor of DesignEligibility : Max.20 yrs relaxable 3 yrs.XII Any subject
NID Master of Design
Eligibility: Max 30 years (relaxable by three years for reserved category) Bachelor’s degree in any discipline under the 10+2+4/ Diploma in Design under the 10+2+4 system/ Bachelor’s degree in any discipline under the 10+2+3
NID Selection process- Students to all design courses are selected through a two-stage competitive exam which tests knowledge, skills and special abilities of candidates.
Stage1: Design Aptitude Test (DAT) Prelims is conducted at various test centers across India. DAT Prelims is a 2 part test of 3 hour duration. It tests : Knowledge, Comprehension, Analysis, Creativity, Visualization.
Part I: Multiple-choice questions marked out of 70 points.Part II: Subjective questions marked out of 30 points, with responses to visual and/or written formats. The question paper is in English. All questions are compulsory. There is no negative marking.
Stage 2: Candidates shortlisted after the DAT Prelims appear for DAT Main. The test center is at NID Ahmedabad.
DAT Mains has two parts:
1-Studio Test: which consists of tests in different formats such as drawing/sketching, hands-on model making, group discussions etc. (100 marks)
2-Interviews: for each discipline
**Bachelor of Fine /Applied Art courses teach graphic
***Several specialist institutes and private training academies teach animation courses offering a variety of modules- certificate, diplomas, degrees and postgraduate degrees
****Bachelor of Fine Arts/Applied Arts/Design/ Arch./ Communication Media, Film & TV, Mass Media
Where to study?
Prestigious Institutes in India
Featured Institutes in India
|Content on this page is by Career Expert
Mrs. Kum Kum Tandon
MA (Psychology), M.Ed, Diploma in Educational Psychology, Vocational Guidance & Counseling (NCERT, Delhi) | View Complete Profile