Ritika SrivastavaAssociate Senior Executive, Editorial
The process of Sound and Video Editing begins after the shooting of a film, TV show, commercial or short film, etc. It is actually a part of the post-production process. In addition to Sound and Video Editing, post-production tasks include titling, color correction, continuity, adding special effects, and more. The process of Sound and Video Editing includes editing sections of motion video production footage, special effects and sound recordings. Sound and Video Editing are considered an important process in the production of a film or TV programme because it helps to remove unwanted footage, keep the story flowing, and change the style, tempo, or mood of the video. Not only this, effects, graphics, music etc. are added through Sound and Video Editing only to make the visuals attractive.
In recent years, due to the availability of software for personal computers, the interest of youngsters towards Sound and Video Editing has increased. Although the traditional ways of Sound and Video Editing can be tedious, new technologies have made the job fun and creative.Various courses are also available in this field at Undergraduate, Postgraduate and Diploma level. Many recognized colleges and institutes are now also offering online certificate courses in Sound and Video Editing.
Sound and Video Editing Eligibility Criteria
There are many colleges and universities in India that offer various courses in Sound and Video Editing at different levels such as BVA in Film Editing, BA in Editing, BDes in Film & Video Communication, Diploma in Video Editing, Diploma in Sound Engineering etc. The eligibility criteria for each course varies according to its level. Candidates wishing to pursue Certificate, Diploma or an Undergraduate Degree course in Sound and Video Editing must have passed 12th with minimum percentage (usually 50%) from any recognized board. Similarly for pursuing Postgraduate Degree or PG Diploma course, candidates must have passed graduation with minimum percentage from a recognized institute/university.
Sound and Video Editing Entance Exams
Candidates can secure admission in Sound and Video Editing courses either on the basis of merit or through an entrance test. These entrance tests are often followed by a personal interview round which students need to clear in order to secure admission in the course of their choice. Some popular entrance exams that candidates should consider giving are mentioned below:
- FTII JET: The FTII JET is a national level entrance exam is conducted annually for candidates who want to take admission in postgraduate and post-graduate diploma courses. There are two wings under FTII viz. Film Wing offers courses such as direction & screenplay, writing, editing, acting, cinematography, feature film screenplay writing, sound designing and recording and art direction & production design. Television wing offers courses such as directions, electronic cinematography, sound recording & television engineering and video editing.
- WWI: Whistling Woods International Institute of Film, Communication, and Creative Arts conducts the WWI entrance exam in order to offer admission to aspirants in courses offered by it.
- NIMSEE: NIMS Entrance Exam is conducted by NIMS University, Rajasthan in order to offer candidates admission in various undergraduate and postgraduate courses which is offered at the university.
- JMI Entrance Exam: The Jamia Millia Islamia (JMI) University conducts the Jamia Millia Islamia entrance test to shortlist candidates for admission in various UG, PG, Diploma, Advanced Diploma and certificate courses such as Engineering, Architecture & Planning, Hospitality & Travel, Animation, Mass Communication, Humanities & Social Sciences, Commerce as well as Teaching & Education.
Sound and Video Editing Required Skillset
Sound and Video Editing is an extremely demanding profession and it requires aspirants to be at the top of their game at all times. Some key skills that an individual should possess so as to be successful in this field are:
|Communication Skills||Listening Skills||Excellent Visualization Skills|
|Project Management||Knowledge of Video Editing Tools||Sense of Timing|
|Video Editing Skills||Creativity||Multi-Tasking|
|Problem-solving Attitude||Work Flexibility||Networking|
|A Keen Eye for Attention to Details||Good Judgement Skills||Ability to work for long hours|
Sound and Video Editing Course Curriculum
The subjects taught in a Sound and Video Editing course may vary from college to college. However, some common topics that aspirants have to study in Sound and Video Editing course are as mentioned below:
|BA - Audiography and Digital Editing|
|MA in Audio Visual Communication|
Sound and Video Editing Job Profile
Any aspirant wanting to join the field of Sound and Video Editing can work in different profiles as per their interest and talent. Some of the popular job profiles that candidates can hope to join in this field are as follows:
- Film Editor: Film editors edit a full-length film. They edit multiple scenes and rearrange the sequences frame by frame in a sequential manner. They mix music, sound and dialogue and add visual effects (VFX).
- Video Editor: Video editors typically work for an organization that does editing work for movies and videos for both commercial and personal use.
- Animator: The role of an animator is to create a new video by animation and properly edit the video.
- Graphic Editor: Graphic designers/artists design graphics for TV or websites. They are responsible for designing informative infrographics or visuals for viewers.
FAQs on Sound and Video Editing
Q. Can Sound and Video Editing course be pursued after class 12?
Q. What are the popular colleges to pursue Sound and Video Editing course?
- MIT Art, Design and Technology University Pune
- National Institute of Design Ahmedabad
- Symbiosis Institute of Media and Communication Pune
- Annapurna College of Film and Media Hyderabad
- MGR Government Film and Television Institute Chennai
- Whistling Woods International Mumbai
- Srishti Manipal Institute of Art, Design, and Technology Bangalore
Q. What jobs are offered in the Sound and Video Editing field?
Q. Which programme or course is best for Sound and Video Editing?
- BVA in Film Editing
- BA in Editing
- BSc in Editing
- BA (Hons) Direction & Editing
Q. Which are the top recruiters for Sound and Video Editing?
Q. Which are some popular entrance exams in this domain?
Q. What is the basic eligibility for various courses in Sound and Video Editing?
Q. What are the important skills required to make a career in Sound and Video Editing?
Q. What is the scope of Sound and Video Editing course?
Q. Can I pursue a short term certificate course after class 10+2?
Q. What is the fee structure of a postgraduate course in Sound and Video Editing?
Popular Sound & Video Editing Colleges in India
Popular Private Sound & Video Editing Colleges in India
Popular Sound & Video Editing Specializations in India
I want to know about the fee structure at Zee Institute of Creative Art, Jaipur for Digital Video and Audio Editing.
6 days ago
The fee structure at Zee Institute of Creative Art, Jaipur for Digital Video and Audio Editing INR 62,000.
Taking an Exam? Selecting a College?
Find insights & recommendations on colleges and exams that you won't find anywhere else
On Shiksha, get access to
- 60k Colleges
- 880 Exams
- 415k Reviews
- 800k Answers