Mandeep KumarSenior Executive Content
Databases allude to the collection of data stored in an organised manner typically in a computer system for rapid search. Data can be in various forms like numbers, text, bytes, media, etc. DataBase Management System (DBMS) is used for retrieving information from these data in response to queries. The common examples of DBMS are MySQL and Microsoft SQL. A database system is referred as the applications that use these data and DBMS.
The term Database was first proposed in mid-1960s wherein Navigational databases (one to many relationship) and network database (multiple relationship) were in use. Later on with the evolution of technologies the Relational Database Model was introduced in 1970, Object Database Model was developed in 1980, Object-oriented Database evolved in 1990 and, NoSQL and NewSQL were unfolded in 1990.
Based on these developments, Databases have its various types such as Object-oriented databases, Relational databases, NoSQL databases, Distributed databases, Graph databases, Self-driving databases, Cloud databases, Distributed databases, Multimodel database, Open source databases and Document database.
As discussed above, there are different types of Databases that exist. Some of the main types of databases are as follow:
This database is incorporated with tables to organise the data in order to reorganise and access it in many ways. These tables have columns and rows, and data is placed in these tables into predefined categories. The properties of Relational Database are Atomicity, Consistency, Integrity, Durability, Concurrency and Query Processing. To store, manage, query and retrieve data in Relational Database a relational database management system (RDBMS) is used.
In this type of database, data is created by using the object-oriented programming language. It contains data in the form of objects and classes. Object-oriented database encompasses the following properties – Objects, Classes, Inheritance, polymorphism and Encapsulation. It is a combination of relational model features with objects oriented principles.
Cloud databases are developed in a public, private or hybrid cloud for a virtualized environment. It assists in storing, managing and retrieving structured as well as unstructured data through a cloud platform. Consumers are charged based on the storage and bandwidth they use. The advantages of this database are lower cost, high accessibility, automated processes, etc. The names of some popular Cloud Databases are:
- Microsoft SQL server
- Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Google cloud spanner
- Oracle Database Cloud Services
- Snowflake Computing
NoSQL means "not only SQL". This database is useful in dealing with large sets of distributed data. Its scalability feature enables it to control large amounts of data. NoSQL Database performs auto replication in which data replicates itself to the previous state when any failure happens. This database is also referred to as non-relational databases.
It is a type of NoSQL Database in which data is represented in graphical form. These databases are made up of nodes and edges wherein nodes represent an entity and edges represent relationships between two edges. In Graph Database each node indicates a unique identifier.
There are five major components of Database. These are hardware, software, data, procedure, and database access language.
- Hardware: It refers to the physical device that runs database software. Computers, Hard disks, Servers are the examples of Database hardware.
- Software: Database software is the set of programs or application that allows user to control the database.
- Data: The raw information and facts that is stored in database to organise and process to make it more meaningful is Data.
- Procedure: The instructions and rules that determine the working of Databases are known as Procedure.
- Data access language: The programming language used to write commands to access, update, and delete data stored in a database. SQL is the most common Database language.
With the availability of Databases, there are various challenges such as
- Data Safety: Violation of the data is common these days. It is important to process the data in such a way that ensures its safety.
- Maintaining Database Infrastructure: It is highly important to maintain Database and infrastructures for better performance. The administrator should keep an eye on database problems and take preventive measures from time to time.
- Data Integrity: It ensures that data is reliable and can be trusted.
- Performance: Maintaining a good performance of databases can be a challenge. A database should always be in high performance, regardless of the hardware.
Database Online Courses
In today’s generation where data is the new oil, it is essential to know ways to create database and understand its working. Various fields like Web Application Development, Java, Data Science, Software Data, Oracle Database, etc. are completely dependent on databases for the administration of information. Database online courses are providing a broad understanding of database development and its architecture. The online platforms facilitating Database online course are:
- Microsoft, etc.
The demand for database related jobs is expanding in the market. There are multiple jobs based on database-related fields offering alluring packages. Following are the job roles offered in Database field:
- Database Analyst
- SQL Developer
- Database Architect
- Data Scientist
- Database Administrator, etc.
Check out DBA interview questions to ace the interview round.
Q. What is Database?
Q. What is the use of Databases?
Q. What are the types of Databases?
Q. Why is Database important?
Q. Which is the most popular DBMS in the world?
Popular Databases Colleges in India
Popular Private Databases Colleges in India
Most Popular Courses
- Master of Computer Applications (MCA Hons. Lateral Entry)LPU - Lovely Professional University
- Master of Computer Applications (MCA Lateral Entry)LPU - Lovely Professional University
- M.Tech. in Computer Science and EngineeringLPU - Lovely Professional University
- B.Tech. in Computer Science EngineeringThe ICFAI University, Dehradun
Popular Databases Specializations in India
News & Updates
Answered a month ago
Yes, IILM University provides extensive access to digital databases and online resources through its library. Students have the opportunity to access a wide range of materials, including research papers, articles, and scholarly publications. The library's digital database contains a diverse collecti
Taking an Exam? Selecting a College?
Find insights & recommendations on colleges and exams that you won't find anywhere else
On Shiksha, get access to
- 61k Colleges
- 929 Exams
- 460k Reviews
- 900k Answers
- AI & Robotics
- Augmented & Virtual Reality
- Big Data & Analytics
- CAD / CAM / CAE
- Cloud Computing
- E Commerce Platforms
- CRM (Customer Relationship Management)
- ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning)
- Game Design
- IT Service Management
- Mobile App Development
- Networking, Hardware & Security
- Office Suite
- Operating Systems
- Project Management
- Quality Assurance & Testing