Ritika SrivastavaAssociate Senior Executive, Editorial
The animation industry in India is growing in such a way that animation has now become an important part of sectors like education, medical science, multimedia, internet, filmmaking etc. Big animation houses like Walt Disney, Pixar Studios and Turner Entertainment, known for their great animation films, are also turning their attention to India. Obviously, there are immense possibilities in the times to come for the candidates who are interested in Animation Filmmaking. An Animation Filmmaking course usually involves the study of topics such as 2D-3D animation, sound editing, pre-production and post-production processes, visual effects and production etc. After completing their course, students can work in Animation Filmmaking studios, television channels, production houses, advertising agencies and gaming companies.
Animation Filmmaking Courses Eligibility Criteria
For each course of Animation Filmmaking, there are certain eligibility criteria which the candidate must fulfill. However these eligibility criteria may also vary according to the level of the programme and college. Given below are some of the essential eligibility criteria for the Animation Filmmaking course:
- For undergraduate course: Candidate must have passed 10+2 in any stream (Science/Commerce/Arts) with at least 50% marks in aggregate from a recognized board.
- For postgraduate course: Candidate should have a degree in required course with minimum percentile from a recognized university/college.
Animation Filmmaking Courses Entrance Exams
While some colleges admit students on the basis of merit, some colleges conduct entrance exams to test the skills of the students. Some of the entrance exams conducted by reputed colleges are:
- NID DAT Entrance Exam: NID Design Aptitude Test (DAT) is a national-level entrance exam through which aspirants are shortlisted for admission to UG and PG Design courses offered by the prestigious National Institute of Design (NID) campuses. Candidates need to clear two NID admission tests in order to be eligible for admission to Bachelor of Design (BDes) and Master of Design (MDes) courses offered at its campuses.
- MITID DAT Exam: MAEER'S MIT Institute of Design, a constituent of MIT Art Design & Technology University conducts MITID DAT to provide admission to candidates in various BDes and MDes programmes at Avantika University, Ujjain, MIT Institute of Design, Pune and MIT University, Shillong.
- FTII JET: The FTII JET is a national level entrance exam is conducted annually for candidates who want to take admission in postgraduate and post-graduate diploma courses. A Joint Entrance Test (JET) is conducted by the Film and Television Institute of India (FTII), Pune and Satyajit Ray Film and Television Institute (SRFTI), Kolkata to shortlist candidates for admission offered by the two institutes.
- SEAT Exam: Srishti Manipal Institute of Art, Design, & Technology conducts the SEAT or SMEAT exam in order to shortlist candidates for admission in undergraduate and postgraduate programmes on offer by the college.
- JMI Exam: The Jamia Millia Islamia (JMI) University conducts the Jamia Millia Islamia entrance test to shortlist candidates for admission in various UG, PG, Diploma, Advanced Diploma and certificate courses such as Engineering, Architecture & Planning, Hospitality & Travel, Animation, Mass Communication, Humanities & Social Sciences, Commerce as well as Teaching & Education.
Animation Filmmaking Required Skillset
Animation industry requires candidates to have a creative bend of mind along with the ability to visualise. Candidates who aspire to join this field need to possess the below mentioned skillset:
Creativity & Imagination
Attention for Detail
Familiarity with Graphics Software
Ability to Work in Time Bound Manner
Originality and Innovativeness
|Ability to multi-task||
Animation Filmmaking Course Curriculum
Candidates can opt for undergraduate, postgraduate and diploma level courses. Most UG level animation courses are of three years duration. The detailed syllabus for Animation Filmmaking UG course is given below:
|Bachelor in Animation Filmmaking|
|Masters in Animation Filmmaking|
|Basic Shapes & Sketching Techniques||Anatomy Drawing|
|Body Language & Expressions||Lights, Colour & Perspectives|
|Creating Digital Art||Creating Digital Art|
|Scriptwriting for Animation||Adobe Premiere Pro|
|Character Design & Development||Acting & Voice Characterisation|
|Concept Art & Inspirational Sketches||Visual Scripting with Film Language|
|Storyboarding for Animatics||Editing for Animatics|
|Adobe Photoshop||Adobe Audition|
|Concept Design, Development & Storytelling Techniques|
Animation Filmmaking Job Profile and Scope
In order to join the Animation industry aspirants need to be well-versed with different softwares and changing trends. Several departments work together in the field of Animation Filmmaking. There are different professionals in each department, who play an important role in film production. Below are the details of the professionals and departments related to Animation Filmmaking:
|Job Profiles Related to Animation Filmmaking|
|Production Management||This department is responsible for raising funds, setting up teams and drawing up all plans related to film production.||
|Production Development||It works on both the story and format of the animated film.||
|Pre-production||In this, the details of the story and design are worked out and different shots and characters are planned.||
|Production||This department creates the layout for each shot, animation, lighting and puts them together.||
|Post-production||This department adds music and sound effects to the film, edits and creates various versions of the film.||
|Distribution||This department bears all the responsibilities related to the release of the film.||
FAQs on Animation Filmmaking
Q. What is the process of admission in Animation colleges?
Q. Which are the popular animation colleges in India?
Q. Which Indian companies offer employment opportunities after pursuing Animation Filmmaking course?
- Maya Entertainment Ltd
- UTV Toonz
- Toonz Animation India
- Pentamedia Graphics
- Heart Entertainment Limited
Q. Which global companies hire students in this field?
- Walt Disney Animation Studios
- DreamWorks Animation
- Industrial Light & Magic
Q. Which are the popular Animation courses?
- BSc Animation
- BSc in Multimedia and Animation
- BSc Animation, Graphics & VFX
- BSc Multimedia, Animation & Graphic Design
- BA 3D Animation
- BA Multimedia
- BA VFX and Animation
- BSc in Multimedia
- MSc Animation
- MDes Animation Film Design
- MSc in Multimedia
- Diploma in Animation
Q. What is the scope of Animation Filmmaking course?
Q. I am a student of Humanities, can I pursue BSc in Animation?
Q. Is there any age limit to take admission?
Q. What is the eligibility criteria for PG courses in Animation?
Q. What are the skills required to make a career in Animation Filmmaking?
Q. Is Animation Filmmaking a good career choice?
Popular Animation Film Making Colleges in India
Animation Film Making Applications open. Apply Now
Popular Private Animation Film Making Colleges in India
Animation Film Making Applications open. Apply Now
Most Popular Courses
- B.Des. in Animation and VFXArtemisia College of Art and Design
- B.Des. in Communication DesignSymbiosis Institute of Design, Symbiosis International, Pune
- B.A. (Hons.) in MultimediaIACG Multimedia College
- B.Voc. in AnimationSamskara Acadmy
- Bachelor of Film and Television ProductionKIIT School of Film and Media
- Diploma in 3D and VFX Film makingWebel DQE Animation Academy
Popular Animation Film Making Specializations in India
- Final Cut Pro
News & Updates
Taking an Exam? Selecting a College?
Find insights & recommendations on colleges and exams that you won't find anywhere else
On Shiksha, get access to
- 61k Colleges
- 931 Exams
- 470k Reviews
- 1100k Answers