Career as Film/ TV Producer
Film Production process goes through three stages: Pre-production, Production and Post-production. A typical crew includes cameraman/woman, Director of Cinematography, Production Manager, Designer, Location Manager, Production Runner, Production Buyer, Property Manager, Assistants, Script Supervisor, Boom Operator, Art Director and Set Dresser.
The roles and responsibilities of people involved in making a film often overlap and coincide, depending on the type of film being made. The number of people involved depends on the type of film. Feature films have a larger crew while documentaries have a smaller crew. Technical staff do all types of films, commercials, feature and even independent productions.
- Conceives the idea for the film
- Obtains the rights to the intellectual property if it is a book or script, or oversees the writing of an original screenplay
- Manages the financing for the film
- Hires the director
- Decides the cast
- Identifies suitable locations
- Hires the crew
- Keeps the production within the budget
- Monitors the day-to-day progress of the film
- Controls the organization and finances of the film and is the final authority on all practical matters.
- Works under the producer
- Is responsible for the overall organization of the picture
- Helps to manage the day-to-day problems of filming
Production assistants/ co-ordinators.
- Are responsible for all the administration needed for a film such as making hotel and flight bookings for crews, arranging time schedules, dealing with shipments of film and equipment when filming abroad etc
- Bundles of perseverance
- Stamina to work long hours, including evenings and weekends, sometimes working in bad weather
- Good management skills
- A strong will, determination and love for what you are doing
- Patience and creativity
- Working with a team
Television production firms
1.51 Lakh to 19 Lakhs per annum
(Salary data sourced from PayScale.com)
How do I get there?
Where to study?
Prestigious Institutes in India
- Chitrabani, St. Xavier’s College, Calcutta
- Asian Academy of Film and Television, Noida
- Film and Television Institute of India, Pune
Featured Institutes in India
|Content on this page is by Career Expert
Mrs. Kum Kum Tandon
MA (Psychology), M.Ed, Diploma in Educational Psychology, Vocational Guidance & Counseling (NCERT, Delhi) | View Complete Profile