Career as Game Designer
Game designers are specialized software developers who visualize, plan and help design the creation of video and computer games.• Game designing involves defining the structure for the game, its layout , setting, how the game would flow, all constituent elements such as characters, vehicles, the interface and the modes how the elements would work in the game.
- Work with a team on a project to develop a new game.
- Prepare a draft of what elements a game would have and how it would play or work on a defined structure to create the best game within a certain budget and to meet set deadlines.
- Designing characters,props, art puzzles and animation
- Write computer codes using different computer languages
- Communicate with the development team to add art features and create the computer code that enables the game to be played.
- Make the necessary corrections and adjustments to the original design to make it technically operable.
- Prepare the full game design document.
- Immense passion for gaming
- Awareness of games platforms and technologies
- Understanding of coding language
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills
- Good organizational skill
- Problem-solving skills
- Creativity artistic talent, visualization and drawing skils
- Skills in software programming and graphics
- Ability to think systematically and strategically
- Ability to work independently
- Attention to detail
- Games developers
- Games publishers
- Games production companies
- Educational institutions
- DVD and CD-ROM authoring companies
- Information providers
- Marketing and advertising agencies
- Mobile phone companies
- Design companies
- Access Technology
- Midas Web Technologies
- 99Games, Karnataka
- 2 Pi Interactive, Hyderabad
- CreatioSoft, Noida
- Apar Games, Mumbai
- Dhruva Interactive, Bangalore
- Games2win, Mumbai
- Geek Mentor Studios, Noida
- GSN Games, India
How do I get there?
*NID Bachelor of Design (Animation Design) Eligibility : Max.20 yrs relaxable 3 yrs.XII Any subject
NID Master of Design( Game Design)
Eligibility: Max 30 years (relaxable by three years for reserved category) Bachelor’s degree in any discipline under the 10+2+4/ Diploma in Design under the 10+2+4 system/ Bachelor’s degree in any discipline under the 10+2+3
NID Selection process- Students to all design courses are selected through a two-stage competitive exam which tests knowledge, skills and special abilities of candidates.
Stage1: Design Aptitude Test (DAT) Prelims is conducted at various test centers across India. DAT Prelims is a 2 part test of 3 hour duration. It tests : Knowledge, Comprehension, Analysis, Creativity, Visualization.
Part I: Multiple-choice questions marked out of 70 points.
Part II: Subjective questions marked out of 30 points, with responses to visual and/or written formats. The question paper is in English. All questions are compulsory. There is no negative marking.
Stage 2: Candidates shortlisted after the DAT Prelims appear for DAT Main. The test center is at NID Ahmedabad.
DAT Mains has two parts:
1-Studio Test: which consists of tests in different formats such as drawing/sketching, hands-on model making, group discussions etc. (100 marks)
2-Interviews: for each discipline
*** Bachelor of Fine and Applied Art
*****Graphic Design/ Animation
Where to study?
Prestigious Institutes in India
- Apeejay Institute of Design
- Frameboxx Animation and Visual Effects
- Net Tech
Featured Institutes in India
|Content on this page is by Career Expert
Mrs. Kum Kum Tandon
MA (Psychology), M.Ed, Diploma in Educational Psychology, Vocational Guidance & Counseling (NCERT, Delhi) | View Complete Profile