Norovirus can be transmitted through contaminated food, water, and surfaces. The initial symptoms of Norovirus are vomiting and/or diarrhoea, head and body aches.
Kerala school students Norovirus infected
Norovirus in Kerala: The government of Kerala informed that two school students have tested norovirus infected in the state. Norovirus is a cause of acute gastroenteritis. The students of Class 1 and 2 of a school at Kakkanad near Kochi were found infected and three children are now under treatment. According to WHO, norovirus is a viral illness that is the most common cause of acute gastroenteritis globally with symptoms including acute onset diarrhea and vomiting.
The senior medical officer of the district informed that 62 students and a few parents of the school exhibited symptoms following which two samples were sent for testing at the State Public Laboratory.
"The health condition of the children is stable. The Health Department personnel inspected the school which is now temporarily closed. We are holding online awareness sessions to the children and parents. The classrooms and the toilets have now been sanitised," the District Medical Officer said in a statement.
Precautionary measures taken to contain the virus
Norovirus can be transmitted through contaminated food, water, and surfaces, the Health Department said, adding that the initial symptoms are vomiting and/or diarrhoea, head and body aches.
Considering that Norovirus spreads through contaminated water and food, the Health Department stated that precautionary measures have been taken against the virus spread. It also urged people to maintain hygiene as the disease is highly contagious.
Last year, two children were found infected with the same virus at Vizhinjam in Thiruvananthapuram.