How to Get Direct Admission in Top MBA Colleges Without CAT
MBA Without CAT? The majority of business schools in India prefer candidates who opted for competitive exams, however, there are a few other top B-schools too which offer Direct MBA Admissions without CAT exam.
MBA without CAT? The majority of top business schools in India such as the Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs) prefer candidates who opted for competitive exams, however, there are a few other top B-schools too which offer Direct MBA Admissions without CAT exam. Many MBA colleges also have their own management entrance exams.
MBA is one of the most popular post-graduation courses in India. It brings with it a bag full of opportunities that can help you in your career. It is a two-year course which is offered by many top management institutes in India and abroad.
Whenever somebody talks about the top MBA colleges in India the first thing that strikes our mind is the CAT exam. Common Aptitude Test (CAT) is a management aptitude test which is conducted by IIMCAT for admission to the Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs) and over 1000 B-schools across India. The majority of business schools in India prefer candidates who opted for competitive exams such as CAT, MAT, XAT, etc. However, the question here is if MBA without CAT in India is possible. The answer is yes! There are a few top B-schools too which offer Direct MBA admissions without CAT. Many private institutes also provide direct admissions in the MBA courses based on their different university entrance exams and Personal Interviews or on the basis of the candidate’s score in the previous qualifying exam. However, the fee of private institutes is usually higher than those of government-owned institutes. Following CAT, the second most popular MBA entrance exam is CMAT which is conducted by the NTA. CMAT score is accepted by 1,000 MBA colleges across the country. Third most popular MBA entrance exam is XAT conducted by XLRI Jamshedpur. XAT score is accepted by over 800 MBA colleges in India. Read the article below to know how to get direct admission without CAT.
Direct Admission Without CAT: Eligibility Criteria
Check out the basic eligibility criteria for top MBA colleges offering admissions without CAT:
- The minimum score required in the UG level examination may differ from one college to another, however, the student must have scored at least 50%-65% aggregate in his or her graduation.
- For the reserved category, the score should at least be 45% aggregate.
- Some institutes accept other competitive exam scores such as XAT, MAT, GMAT, NMAT, SNAP, etc.
Direct MBA Admission Without CAT: Factors to Look For Before Opting for MBA Without CAT
Candidates must keep the following things in mind before opting for MBA without CAT in India:
- Make and maintain a list of the preferred MBA colleges that you wish to get admission to. Along with the name of the institutes, candidates must also take into account the fee structure, placement cell, quality of education, faculty, etc. of the institute
- The college must be approved by the Universities Grant Commission or AICTE.
- When opting for MBA without CAT in India, students should try and avoid agents and consultants and rather approach the college directly.
- Approaching the university or college directly will give the candidates clear and concise information about the course and the college and they will not be misguided. Candidates must visit the college campus to take a look at the infrastructure and other facilities.
- Check for the specialisations that the colleges offer. Candidates need to keep in mind their preferred MBA specialisation and whether the college they are opting for provides that particular specialisation or not.
Also Read: MBA specialisation guide
Direct Admission into an MBA College: Pros & Cons
Check out the list below to know the pros and cons of getting direct admission to MBA colleges without CAT:
- Exam preparation for the top MBA entrance exams such as CAT, XAT, GMAT, etc. requires 9-12 months of dedicated studies, which means the candidate will be able to join an MBA institute only after a year, while in case of direct admission, the candidate can start MBA course immediately after graduation.
- Getting direct admission would mean that you will save more time and get into some of the best institutes of management at an early age.
- For students who wish to start their own business after obtaining the MBA degree, direct admissions can be beneficial for them as they will acquire the necessary skills required for the business world.
- Direct MBA admissions are also a good option for those students who do not wish to switch cities or countries to pursue MBA. They can opt for the institutes and colleges in their region.
- The placements offered by companies through direct admissions are good, however, the salary packages may be lesser as compared to the students who get placed through CAT or other entrance exams.
- Usually, top companies offer higher packages to those who opted for entrance exams such as CAT and got admission into top IIMs
- By opting for exams such as CAT, one can have higher chances of getting into the best IIMs or top B-schools. Pursuing MBA from a private institute for direct admission can be expensive.
Direct Admission into MBA Without Entrance Exams
Admissions into almost all the B-Schools start around the month of July and close down by the end of September. Students start preparing for different entrance exams from the start of the year because if the student scores lesser than 95 per cent in the entrance exam his/her chances of getting into top IIMs become really low. However, if any student is opting for direct admission then they are required to follow the institute-specific selection process.
Firstly, the candidate must register either on the college’s website (online) or by visiting the college campus (offline) and apply for admission. The application form of each institute is different. Candidates can also visit the college campus and talk to the admission counsellors.
Secondly, they have to submit the documents after which they will be shortlisted on the basis of their marks in their Class 12 and graduation. A candidate with excellent scores and good communication has a higher chance of being selected for admission. Some institutes shortlist the candidates by conducting Personal Interviews or Group Discussions.
Students who opt for a management quota for direct admission can get into good colleges without appearing for any entrance exams or interviews and can also skip the admission seminars on the college campus.
Direct Admissions in Top MBA Colleges: Documents Required
- Class 10 Certificate (Original and Photocopy)
- Class 12 Certificate (Original and Photocopy)
- Graduation Certificate/ Provisional Certificate (Original and Photocopy)
- ID proof
- Transfer Certificate
- Two passport-size photos
Direct Admission in Top MBA Colleges Under Management Quota
Many MBA colleges in India have a pool of seats which is popularly known as institute-level seats. These seats are reserved for the candidates seeking admission into the college through the management quota. The admissions for institute-level seats are provided on the recommendations of the upper management of the institute or the administration. Each institute that provides direct admissions through management quota for MBA courses has its own guidelines for admissions. Many B-schools also have an NRI quota. Candidates belonging to foreign nationals, NRI or POI categories can reach out to such institutes for admission into the MBA programme.
Direct Admissions and Top MBA Colleges’ Eligibility Criteria Under Management Quota
- Different B-Schools have different processes of taking up students through direct admission. Some colleges shortlist candidates based on their Bachelor's degree scores. The candidates must have scored at least 50% aggregate in their graduation to open their way to top B-schools.
- Students can also opt for direct admission under the management quota. However, if they opt for a management quota, they will not be eligible for scholarships even if they belong to reserved categories.
Best MBA Colleges in India Without CAT
If you did not appear for the CAT exam and still wish to get admission to the best MBA colleges in India without CAT, then, here is a list of top MBA institutes that give admissions based on different entrance criteria or exams.
MBA Colleges/ Institutes
MBA Exam Score Accepted
XAT and CAT
|NMIMS School of Business Management, Mumbai|
|Great Lakes Institute of Management, Chennai||
|Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Mumbai|
|IFIM Business School|
|Indira Institute of Management, Pune|
|Jamia Millia Islamia|
|Institute of Rural Management, Anand||
|PSG College of Technology|
|Loyola Institute of Business Administration||
|KIIT School of Management||
MAT/ KIITEE MANAGEMENT
|Goa Institute of Management||
|SIMSREE - Sydenham Institute of Management Studies Research and Entrepreneurship Education||
MBA Colleges in Delhi Without CAT
Here is a list of MBA colleges in Delhi without CAT:
|Name of the Institute||Course Fee (in INR)|
|Indian Institute of Foreign Trade||8.25 L - 21.77 L|
|Jamia Millia Islamia||4.4 K - 53.34 K|
|FORE School of Management||16.98 L|
|Ambedkar University||2.12 L - 2.51 L|
|SOIL Institute of Management||13.4 L - 15.33 L|
|Shiv Nadar University||4 L - 10 L|
|Sri Guru Gobind Singh College of Commerce||62.23 K|
MBA Colleges in Mumbai Without CAT
Here is a list of MBA colleges in Mumbai without CAT along with the average course fee:
|Name of the College||Course Fee (in INR)|
|SP Jain Institute of Management & Research (SPJIMR)||20.42 L - 22.1 L|
|Chetana’s Institute of Management and Research (CIMR)||7.15 L - 7.85 L|
|IES Management College And Research Centre||8 L - 9 L|
|MET Institute Management (METIM)||4.09 L - 4.1 L|
|Sinhgad Institute of Business Management (SIBM)||2.74 L|
|Jamnalal Bajaj Institute of Management Studies (JBIMS)||6.01 L|
|International Institute of Sports Management (IISM)||7.31 L|
Read More: More MBA colleges providing direct admissions without CAT
Check the video below to know the top MBA colleges in India which offer direct admissions without CAT
To get more assistance on MBA-related queries: Click Here.
Important FAQs Related to Direct Admissions
Q. What is the basic eligibility criteria for getting a direct admission?
Q. Is there a different eligibility criteria for reserved categories?
Q. If I have appeared for XAT and not the CAT exam, will I be eligible to get admission into IIM-K?
Q. Is it better to take direct admission to a management institute or through an entrance exam?
Q. Which documents are required for getting direct admission to an MBA college?
Q. What are institute-level seats?
Q. What is the basic admission process for getting direct admission into an MBA college?
Q. Do I have to appear for a Personal Interview even if I apply through the management quota?
Q. Can I apply through the NRI quota?
Q. What are the minimum eligibility criteria to get admission through the management quota?
Q. Does XLRI also provide direct admission?
Download this article as PDF to read offlineDownload as PDF
With over 5 years of editorial experience, Saumya has been a writer at Shiksha for over three years. With a graduation degree in English literature from Delhi University, she loves to write and read non-fictional no... Read Full Bio
Upcoming MBA Exam Dates
a year ago
List Colleges in Bangalore which accepts direct admission to MBA without CAT or XAT
Reply to Satish Kumar
a year ago
College name tell me Sir
2 years ago
How can I get admission through management quota in good mba college
Reply to Vaishali
2 years ago
Nice Blog, I found something more for at http://www.top-mba.in/top-mba-colleges-accepting-low-cat-score
Reply to shalini luthra
2 years ago
CLICK THE LINK GIVEN BELOW TO GET IN TOUCH WITH US CALL 09171801370
Reply to ashish bishnoi
2 years ago
CLICK THE LINK GIVEN BELOW TO GET IN TOUCH WITH US
Reply to param