Jasmine Dang AroraDeputy Manager-Content
Front office management refers to the management of the reception and reservation areas of a hotel or healthcare facility. It involves the allocation of rooms, handling of guest reservations and requests, and the overall management of the front desk. The front office team is responsible for creating a positive first impression of the hotel or healthcare facility and ensuring a smooth check-in and check-out process for guests.
Front office management courses can be pursued at undergraduate, postgraduate, certificate, and diploma levels. Students who have completed their class 10+2 with 50 percent marks can pursue this course at the undergraduate level. The course in Front Office Management is designed to provide students with the knowledge and skills required to excel in front-office management roles. These programmes cover topics such as reservation and registration systems, guest service, and communication skills.
The course can be completed at fees ranging up to INR 1 lakh. Some of the job profiles at which Front Office Management graduates can find work are Front Desk Manager, Guest Services Manager, Receptionist, Hotel Manager, Sales and Marketing Manager, and so on, and earn an average salary ranging between INR 4 LPA to 8 LPA.
- Front Office Management Highlights
- All About Front Office Management Course
- 2.1 Why Study Front Office Management Course?
- Front Office Management Eligibility Criteria
- Front Office Management Entrance Exams 2023
- Front Office Management Courses
- Front Office Management Syllabus
- Front Office Management Career: Job Profiles, Salary and Top Recruiters
- 7.1 Top Recruiters for Front Office Management
- FAQs on Front Office Management
Front Office Management Highlights
As a career, Front Office Management has decent opportunities in the hospitality industry. One can start as a front office manager and rise up to senior managerial levels such as floor manager, hotel manager, etc. Candidates can read below to know all about Front Office Management including courses, career, eligibility, etc.
|Course Name||Front Office Management|
|Course Level||UG, PG, Diploma, Certificate|
|Duration||6 months - 2 years|
|Course Fee||Up to INR 1 lakh|
|Average Salary||INR 1.8 LPA to 6 LPA|
|Job Profiles||Front desk, Uniformed services, Concierges, Front Office accounting system, private telephone network used within an organization|
|Top Recruiters||Taj, Ramada, Hyatt, J W Marriott, ITC, and so on.|
Also Read: Know all about Hotel Management
All About Front Office Management Course
Front Office Management plays an important role in the first impression of a company. Every organisation requires a person/department to attend to visitors at the entry to address their general concerns and queries. The Front Office desk or the reception is the face, which represents the organisation. Front Office Management is a key requirement at offices, organisations, hotels, hospitals, and institutes.
The Front Office department plays a very critical role and is one of the main departments that directly interact with the customers from their arrival till the time of their check-out. The Front Office staff receives guests, addresses their queries, handles their requests, and ensures that they have a pleasurable stay. Front Office Management is a specialised area that requires special skills and training. Unfriendly and inefficient staff in the Front Office department can severely affect the business.
Why Study Front Office Management Course?
Front office management is useful for several reasons:
- Increased Efficiency: Front office management helps to streamline the reservation, registration, and check-in process, leading to increased efficiency and productivity.
- Better Guest Experience: By effectively managing the front office, hotels can provide a better guest experience, which can lead to increased customer satisfaction and loyalty.
- Improved Revenue Management: Front office management can help hotels to optimize their room inventory and pricing, leading to improved revenue management and higher profits.
- Enhanced Professionalism: Front office management training can help to enhance the professionalism of hotel staff, leading to a more cohesive and well-organized team.
- Career Advancement: A diploma in front office management can open up new career opportunities and advancement possibilities in the hospitality industry.
Front Office Management Eligibility Criteria
Courses in Front Office Management are available as degrees, diplomas, and certificates. The minimum eligibility criteria for Front Office Management courses are listed below.
- UG Courses: Candidate must have completed Class 12 or equivalent from a recognised examination board or university.
- PG Courses: Candidate must have completed graduation or equivalent from a recognised university.
Front Office Management Entrance Exams 2023
A front office management course typically focuses on developing the skills and knowledge necessary for individuals to effectively manage the day-to-day operations of the front office or reception area of a business or organization.
Some popular entrance exams to be qualified by the candidates for admission to Front Office Management courses are given below:
|Name of Entrance Exam||Registration Details||Exam Details|
|NCHM JEE||Feb '24 - May '24||In May 2024|
|UGAT||Apr' 24||In May 2024|
|CUET||Second week of February 2024||15-May-2024 to 31-May 31-2024|
|JMI Entrance Exam||Closed||Concluded|
Front Office Management Courses
One can pursue Front Office Management in full-time, part-time, and online modes. Courses available in India are degrees, diplomas, and certifications. Some of the popular courses for a career in Front Office Management are listed below:
- Diploma in Front Office Management
- Certificate in Front Office Management
- PG Diploma in Front Office Management
- Bachelor of Hotel Management
- B.Voc in Hotel Management
- BBA in Hotel and Tourism Management
- BSc in Hospitality and Tourism Studies
- BSc in Airlines, Tourism and Hospitality
- BSc in Airlines, Tourism and Hospitality
- BBA in Hospitality, travel & tourism
- BSc in Hospitality and Hotel Administration
Front Office Management Syllabus
Given below is the syllabus of a diploma course in Front Office Management:
Front Office Management Syllabus
Fundamentals of Front Office Operations
Check-in & Check-out Process
Front Office Supervisory Skills
Front Office Yield Management
Managing Front Office
Also Read: Know about Culinary Management
Front Office Management Career: Job Profiles, Salary and Top Recruiters
Front office management graduates can pursue various job profiles in different industries. The salary for these roles can vary significantly based on factors like the location, the type of organization, and the individual's experience. Here's a table showing some common job profiles and approximate average annual salaries in Indian Rupees (INR):
|Job Profile||Average Annual Salary (INR)|
|Front Office Manager||5,00,000 - 12,00,000|
|Guest Relations Manager||4,00,000 - 10,00,000|
|Hotel Manager||6,00,000 - 15,00,000|
|Office Administrator||2,50,000 - 6,00,000|
|Receptionist||2,00,000 - 4,00,000|
|Customer Service Representative||2,00,000 - 4,50,000|
|Event Coordinator||3,00,000 - 7,00,000|
|Travel Desk Coordinator||3,00,000 - 7,00,000|
|Sales and Marketing Coordinator||3,50,000 - 8,00,000|
Top Recruiters for Front Office Management
Front office management professionals can find employment opportunities in various industries, including hospitality, healthcare, retail, and more. Here's a table listing some of the top recruiters in these sectors for front-office management roles:
Hyatt Hotels Corporation
Radisson Hotel Group
Leela Palaces, Hotels, and Resorts
Aditya Birla Retail
Adani Wilmar (Fortune Foods)
FAQs on Front Office Management
Q: What is Front Office Management?
A: Front Office Management is a part of hotel and hospitality services to ensure smooth operations viz. stay and services provided to the guests. Front office management refers to the administrative and customer-facing functions within an organization, typically in businesses where there is direct interaction with clients, customers, or guests. The front office is responsible for managing the first point of contact with external stakeholders, making it a critical part of an organization's operations. Also Read: Hotel Management Course Details
Q: What are the different operations in Front Office Management?
A: Front Office Management courses are available at undergraduate and postgraduate levels. Candidates can opt for BBA, BHM, BSc, MSc, Diploma, and Certificate courses. There are two categories of Front Office Operations – Front House Operations and Back House Operations. Let’s understand them one by one:
Front House Operations include activities that are visible to the guests of the hotel. These activities include:
- Handling requests for an accommodation
- Checking availability and assigning accommodation to guests as per their requirement
- Making guest entries and paperwork regarding registration and payment
- Settling bills at the time of checkout
Back House Operations
Back House Operations of the Front Desk Department include the following activities:
- Keeping a database of guests
- Ensuring smooth services for the guests
- Maintaining guest’s accounts with the accounting system
- Preparing bills
- Generating reports
Q: Who should study Front Office Management?
A: Front Office Management is a field of study that can be beneficial for individuals with a variety of career goals and interests. Here are some people who should consider studying Front Office Management:
Hospitality and Hotel Management Students: Front Office Management is a crucial aspect of the hospitality and hotel industry. Students in hotel management or hospitality programs can greatly benefit from this field of study as it prepares them for roles in hotels, resorts, and other hospitality establishments.
Tourism and Travel Students: For those pursuing careers in the tourism and travel industry, understanding Front Office Management is essential. This knowledge helps in providing top-notch customer service and ensuring smooth travel experiences.
Business and Management Students: Front Office Management is relevant to general business and management programs, especially those focused on service-oriented industries. This knowledge can be applied to various sectors, including retail, healthcare, and event management.
Q: What is the role of a Front Office Manager?
A: The role of the front office manager is to ensure ensuring smooth operations in customer service, making duty rosters, handling complaints queries and keeping records and maintaining data, etc.
- Ensuring order and tidiness at the front desk
- Training and supervising support staff
- Making duty roster
- Ensuring smooth operations in customer service
- Handling complaints queries
- Monitoring supplies and stock
- Preparing and monitoring office budget
- Keeping records and maintaining data
- Ensuring the company’s policies and safety guidelines are followed
Q: What is the average salary of a Front Office Manager?
A: The average salary of a Front Office Manager can vary significantly depending on factors such as location, industry, the size and reputation of the organization, and the manager's level of experience and responsibilities. However, I can provide a general range to give you an idea of what to expect.
In the hospitality industry, where Front Office Managers are commonly found, the average annual salary can vary from approximately INR 5 LPA to INR 12 LPA. The specific salary may be higher or lower depending on factors such as the type of establishment (e.g., luxury hotel vs. budget hotel), the location (metropolitan areas often offer higher salaries), and the manager's experience and qualifications.
Q: What is the syllabus of the Front Office Management course?
A: The syllabus of the Front Office Management course Fundamentals of Front Office Operations, Fundamentals of Front Office Operations, Check-in, Check-out Process, Front Office Supervisory Skills, Front Office Yield Management and Managing Front Office. Here are some common topics that you might find in a Front Office Management course:
Introduction to Front Office Management
- Overview of the front office's role in an organization.
- Importance of effective front office management.
- Principles of excellent customer service.
- Handling customer inquiries and complaints.
- Building positive customer relations.
- Verbal and non-verbal communication techniques
- Administrative Tasks
Q. What is the scope of the Front Office Manager?
A. As a career, Front Office Management has decent opportunities in the hospitality industry. One can start as a front office manager and rise up to senior managerial levels such as floor manager, hotel manager, etc.
The scope of a Front Office Manager can be quite extensive, as their role is pivotal in creating a positive first impression and ensuring the smooth operation of customer-facing aspects of various organizations. The specific scope of a Front Office Manager's responsibilities may vary depending on the industry and the organization's size, but here are some key aspects of their scope:
Customer Service: Front Office Managers are responsible for delivering exceptional customer service. They need to ensure that customers, clients, or guests have a positive experience from the moment they walk in the door or make contact.
Administrative Management: They oversee administrative tasks such as appointment scheduling, record-keeping, document management, and ensuring the efficient flow of operations at the front desk or reception area.
Personnel Management: Front Office Managers often lead and manage a team of front office staff. This includes recruitment, training, performance evaluation, and conflict resolution.
Q. What are the skills required for Front Office Management?
A. One needs to possess skills such as a pleasant personality, Willingness, and ability to solve queries, Friendly disposition, Good grooming skills, Good communication skills, Calm, and patience.
To be able to make a successful career in Front Office Management, one needs to have a pleasing and friendly personality. Given below are key skills required for Front Office Management:
Front Office Management: Skills Required
Willingness and ability to solve queries
Good grooming skills
Good communication skills
Calm and patient
Q. Is front desk a skilled job?
A. Yes, front desk is a skilled job. It requires a combination of technical and soft skills, such as knowledge of hotel operations, customer service, and communication skills. This position suggests a person's hard and soft talents in areas like time management, technology use, and communication. Professionals who employ front desk skills to do their jobs well include receptionists, office assistants, hotel desk assistants, and customer service representatives.
Q. Which are the departments where Front Office Management employees can work?
A. Front Office Management career prospects are largely in the tourism, hospitality, and hotel industries. The main responsibility of the Front Office department is to ensure smooth operations viz. stay and services provided to the guests. The department includes:
- Front desk
- Uniformed services
- Front Office accounting system
- Private telephone network used within an organization
Popular Front Office Management Colleges in India
Front Office Management Applications open. Apply Now
Popular Private Front Office Management Colleges in India
Front Office Management Applications open. Apply Now
Most Popular Courses
- Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.)CSJM - Chhatrapati Shahu Ji Maharaj University
- B.Sc. (Hons) in International Hospitality Management + B.A. in Tourism StudiesInternational Institute of Hotel Management, Pune
- Advanced Program in International Hospitality Administration and Bachelor of Arts in Tourism StudiesIIHM Jaipur - International Institute of Hotel Management
- Diploma in Office ManagementNew Delhi YMCA, Institute for Office Management
- Bachelors in Hotel Management and Catering Technology (BHMCT)Pinnacle Institute of Hotel Management and Catering Technology
- Bachelor in Tourism Studies + BSc.(Hons.) International Hospitality ManagementInternational Institute of Hotel Management
News & Updates
Nov 16, 2023
Taking an Exam? Selecting a College?
Find insights & recommendations on colleges and exams that you won't find anywhere else
On Shiksha, get access to
- 61k Colleges
- 931 Exams
- 470k Reviews
- 1100k Answers
- Applied Food Studies
- Bakery & Confectionery
- Culinary Management
- Food & Wine Harmony
- Food Photography & Food Writing
- Food Production Courses
- Food Styling & Presentation
- Global Cuisine & Gastronomy
- Indian Cuisine & Culture
- Food & Beverage Service Courses
- Housekeeping Course
- Itinerary Planning
- Tour Management
- Tour Operations
- Tourism Studies
- Travel and Tourism Management