Vipra ShrivastavaSenior Manager - Content
Front Office Management plays an important role in the first impression of a company. Every organisation requires a person/department to attend visitors at the entry to address their general concerns and queries. Front Office desk or the reception is the face, which represents the organisation. Front Office Management is a key requirement at offices, organisations, hotels, hospitals and institutes.
As we know that customer experience is very important to the success of hospitality and travel businesses so the Front Office department plays a very critical role. It is the one of the main departments that directly interacts with the customers from their arrival till the time of check-out. The Front Office staff receives guests, address their queries, handles their requests and ensure that they have a pleasurable stay.
Front Office Management is a specialised area, which requires special skills and training. Unfriendly and inefficient staff in the Front Office department can severely affect the business.
As a career, Front Office Management has decent opportunities in hospitality industry. One can start as a front office manager and rise up to senior managerial levels such as floor manager, hotel manager, etc. Read below, all about Front Office Management including courses, career, eligibility, etc.
Front Office Management: Eligibility Criteria
Courses in Front Office Management are available as degree, diploma and certificates. The minimum eligibility criteria for Front Office Management courses.
- UG Courses: Candidate must have completed Class 12 or equivalent from a recognised examination board or university.
- PG Courses: Candidate must have completed graduation or equivalent from a recognised university.
Front Office Management: Required Skillset
To be able to make a successful career in Front Office Management, one needs to have pleasing and friendly personality. Given below are key skills required for Front Office Management:
Front Office Management: Skills Required
Willingness and ability to solve queries
Good grooming skills
Good communication skills
Calm and patient
Front Office Management Courses
One can pursue Front Office Management in full time, part time and online modes. Courses available in India are degree, diploma and certification. Some of the popular courses for a career in Front Office Management are listed below:
- Diploma in Front Office Management
- Certificate in Front Office Management
- PG Diploma in Front Office Management
- Bachelor of Hotel Management
- BVoc in Hotel Management
- BBA in Hotel and Tourism Management
- BSc in Hospitality and Tourism Studies
- BSc in Airlines, Tourism and Hospitality
- BSc in Airlines, Tourism and Hospitality
- BBA in Hospitality, travel & tourism
- BSc in Hospitality and Hotel Administration
Front Office Management Syllabus
Given below is the syllabus of a diploma course of Front Office Management:
Front Office Management Syllabus
Fundamentals of Front Office Operations
Check-in & Check-out Process
Front Office Supervisory Skills
Front Office Yield Management
Managing Front Office
Career in Front Office Management
Front Office Management career prospects are largely in tourism, hospitality and hotel industry. The main responsibility of Front Office department is to ensure smooth operations viz. stay and services provided to the guests. The department includes:
- Front desk
- Uniformed services
- Front Office accounting system
- private telephone network used within an organization
Front Office Operations
There are two categories of Front Office Operations – Front House Operations and Back House Operations. Let’s understand them one by one:
Front House Operations include activities that are visible to the guests of the hotel. These activities include:
- Handling request for an accommodation
- Checking availability and assigning accommodation to guests as per their requirement
- Making guest entries and paper work regarding registration and payment
- Settling bills at the time of check out
Back House Operations
Back House Operations of the Front Desk Department include the following activities:
- Keeping a databased of guests
- Ensuring smooth services for the guests
- Maintaining guest’s account with the accounting system
- Preparing bills
- Generating reports
Front Office Manager: Salary and Job Roles
The average starting salary of a Front Office Manager in India is INR 3.50 lakh per annum. The remuneration increases as the individual gains experience in the field. Given below are the Front Office Manager Job Roles:
- Ensuring order and tidiness of the front desk
- Training and supervising support staff
- Making duty roster
- Ensuring smooth operations in customer service
- Handling complaints queries
- Monitoring supplies and stock
- Preparing and monitor office budget
- Keeping records and maintaining data
- Ensuring company’s policies and safety guidelines are followed
FAQs on Front Office Management
Q: What is Front Office Management?
Q: What are the courses in Front Office Management?
Q: What is the eligibility criteria for pursuing Front Office Management?
Q: What is the role of a front office manager?
Q: What is the average salary of front office manager?
Q: What is the syllabus of Front Office Management course?
Q: Which course should I opt for in class 11 for a career in Front Office Management?
Q: How can I pursue a Front Office Management course?
Popular Front Office Management Colleges in India
#20 Shiksha Collections
#19 Shiksha Collections
Popular Private Front Office Management Colleges in India
Most Popular Courses
- B.Sc. (Hons) in International Hospitality Management + B.A. in Tourism StudiesInternational Institute of Hotel Management, Pune
- Bachelor in Tourism Studies + BSc.(Hons.) International Hospitality ManagementInternational Institute of Hotel Management
- Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.)CSJM - Chhatrapati Shahu Ji Maharaj University
- Diploma in Office ManagementNew Delhi YMCA, Institute for Office Management
- B.Sc. in Hotel ManagementKingston School of Management and Science
News & Updates
How and when will the exam be conducted at Amity University Online for Online Professional Certificate in Front Office Management?
2 months ago
The Professional Certificate in Front Office Management online course provides a comprehensive overview of the various approaches to providing world-class customer service. Designed specifically for those working in the tourism and hospitality industry, this course is accessible via your own time...The Professional Certificate in Front Office Management online course provides a comprehensive overview of the various approaches to providing world-class customer service. Designed specifically for those working in the tourism and hospitality industry, this course is accessible via your own time, space and schedule and includes modules on marketing, law, and taxation as well as leadership skills. The course is 100% online and self-paced. You can complete it in 7 hours per week. You will be awarded the Professional Certificate in Front Office Management upon completion. The curriculum is designed for intermediate-level learners.
This course will give you an understanding of the organizational duties and classifications of hotels, in addition to the Front Office responsibilities. You will also get to explore cash and credit for guests as well as the guest cycle in-depth.
The Front Office Management course is a comprehensive syllabus covering important topics and skills for those involved in hospitality and tourism. Topics covered include food service operations, tourism attraction support services, and the essentials of the industry. The Front Office course provides all technical and supervision skills required to act as a successful Front-office professional.
KEY HIGHLIGHTS OF THE PROGRAM :
- Explain the interdependent components of the international hospitality and tourism industry including
transportation, customer service, food service, lodging etc.
- Demonstrate professional lodging-specific technical skills, supervisory techniques and management skills.
- Explain the types and elements of food service operations.
- Demonstrate front-of-the-house technical and supervision techniques.
- Describe tourism attraction support services and related business opportunities.
- Describe the importance of developing the FSM as a sustainable tourism destination.
Understanding the classification of the hotel, organization duties and responsibilities of the Front Office department
Taking an Exam? Selecting a College?
Find insights & recommendations on colleges and exams that you won't find anywhere else
On Shiksha, get access to
- 60k Colleges
- 865 Exams
- 404k Reviews
- 750k Answers
- Applied Food Studies
- Bakery & Confectionery
- Culinary Management
- Food & Wine Harmony
- Food Photography & Food Writing
- Food Production Courses
- Food Styling & Presentation
- Global Cuisine & Gastronomy
- Indian Cuisine & Culture
- Food & Beverage Service Courses
- Housekeeping Courses
- Itinerary Planning
- Tour Management
- Tour Operations
- Tourism Studies
- Travel & Tourism Management