In this article, we will discuss what is the full form of SQL, its components, and some of the basic concepts and terminologies. Later in the article, we will discuss what are the advantages of using SQL.
What is the full form of SQL, and What is it?
SQL full form is Structured Query Language. It is a standard language for managing and manipulating the database. In simple terms, SQL allows users to create, extract, modify, and update data from the relational database. It also manages user access permission and executes various other tasks.
What are the Components of SQL?
SQL is composed of several components, to serve different purposes:
- Used to define and manage all the objects in the SQL database.
- It includes commands like CREATE, ALTER, and DROP
- DDL full form is Data Definition Language.
- Used to retrieve, insert, delete, and modify data in the database.
- It includes commands like SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, and DELETE.
- DML full form is Data Manipulation Language.
- Used to control access to data within the database.
- It includes commands like GRANT and REVOKE.
- DCL full form is Data Control Language.
- Used to manage transactions within the databases.
- Include commands like COMMIT and ROLLBACK.
- TCL full form is Transaction Control Language.
Must Check: SQL Online Course and Certification
What are some Basic Concepts and Terminologies used in SQL?
- Database: It is an organized collection of structured information or data. It is usually controlled by a Database Management System (DBMS).
- Table: It is a collection of rows and columns, where each row stores the data entity, and every column defines a specific information field.
- Query: It is a request to extract data or information from a database.
- Primary Key: A unique identifier for a row in the table. The primary key is always unique; no two rows in the table can have the same primary key.
- Foreign Key: A set of one or more columns in a table that refers to the primary key in another table. It establishes and enforces a link between the data in two tables.
- Index: In SQL, the index is used to speed up the retrieval of records on a database table. It provides quicker access to data as it creates more direct paths to desired records.
- Joins: Joins in SQL combine rows from one or more tables based on a related column between them.
- Views: It is a virtual table based on the result set of an SQL statement. Similar to the real table, it also contains Rows and Columns.
Advantages of SQL
|Simplicity||SQL has a simple syntax that makes it easy for beginners and professionals.|
|High-Level Language||Being a high-level language, it abstracts the complexities of working with databases.|
|Standardization||It is a standard language for managing relational databases. It ensures that SQL commands and operations are consistent across different database management systems (DBMS), allowing for portability and interoperability.|
|Data Integrity and Security||SQL provides built-in features for enforcing data integrity through constraints (e.g., primary key, foreign key) and robust security mechanisms for controlling user access, authentication, and authorization to protect sensitive data.|
|Scalability and Performance Optimization||SQL supports various techniques for optimizing query performance, such as indexing, query optimization, and database tuning.|
SQL, or Structured Query Language, is more than a full form. It is a powerful language that forms the backbone of Database management. This article has discussed the full form, its components and some terminologies used in SQL. So, the next time, you will not just know the full form of SQL, but you will also know about its capabilities and features.
Hope you will like the article.
In this article, we will discuss the key differences between SQL (Structured Query Language) and...read more
Confused, with the SQL DELETE statement, it also removes the record from the table.
So, why use...read more
What is the full form of SQL?
The full form of SQL is Structured Query Language.
Is SQL a programming language?
Yes, SQL is a programming language used for managing database. It is a standard language for managing and manipulating the database. In simple terms, SQL allows users to create, extract, modify, and update data from the relational database. It also manages user access permission and executes various other tasks.
What are the basic components of SQL?
The basic components of SQL are: Data Definition Language (DDL), Data Manipulation Language (DML), Data Control Language (DCL) and Transaction Control Language (TCL).
Download this article as PDF to read offlineDownload as PDF