Penetration testing means attempting an authorized simulated attack to exploit a system’s vulnerability in order to learn about potential flaws and the damage they can cause. In order to conduct penetration testing, testers might use a variety of penetration tools, such as Burp Suite, Netsparker, Indusface, etc.
This article will discuss Burp Suite, one of the most popular penetration testing tools in today’s era. But before we dive deeper into the topic, let’s go through the topics listed under the table of contents (TOC) that we will cover in this article.
You can also explore: What is cybersecurity?
Table of Contents (TOC)
- What is Burp Suite?
- Top 10 Burp Suite Tools
- How to Download Burp Suite?
What is Burp Suite?
Definition: Burp Suite is a penetration testing tool that consists of various tools used for web application security testing.
In layman’s terms, it is a web vulnerability tool comprising various other tools clustered together in order to find a system’s vulnerability. Testers use this tool to identify web applications or systems vulnerabilities. Once the vulnerabilities are spotted, testers or developers start fixing them in order to secure the system. This tool is a Java application that was developed by the company named Portswigger.
You can also explore: Types Of Hackers To Be Aware Of In 2023
The tool has various advantages, but one of the primary advantages of using this tool is that the tool can intercept HTTP requests. Usually, HTTP requests are directly sent to the web server from the browser that the user is using. But, if you install it, the HTTP requests are first intercepted by this tool before sending it to the web browser. Once the requests are intercepted, you can tweak the raw HTTP request, giving you more control over the traffic you are sending or receiving.
Top 10 Burp Suite Tools
Here are the top ten burp suite tools:
- Proxy: This tool allows you to intercept and modify web traffic between the browser and the target web application.
- Spider: This tool is capable of crawling a website autoutomatically and discovering links on the site.
- Scanner: This tool identifies vulnerabilities in web applications, such as SQL injection and cross-site scripting.
- Repeater: This tool allows you to modify and resend individual requests manually as needed.
- Sequencer: This tool analyzes randomness and predictability of tokens, such as session IDs.
- Decoder: This tool allows you to manually or intelligentlly decode or encode of application’s data.
- Comparer: This tool allows you compare the contents of two different requests or responses.
- Extender: This tool allows adding custom functionality to the burp suite tool, such as new scanning checks.
- Target: This tool allows you to define and manage the scope of the testing, such as the specific parameters to test.
- Intruder: This is a type of manual testing tool that allows you to perform customized attacks, such as brute-force login attempts.
You can also explore: Top 10 Cyber Security Tools
How to Download Burp Suite?
Here are the steps to download the burp tool for windows:
- Enter the https://portswigger.net/burp URL in any browser to open the PortSwigger website.
- On the PortSwigger website, click on Products.
- From the Product list, click on the Burp Suite Community Edition.
- On the Burp Suite Community Edition page, enter your email id and click Download.
- On the Professional/Community 2022.12.6 page, click Download.
- Your download will start.
- Once the download is completed, Setup – Burp Suite Community Edition 2022.12.6 dialog box will open, and click Next.
- Click the Next button twice and wait till the extraction of files is complete.
- Once the extraction is complete, click Finish.
- Once the installation is completed, open the tool by double-clicking the tool’s icon.
- In the Suite Community Edition window, click the I Accept button after reading the Terms and Conditions.
- The burp suite’s landing page will open.
- The tool has been downloaded and installed. You can start using this tool.
Advantages of using Burp Suite
There are various advantages of using the this tool. Some of the most prominent advantages of using this tool are:
- The burp suite comprises a set of tools that ensure thorough security testing.
- The tool allows users to perform fully customized scans per their requirements.
- By using the this tool, users can prevent a lot of cyber attacks, such as phishing, malware, etc.
- The tool helps you maintain the users’ trust by protecting their sensitive information.
- This tool also allows its users to perform active scans, which involves sending more data to the server; hence, vulnerability to DoS attacks can be checked.
You can alsoe xplore: What is a Man in the Middle Attack?
Disadvantages of using Burp Suite
Being one of the most popular penetration testing tools, there are only a few disadvantages to using this tool, such as:
- The graphical interface of this tool is not user-friendly.
- The free version of this tool lacks a lot of features that are present in the pro version.
- As the tool consists of various other tools, it is difficult to use for first-time or new users with little information.
You can also explore: What is Identity (ID) Theft & How to Avoid it
In this article, we have discussed what the burp suite tool is, along with its advantages and disadvantages of using it. We have also discussed the burp suite download process in detail. If you have any queries related to the topic, please feel free to send your query to us through a comment. We will be happy to help.
Download this article as PDF to read offlineDownload as PDF