UGC NET eligibility criteria 2022 is shared here for JRF and Assistant Professor post. Check here the UGC NET eligibility 2022 including the educational qualifications, age limit and relaxation norms before filling the UGC NET application form 2022.
UGC NET Eligibility 2022 for JRF & Lecturership
UGC NET eligibility criteria 2022 is one of the most important pieces of information that candidates should be aware of before applying online for the exam. UGC NET 2022 notification has been released by the National Testing Agency (NTA). Interested candidates need to apply online for the UGC National Eligibility Test (NET) exam by visiting the official website. Before filling up the application form, candidates should make sure that they fulfil the latest UGC NET eligibility criteria 2022 for JRF and Assistant Professor posts. Candidates who fail to meet the UGC NET eligibility will be disqualified by the NTA at a later stage of the examination.
For the ease of candidates, we have shared here the complete UGC NET eligibility 2022 in terms of educational qualification, age limit and relaxation norms for reserved category candidates such as SC, ST, OBC and PwD. Go through the eligibility details below before filling out the UGC NET application form 2022.
The last date to fill the UGC NET application form has been extended to May 30, 2022. Candidates can apply online from May 24 to 30, 2022. As per the latest statement, the UGC NET 2022 exam will be held in June 2022 for the December 2021 & June 2022 merged cycles.
UGC NET Eligibility 2022 – Educational Qualification
Candidates need to have the following educational qualification in order to be eligible to apply for the UGC NET exam:
- Candidates should have secured at least 55 per cent marks in master’s degree exams. A relaxation of five per cent is given to candidates belonging to Scheduled Caste (SC)/Scheduled Tribe (ST)/Other Backward Class (OBC)/Persons with Disability (PwD)/Transgender category. Therefore, candidates from reserved categories require only 50 per cent aggregate marks in their master’s degree exams.
- Candidates should have completed their post-graduation from a UGC recognised college/university in relevant streams such as Humanities, Social Science, Electronic Science, Computer Science & Applications, etc
- Candidates appearing in or awaiting results for their final year examination of master’s degree are also eligible to apply online for the UGC NET exam. However, such candidates are admitted provisionally and are considered eligible only when they pass their master’s exam with the required percentage. “Such candidates must complete their PG degree examination within two years from the date of NET result with required percentage of marks, failing which they shall be treated as disqualified”, informs the official website.
- PhD degree holders whose master’s exams were completed on September 19, 1991 (regardless of the result declaration date) are eligible for a relaxation of five per cent marks in the aggregate i.e, only 50 per cent marks are required for such candidates.
Also Read: List of UGC NET subjects
UGC NET Age Limit 2022
The UGC NET age criteria that candidates need to meet in order to be eligible for the exam is as follows:
UGC NET Assistant Professor Age Limit 2022
There is no age limit to apply for the post of UGC NET Assistant Professor or Lecturership.
UGC NET JRF Age Limit 2022
Candidates applying for the Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) should not be more than 31 years of age as on first day of the month in which the UGC NET 2022 exam concludes, that is, June 1, 2022. This age limit is applicable for the current examination only.
UGC NET JRF Age Limit Relaxation 2022
Relaxation of JRF age criteria is given to SC, ST, OBC, PwD, women, and other category candidates. Have a look at the age relaxation for the reserved categories below.
Age Relaxation (in years)
Females of all categories
Candidates having research experience
Limited to the period spent on research
(Maximum of 5 years)
Candidates holding LLM degree
Candidates in armed forces
(subject to the length of service in the armed forces)
Also Read: UGC NET normalisation of marks
UGC NET Eligibility 2022 – Exemptions
The exemptions in UGC NET eligibility criteria 2022 is applicable only for the candidates applying for the Assistant Professor post only. These exemptions are:
- The awardee of PhD degrees in accordance with GC Regulations, 2009 are exempted from the requirement of meeting the minimum eligibility criteria for UGC NET
- Candidates who have cleared UGC/CSIR JRF examination before 1989 are exempted from appearing for UGC NET 2022 exam
- Those who have cleared State Eligibility Test (SET) such as MH SET, APSET, KSET, etc. before June 1, 2002, are exempted from appearing for UGC NET 2022 exam. Such candidates can apply for the post of Assistant Professor in colleges/ universities across India on the basis of their SET score.
- Those who have cleared the State Eligibility Test after June 1, 2002, can apply for the post of Assistant Professor only in colleges/ universities that are located in the state from where they have cleared the SET exam.
Also Read: How to prepare for UGC NET 2022?
UGC NET Eligibility Criteria 2022: Reservation Policy
The reservation policy applicable to UGC NET exam is as per the Government of India rule. Accordingly, the seats are reserved in the central universities and institutes which are deemed to be universities. The reservation of seats is given below.
|Category||Reservation of seats (In %)|
|Scheduled Castes (SC)||15|
|Scheduled Tribes (ST)||7.5|
|Other Backward Classes (OBC) Non-Creamy Layer (NCL)||27|
|General-Economically Weaker Sections (General- EWS)||10|
|Persons with Disability (PwD) with 40% or more disability||4|
Also Read: UGC NET exam centres 2022
UGC NET Subject Eligibility 2022
One of the most important eligibility criteria of the UGC NET 2022 exam is the selection of the appropriate subject while submitting the application form. The UGC NET 2022 exam comprises Paper 1 and Paper 2. While Paper 1, that is, 'General Paper on Teaching and Research Aptitude' is compulsory for all, candidates need to choose an appropriate subject for Paper 2. As per the official UGC NET notification 2022, candidates are advised to appear in the subject of their Post-Graduation only. However, there are some exceptions as mentioned below:
- Candidates with a Master’s Degree in Geography (with specialisation in Population Studies) or Mathematics/ Statistics are also eligible to appear for 'Population Studies (Subject Code 015).
- Candidates with a Master’s Degree in Humanities (including languages) and Social Sciences are eligible to appear for 'Women Studies' (Subject Code 074).
Important Points for UGC NET 2022 Eligibility Criteria
Some of the important points that candidates need to note regarding UGC NET eligibility criteria are:
- Candidates are recommended to give the UGC NET 2022 exam in the subject of their post-graduation only
- If the post-graduation subject is not covered in the list of subjects given by UGC, candidates may appear in a related subject as per the official recommendation
- Those holding a post-graduate diploma/certificate by an Indian university or degree/diploma/certificate by a foreign university must determine if their diploma/degree/certificate is equivalent to the master’s degree of recognised Indian universities.
- The equivalence must be determined from the Association of Indian Universities (AIU), New Delhi
- UGC NET Validity Extended of JRF Award Letter for 1 more year: Official UGC Notice
- UGC NET Vs CSIR NET: Know Differences & Similarities
- What is the difference between NET and SET?
- Teaching Exams for Government Jobs in India- NET, SET & TET
UGC NET Eligibility 2022 FAQs
Q. Can graduates apply for the UGC NET exam?
Q. Can the 12th pass apply for UGC NET?
Q. What is UGC NET qualification?
Q. Is Masters necessary for UGC NET?
Q. Is BEd compulsory for the UGC NET exam?
Q. What is the age limit for UGC NET?
Q. Is NET compulsory after PhD?
Q. What is the minimum educational qualification required to apply for the UGC NET exam?
Q. How many attempts are there for the UGC NET exam?
Q. Is there any age relaxation for reserved category candidates in UGC NET exam?
Q. Is there relaxation in minimum educational criteria required for UGC NET?
Q. I am appearing for my final year post-graduation exams. Can I apply for the UGC NET exam?
News & Updates
Explore Other Exams
Can a student from MBA in Media Business Management apply for UGC NET Management subject code 55?
2 weeks ago
I think yes. You can apply for UGC NET in Management Subject as your Masters was in management only.
Can a person apply for UGC NET in 2 subjects at a time? I have done Masters in 2 subjects.
a month ago
You can check out the following for more information - https://www.shiksha.com/college/tirpude-institute-of-management-education-nagpur-38021.
a month ago
Yes, you can appear in the National Eligibility Test (NET) in two different subjects.
Am I eligible for UGC NET even if I had back in M.Com last semester or any negative impact on my appearance?
My wife has done MS in public health dentistry. Is she eligible for the UGC NET exam?
a month ago
You can refer the latest UGC notification. There are 100+ subjects covered. One can choose the subject from the UGC subject list or subject most similar to listed subject. Yes, she can appear with subject like community health. Best wishes.
a month ago
Dear aspirantIt's great connecting with you. You can definitely apply for the UGC NET if you have completed the Masters's programme with at least 55% marks. The candidate from the reserved CAT must have at least 50% marks. There is no age limit for the lectureship, but to apply for the JRF Fellow...Dear aspirant
It's great connecting with you. You can definitely apply for the UGC NET if you have completed the Masters's programme with at least 55% marks. The candidate from the reserved CAT must have at least 50% marks. There is no age limit for the lectureship, but to apply for the JRF Fellowship, the age limit is 30 years. If you found it useful then upvote or thumb up my answer. Good luck.
I have done my M.Com via distance mode. Can I appear for UGC NET exam?
2 months ago
Yes you can give UGC NET subjected to the UGC DEB approval of your University.
M.Sc. In Physics subject not found in the UGC NET list while applying what should I do?
2 months ago
The list of 101 subjects asked in NTA UGC NET Exam are:EconomicsPolitical SciencePhilosophyPsychology SociologyHistoryAnthropologyCommerceEducationSocial WorkDefense & Strategic StudiesHome SciencePublic AdministrationPopulation StudiesMusicManagementMaithiliBengaliHindiKannadaMalayalamOr...The list of 101 subjects asked in NTA UGC NET Exam are:
Defense & Strategic Studies
Arab Culture and Islamic Studies
Labour Welfare/Personnel Management/Industrial Relations/ Labour and Social Welfare/Human Resource Management
Library & Information Science
Buddhist, Jaina, Gandhian, and Peace Studies
Comparative Study of Religions
Mass Communication & Journalism
Museology & Conservation
Tribal & Regional Language/Literature
Social Medicine & Community Health
Computer Science & Applications
Politics including International Relations
Human Rights & Duties
Tourism Administration & Management
So, Physics is not available with this.
I am a B.Tech graduate and have also done MA in history. Am I eligible for UGC NET exam with paper 2 history?
2 months ago
CONDITIONS OF ELIGIBILITY-I) Candidates who have secured at least 55% marks (without rounding off) in Masters Degree or equivalent examination from universities/institutions recognised by UGC in Humanities (including languages) and Social Science, Computer Science & Applications, Electronic Scien...CONDITIONS OF ELIGIBILITY-
I) Candidates who have secured at least 55% marks (without rounding off) in Masters Degree or equivalent examination from universities/institutions recognised by UGC in Humanities (including languages) and Social Science, Computer Science & Applications, Electronic Science etc. Are eligible for this Test. The Other Backward Classes (OBC) belonging to non-creamy layer / Scheduled Caste (SC) / Scheduled Tribe (ST) / Persons with disability (PWD) category candidates who have secured at least 50% marks (without rounding off) in Masters degree or equivalent examination are eligible for this Test.
ii) Candidates who have appeared or will be appearing at the qualifying Masters degree (final year) examination and whose result is still awaited or candidates whose qualifying examinations have been delayed may also apply for this Test. However, such candidates will be admitted provisionally and shall be considered eligible for award of JRF/Assistant Professor eligibility only after they have passed their Masters degree examination or equivalent with at least 55% marks (50% marks in case of OBC (Non-creamy layer)/ SC/ ST/ PWD (Persons with disability) category candidates). Such candidates must complete their P. G. degree examination within two years from the date of NET result with required percentage of marks, failing which they shall be treated as disqualified.