UGC NET 2023 eligibility criteria for JRF and Assistant Professor posts are provided below. Check UGC NET eligibility for 2023, including the educational qualifications, age limit, and relaxation norms, before filling out the UGC NET application form.
UGC NET Eligibility 2023 for JRF & Lecturership
UGC NET eligibility criteria 2023: The National Testing Agency (NTA) will release the notification for the UGC NET December exam soon on the official website. The NTA will expect to release the notification in the month of September/October 2023. The application form will be released along with the release of the UGC NET notification 2023. The candidates who are preparing for the UGC NET exam must go through the eligibility criteria before filling out the application form.
For the ease of candidates, we have shared here the complete UGC NET eligibility 2023 in terms of educational qualification, age limit, and relaxation norms for reserved category candidates such as SC, ST, OBC, and PwD. Go through the eligibility details below before filling out the UGC NET application form 2023.
UGC NET 2023 Eligibility Criteria
According to the UGC NET eligibility criteria for 2023, NTA revised the upper age limit for JRF (Junior Research Fellowship) on January 5, 2023. The candidates must not be more than 30 years old to apply for UGC JRF. Candidates who meet the UGC NET 2023 eligibility requirements will be able to fill out the application form. Candidates must go through the NET JRF eligibility criteria and NET Assistant Professors/Lecturers eligibility criteria before applying. The UGC NET is conducted twice every year to determine the qualifying status of candidates to be JRFs and Assistant Professors. Scroll down to know the UGC NET 2023 eligibility criteria in detail.
UGC NET Eligibility 2023 – Educational Qualification
Candidates need to have the following educational qualifications in order to be eligible to apply for the UGC NET exam:
- Candidates should have secured at least 55 per cent marks in master’s degree exams. A relaxation of five per cent is given to candidates belonging to Scheduled Caste (SC)/Scheduled Tribe (ST)/Other Backward Class (OBC)/Persons with Disability (PwD)/Transgender category. Therefore, candidates from reserved categories require only 50 per cent aggregate marks in their master’s degree exams.
- Candidates should have completed their post-graduation from a UGC-recognised college/university in relevant streams such as Humanities, Social Science, Electronic Science, Computer Science & Applications, etc
- Candidates appearing in or awaiting results for their final year examination for a master’s degree are also eligible to apply online for the UGC NET exam. However, such candidates are admitted provisionally and are considered eligible only when they pass their master’s exam with the required percentage. “Such candidates must complete their PG degree examination within two years from the date of NET result with required percentage of marks, failing which they shall be treated as disqualified”, informs the official website.
- PhD degree holders whose master’s exams were completed on September 19, 1991 (regardless of the result declaration date) are eligible for a relaxation of five per cent marks in the aggregate i.e., only 50 per cent marks are required for such candidates.
UGC NET Age Limit 2023
The UGC NET age criteria that candidates need to meet in order to be eligible for the exam are as follows:
UGC NET Assistant Professor Age Limit 2023
There is no age limit to apply for the post of UGC NET Assistant Professor or Lecturership.
NET JRF Age Limit 2023
Candidates applying for the Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) should not be more than 31 years of age as on the first day of the month in which the UGC NET 2023 exam concludes, that is, December. This age limit is applicable for the current examination only.
UGC NET JRF Age Limit Relaxation 2023
Relaxation of JRF age criteria is given to SC, ST, OBC, PwD, women, and other category candidates. Have a look at the age relaxation for the reserved categories below.
Age Relaxation (in years)
Females of all categories
Candidates having research experience
Limited to the period spent on research
(Maximum of 5 years)
Candidates holding LLM degree
Candidates in armed forces
(subject to the length of service in the armed forces)
Also Read: UGC NET Normalisation of Marks
UGC NET 2023 JRF Eligibility
NET JRF Eligibility: Those candidates who appeared for NET JRF are eligible for both Assistant Professors and fellowships programmes. Also, a candidate who qualifies for JRF will also be deemed qualified for a lectureship. But, it is important to note here that if a candidate qualifies for a lectureship, he or she won't be considered qualified for JRF. In this case, a candidate will be considered for a lectureship only.
UGC NET Eligibility 2023 – Exemptions (For Assistant Professor)
The exemptions in UGC NET eligibility criteria 2023 are applicable only to the candidates applying for the Assistant Professor post only. These exemptions are:
- The awardee of PhD degrees in accordance with GC Regulations, 2009 are exempted from the requirement of meeting the minimum eligibility criteria for UGC NET
- Candidates who have cleared UGC/CSIR JRF examination before 1989 are exempted from appearing for UGC NET 2023 exam
- Those who have cleared State Eligibility Test (SET) such as MH SET, APSET, KSET, etc. before June 1, 2002, are exempted from appearing for UGC NET 2023 exam. Such candidates can apply for the post of Assistant Professor in colleges/ universities across India on the basis of their SET score.
- Those who have cleared the State Eligibility Test after June 1, 2002, can apply for the post of Assistant Professor only in colleges/ universities that are located in the state from where they have cleared the SET exam.
Also Read: How to prepare for UGC NET 2023?
UGC NET Eligibility Criteria 2023: Reservation Policy
The reservation policy applicable to the UGC NET exam is as per the Government of India rule. Accordingly, the seats are reserved in the central universities and institutes which are deemed to be universities. The reservation of seats is given below.
|Category||Reservation of seats (In %)|
|Scheduled Castes (SC)||15|
|Scheduled Tribes (ST)||7.5|
|Other Backward Classes (OBC) Non-Creamy Layer (NCL)||27|
|General-Economically Weaker Sections (General- EWS)||10|
|Persons with Disability (PwD) with 40% or more disability||4|
UGC NET Subject Eligibility 2023
One of the most important eligibility criteria for the UGC NET 2023 exam is the selection of the appropriate subject while submitting the application form. The UGC NET 2023 exam comprises Paper 1 and Paper 2. While Paper 1, that is, 'General Paper on Teaching and Research Aptitude' is compulsory for all, candidates need to choose an appropriate subject for Paper 2. As per the official UGC NET notification 2023, candidates are advised to appear in the subject of their Post-Graduation only. However, there are some exceptions as mentioned below:
- Candidates with a Master’s Degree in Geography (with specialisation in Population Studies) or Mathematics/ Statistics are also eligible to appear for 'Population Studies (Subject Code 015).
- Candidates with a Master’s Degree in Humanities (including languages) and Social Sciences are eligible to appear for 'Women Studies' (Subject Code 074).
Important Points for UGC NET 2023 Eligibility Criteria
Some of the important points that candidates need to note regarding UGC NET eligibility criteria are:
- Candidates are recommended to give the UGC NET 2023 exam in the subject of their post-graduation only
- If the post-graduation subject is not covered in the list of subjects given by UGC, candidates may appear in a related subject as per the official recommendation
- Those holding a post-graduate diploma/certificate from an Indian university or degree/diploma/certificate from a foreign university must determine if their diploma/degree/certificate is equivalent to a master’s degree from a recognised Indian university.
- The equivalence must be determined by the Association of Indian Universities (AIU), New Delhi
UGC NET 2023 Application Form
The last date for filling out the UGC NET 2023 application form is May 31, 2023, for the UGC NET June session 2023. NTA released the UGC NET 2023 application form on May 10, 2023, for the June 2023 Cycle on the official website. The candidates have to fill out the application form online as the UGC or NTA does not invite any offline applications. The application form was made available in online mode. To complete the UGC NET 2023 application process, candidates were required to upload scanned copies of their photographs and signature along with the payment of the application fee.
- UGC NET Validity Extended of JRF Award Letter for 1 more year: Official UGC Notice
- UGC NET Vs CSIR NET: Know Differences & Similarities
- What is the difference between NET and SET?
- Teaching Exams for Government Jobs in India- NET, SET & TET
UGC NET Eligibility 2023 FAQs
Q. Can graduates apply for the UGC NET exam?
Q. Can the 12th pass apply for UGC NET?
Q. What is UGC NET qualification?
Q. Is Masters necessary for UGC NET?
Q. Is BEd compulsory for the UGC NET exam?
Q. What is the age limit for UGC NET?
Q. Is NET compulsory after PhD?
Q. What is the minimum educational qualification required to apply for the UGC NET exam?
Q. How many attempts are there for the UGC NET exam?
Q. Is there any age relaxation for reserved category candidates in UGC NET exam?
Q. Is there relaxation in minimum educational criteria required for UGC NET?
Q. I am appearing for my final year post-graduation exams. Can I apply for the UGC NET exam?
Download this article as PDF to read offlineDownload as PDF
Dewesh is an enthusiastic content writer who is in search of new ideas to write.
News & Updates
Explore Other Exams
If you have secured at least 55% marks in Masters Degree or equivalent examination from universities or institutions recognised by UGC in Humanities (including languages) and Social Science, Computer Science & Applications, Electronic Science etc. are eligible for this. These conditions should be me
Answered a week ago
To check the result, candidates must visit the official website of NTA, which is ugcnet.nta.nic.in/.
Along with the result, the NTA will also release the cut-off marks and a merit list for the qualified candidates.
Answered a week ago
Candidates must secure 55% marks in Post-graduation, and 5% relaxation for the reserved category. Candidates who have prior research experience are given preference. A UGC NET-qualified candidate is not required to give the entrance exam, they can sit directly in an interview.
Answered a week ago
Applicants need to complete the UGC NET 2023 Registration @ ugcnet.nta.nic.in to take part in the exam and then qualify the exam further to get selected. Direct link is given below to Apply Online UGC NET Dec 2023 @ ugcnet.nta.nic.in.
Answered a week ago
Candidates appearing for the University Grants Commission National Eligibility Test (UGC NET) in 2023 are required to carry the following documents to the examination centre:
- UGC NET Admit Card: The admit card is a mandatory document that candidates must carry to the examination centre. It contains i
Answered 3 weeks ago
Candidates who want to appear for the UGC NET exam must have a Master's degree or its equivalent from a recognized university with at least 55% marks. However, As per UGC NET Eligibility, the minimum percentage required for SC/ST/OBC/PwD candidates is 50%. So, these candidates can give UGC Net.
Answered a month ago
The UGC NET Folk Literature syllabus serves as a roadmap, guiding candidates to familiarize themselves with all the topics in detail.
Folk Literature is an amalgamated discipline which not only involves folklore but also includes disciplines like Linguistics, Psychology, Anthropology and Human Histor
Answered a month ago
A master's degree in environmental Science or a closely related field with at least 55% overall (or 50% for applicants from restricted categories) of the possible points is required for UGC NET Environmental Science eligibility.
According to the UGC NET test criteria, candidates may take the exam in
Answered a month ago
Yes, you can give your NET in Geography if you have done Masters in Rural Development and Bachelors in Geography.
According to the NTA UGC bulletin, candidates with a Master's or equivalent degree, having 55% marks, are allowed to choose any subject of their choice for the UGC NET Examination. They
Answered a month ago
Whether you do your Masters in regular mode or through distance learning is immaterial. Just make sure that the degree is from an approved university.
You can appear in the Subject Code - 01 which covers Economics / Rural Economics /Co-operation / Demography / Development Planning/ Development Studie