Python is one of the most popular programming languages in the recent times. This language has gained popularity due to simplicity and ease of use.
Python is a high-level, interpreted programming language known for its simplicity and readability. Developed by Guido van Rossum and first released in 1991, Python has become one of the most popular programming languages worldwide. Let us learn more about it in this blog.
Table of Contents
What is Python?
Python is a high-level, general-purpose, and dynamically-type language that has recently become popular. This programming language supports various programming paradigms, structured programming, functional programming, and object-oriented programming. It is used for writing instructions for the computer to follow. Python is used for web development, machine learning, and data analysis tasks.
Beginners use this language since it is easy to read and has a simple syntax. Python uses indentation for the blocks of code and the purpose of consistent naming convention to follow the program flow. Due to the availability of huge standard library along with various modules and packages, it supports several important functionalities and has one of the largest communities.
Explore free Python courses
Features of Python
The following are the features of Python language:
- Unlike most programming languages that require variable type declaration before runtime, Python allows variable type declaration during runtime. Due to this, it is considered to be a dynamically typed language.
- Python provides toolkits such as JPython, wxPython, Tkinter that allow the easy and fast development of a Graphical User Interface (GUI).
- It comes with a feature of automatic memory management that automatically frees memory in the code without the need for memory allocation.
- Python language comes with the feature of data analysis that can help in creating custom big data solutions without much effort and time. It has data visualization libraries and APIs that present data more efficiently and in an appealing manner.
- It is embeddable in nature since the code of other programming languages can be used in the source code of Python. Similarly, the source code of Python can be used in other programming languages. It can embed other programming languages into the code.
- The Python language is highly extensible in nature. This means that Python can be extended to other programming languages. Its code can be written into other languages as well.
- It offers support for both procedure-oriented and object-oriented programming languages.
Explore programming courses
Advantages of Python
The following points mention the advantages of Python language:
- It is developed based on OSI-approved open-source license. It is completely free-of-cost and can also be used for commercial purposes. Python language can be freely redistributed as well as modified.
- Python comes with an extensive standard library that can be used by developers. There are multiple libraries in Python that are available for unit testing, databases, image manipulation, expressions, and other functionalities. These robust standard libraries reduce the efforts of programmers to, again and again, write code for every purpose. Unlike other programming languages, there is no need to rewrite codes in Python.
- It is useful for developing web apps, desktops, complex scientific and numerical applications.
- Python can express complex tasks using only a few lines of code.
- It is a portable language as the same code can be reused on different machines without the need to make any changes. The codes that are written for Mac can run on Linux or Windows without making changes. This saves the effort and time of writing the same program multiple times.
- Python is a high-level language that comes with a simple syntax with the availability of rich libraries and versatility.
- It is useful for developing desktop, web apps, and complex scientific as well as numerical applications.
Limitations of Python Language
While we have already discussed the advantages of Python language, let us now discuss its limitations.
- Several modules of Python lack support since the quality of individual packages shared by other users varies. Many of these are not updated on regular basis.
- Programmers embed block comments for deactivating or isolating certain sections of code for improving code readability. This increases the work for developers since they need to write comments for each line.
- To analyze massive data volumes by Python app, developers have to use third-party libraries since Python libraries are not capable alone for this purpose.
Most organizations use Python due to its ease of use and ability to increase productivity. The use of Python language reduced the time, cost, and effort required for the development. In combination with other programming languages, Python makes integration with existing code for simple and quick upgradation. The scalable frameworks and libraries of Python and reusable code allow easy and fast development of web applications.
Download this article as PDF to read offlineDownload as PDF