CAT 2021 Topper Interview: Know How Vinay Kotwal Made it to the 99 Percentilers Club

3 mins read11.3K Comments

Saumya
Saumya Jain
Assistant Manager- Content
Updated on Jan 5, 2022 15:06 IST

Read the article below to know how Vinay Kotwal secured the 99.4 percentile in CAT 2021.

Vinay Kotwal, a Computer Science engineer from Punjab University, secured the 99.4 percentile in CAT 2021 exam. He is working as a Business Technology Solutions Associate in one of the leading firms. He hails from Kolkata and made it to the 99 percentilers club. With an interest in data analytics, he wishes to pursue MBA in Business Analytics. Shiksha got to talking with Vinay and he shared his CAT success mantra. Read the article below to know more.

Also Read: CAT 2021 toppers list

CAT 2021 score:

Overall: 99.4 Percentile

Sectional Percentile:

VARC: 97.24

DILR: 99.81

Quant: 95.96

Q: Congratulations! Are you satisfied with your CAT result? How much score were you expecting?

A: Well, I was expecting this score as the Quant section did not go very well. I was expecting around 110. But I am satisfied with my score.

Q: Was this your first CAT attempt?

A: This was my second CAT attempt. I also appeared for CAT 2020 exam where I scored 97.95 percentile.

Q: When did you start preparing for the CAT exam? What was your overall prep strategy?

A: I started my CAT preparations in February 2020, since I also appeared for the CAT last year. Being from a mathematics background, I had a hold over the Quant section. I mainly focused on the VARC section. I referred to Word Power Made Easy by Norman Lewis. I also used to read the newspaper daily to improve my English. I practiced Quant questions every day but I also focused a lot on the VARC section.

Q: Please share with us your section-wise strategy.

A: For VARC,  I used to read newspapers daily and a lot of editorials. Because I think reading is very important as it helps you with the RC questions and the approach to these questions gets better.

For DILR, I think it is better to practice all kinds of questions so that you can choose which questions to attempt on the exam day. So I prepared and practiced various combinations of the questions.

For QA, I used to practice a lot. This section was a little easier for me, but I made sure to practice QA questions every day.

Check CAT cut offs and predict calls from IIMs and Non-IIMs accepting CAT score for admission. Check Fees, Placement Reviews, Admission, Shortlist Criteria and Eligibility of all CAT participating colleges by clicking the link below:

Predict CAT Admission Calls

Check Cut offs of top MBA entrance exams and predict calls from IIMs and other Top MBA Colleges. Check Fees, Placement Reviews, Admission, Shortlist Criteria and eligibility of all MBA Colleges by clicking the link below:

Predict IIM & Non IIM Calls

Q: Which books did you refer to for CAT preparation?

A: Because of COVID-19, I was not able to prepare a lot but I referred to Arun Sharma for different topics and I got a lot of help.

Q: Did you join any coaching institute? How does the coaching institute help in CAT preparation?

A: No, I did not join any coaching institute. I secured the 99.4 percentile in CAT without coaching. But it may have helped me score 100 percentile but it is not absolutely necessary.

Q: How many mock tests did you attempt and how important is a mock test series?

A: I attempted only one mock test a week before the exam. Juggling between work and preparations I did not have much time to attempt mock tests, but I feel that mock tests are very important to give you clarity. They are crucial and important as they help you understand where you stand right now and which areas require improvement. Students must aim to attempt at least two mock tests in a week.

Q: What was your exam day strategy?

A: The only exam day strategy was to be patient and calm. No amount of preparation would be enough if you are stressed.

Q: Any tips for future CAT aspirants?

A: Just that they should keep their mind cool during the exam and not be stressed. If they’ll be calm they’ll be able to score better.

Q: Which IIMs /Institutes are you targeting?

A: I am targeting IIM Bangalore and IIM Calcutta for MBA in Business Analytics.

Saumya Jain
Assistant Manager- Content

With over 5 years of editorial experience, Saumya has been a writer at Shiksha for over three years. With a graduation degree in English literature from Delhi University, she loves to write and read non-fictional no... Read Full Bio

Comments