Vivek Mishra, UGC NET 2018 qualified for JRF & Assistant Professor shares prep tips for Geography

University Grants Commission National Eligibility Test 2022 ( UGC NET )

Shikha
Shikha Anand
Manager - Content
Updated on Mar 7, 2019 10:17 IST

In a candid interview with Shiksha, Vivek Kumar Mishra shares the prep strategy he adopted to crack UGC NET (December) 2018 exam.

Vivek Kumar Mishra cracked UGC NET (December) 2018 Geography paper for Assistant Professor and JRF (Junior Research Fellowship) by obtaining an aggregate score of 204/300 (66%). His paper-wise scores in UGC NET 2018 exam include 66/100 in paper-I and 138/200 in paper-II.

Currently preparing for UPSC Civil Services Exam, Vivek has completed his graduation and post-graduation both in Geography from Allahabad University. His father is a politician and mother is a home-maker. However, his biggest motivation is his uncle who is Superintendent of Police (SP) in UP Police.

Further, Vivek talks about the preparation strategy he adopted to clear UGC NET 2018 exam. Read the complete interview below:

Q. Congratulations for qualifying UGC NET 2018. Did you expect to qualify UGC NET for Assistant Professor and JRF?

A.

The biggest strength for any student is ‘hope’ and same applies for me too. So, yes I hoped to qualify UGC NET for JRF and Assistant Professor. Also, I was confident about my NET preparation.

Q. Could you tell us your preparation strategy that helped you crack UGC NET exam?

A.

Since I am preparing for UPSC Civil Services Exam, I got very little time for UGC NET preparation. However, in the time I prepared for NET, I focused on both the papers equally. I created my own notes from various books that mainly consisted of facts. I focused more on facts as in Geography major number of questions in the exam have been fact-based over the years.

I used to revise whatever I used to study multiple times. I solved many previous years’ UGC NET question papers. Also, I attempted a lot of mock tests since UGC NET was conducted in online mode this year.

Q. Did you take any coaching for the exam?

A.

No, I did not feel the need for any coaching to prepare for NET. I knew my subject well as I have been studying Geography for five years. Paper-I could be cracked by self-study as well.

Q. Which books did you read to prepare for the exam?

A.

For paper-I, I made notes of three sections – teaching, research and communication – mainly from the book, “General Paper-1 UGC NET/ JRF/ SLET” by Arihant.

For paper-II, I made short notes from various books such as “Physical Geography” by Savinder Singh.

Q. How did you deal with your strengths and weaknesses while preparing for the exam?

A.

Self-motivation has been the key for me not only for NTA (National Testing Agency) UGC NET but each and every academic and non-academic exam.

Q. What as per you are the mistakes one should avoid while preparing for the exam?

A.

Avoid reading from too many sources and bulky books. Always make your own notes and keep revising what you study. Try attempting as many UGC NET question papers as possible.

Q. Which as per you was the most difficult part of the UGC NET exam?

A.

In my opinion, UGC NET is an easy exam to crack if you maintain continuity in your studies and study in a systematic manner.

Q. Any things that students should keep in mind to perform well on the day of the exam?

A.

Avoid getting over-excited for the exam and try to keep calm. Always read all the questions asked in the exam very carefully. Manage your time in paper-I of UGC NET exam well.

Q. Was clearing UGC NET always your first preference?

A.

No, my main aim was to clear UPSC Civil Services. However, I also love teaching and that motivated me to crack UGC NET.

Q. Any tips for students who are planning to take the exam next year?

A.

Study less but have continuity in your study. You should know what to study and more importantly what NOT to study. You can figure out the importance of different topics in UGC NET exam by going through previous years’ question papers.

Q. What are your future plans?

A.

I wish to enroll myself in PhD and continue with my preparation for UPSC Civil Services.

Shikha Anand
Manager - Content

With a huge appetite for scrumptious food, Shikha is a big foodie and enjoys watching movies the most. Shopping is not really her cup of tea but her favourite pastime is spending quality time with friends and family... Read Full Bio

Download Important Dates for Sarkari Exams Exams

CSIR NET 2022 Cut Off

CSIR UGC NET Final Answer Key

SSC CGL 2022 Tier-I Exam Dates

SSC CGL 2022 Admit Card Dates

SSC JE 2022 Paper 1 Exam Date

Last Date to Pay Fee Online an...

HPTET Exam Date

Application Correction

15 Jan '23 -

Admit Card

Exam Date

KTET Admit Card

KTET Exam

Comments

d

Are candidates who have qualified for the UGC NET JRF and are applying for the Ph.D. program exempted from the AILET?

j

jasveer singh

Yesterday

Hi deepika No, according to NLU, Delhi, which conducts the AILET exam, the candidates who have qualified for the UGC NET JRF are not exempted from the AILET. Any such NET-qualified candidate needs to appear in the AILET entrance exam at NLU, Delhi, to do a Ph.D. at NLU. This exam is conducted onc...Hi deepika
No, according to NLU, Delhi, which conducts the AILET exam, the candidates who have qualified for the UGC NET JRF are not exempted from the AILET. Any such NET-qualified candidate needs to appear in the AILET entrance exam at NLU, Delhi, to do a Ph.D. at NLU. This exam is conducted once a year at the national level by the NLU, Delhi. The duration of the exam is 1 hour and 30 minutes and is held in offline mode. To be admitted to the Ph.D. programme at NLU, Delhi, you must have completed an LL. M. or an equivalent law degree with 55% marks. After clearing AILET. You can get NLU-D for a Ph.D. in law. And if it's help you like it.

Deeksha Dixit

No, according to NLU, Delhi, which conducts the AILET exam, the candidates who have qualified for the UGC NET JRF are not exempted from the AILET. Any such NET-qualified candidate needs to appear in the AILET entrance exam at NLU, Delhi, to do a Ph.D. at NLU. This exam is conducted once a year at...No, according to NLU, Delhi, which conducts the AILET exam, the candidates who have qualified for the UGC NET JRF are not exempted from the AILET. Any such NET-qualified candidate needs to appear in the AILET entrance exam at NLU, Delhi, to do a Ph.D. at NLU. This exam is conducted once a year at the national level by the NLU, Delhi. The duration of the exam is 1 hour and 30 minutes and is held in offline mode. To be admitted to the Ph.D. programme at NLU, Delhi, you must have completed an LL. M. or an equivalent law degree with 55% marks. After clearing AILET. You can get NLU-D for a Ph.D. in law.

What is difference between UGC NET and CSIR NET?

d

deepika maurya

The difference between UGC NET and CSIR NET is1- UGC NET exam is conducted for Adult Education, Continuing Education, Andragogy, Non-Formal Education, Forensic Science, Law, Mass Communication and Journalism, Philosophy, Sanskrit, Tourism, Administration, and Management. Eligibility Criteria for ...The difference between UGC NET and CSIR NET is
1- UGC NET exam is conducted for Adult Education, Continuing Education, Andragogy, Non-Formal Education, Forensic Science, Law, Mass Communication and Journalism, Philosophy, Sanskrit, Tourism, Administration, and Management. Eligibility Criteria for UGC NET:
Master's Degree or equivalent with minimum 55 percent marks for open category and 50 percent for SC, ST, PwD, and Transgender applicants. Age Limit: 31 years for JRF (Junior Research Fellowship). There is no age limit for Assistant Professorship. Nationality: Indian
Subject Eligibility: Subject of your Post-Graduation.
2- The CSIR NET examination is conducted only for the Science stream students, and the Indian Council of Agricultural Research-National Eligibility Test is held for the students belonging to the Agriculture Field. For all other subjects or streams, the students need to appear for the UGC NET examination. CSIR NET Educational Qualification:
M.Sc, BE/B.Tech, Integrated BSMS BS-4 Years, B.Pharma MBBS or an Equivalent Degree. For OBC and General candidates, 55 percent marks are needed, and for SC, ST, and PWD candidates, a minimum of 50 percent marks are needed. I hope this will help you.

Pranmoi Mazumdar

UGC NET exam is conducted in almost all subjects of every stream and also for humanities and other professional courses. Where in CSIR NET exam is conducted only for science stream subject like Chemistry, Physics, Science, mathematical Science, chemical Science and life Science.

Which is more suitable for agriculture students, the CSIR NET or the UGC NET?

d

deepika maurya

The CSIR NET examination is conducted only for the Science stream students, and the ICAR (Indian Council of Agricultural Research) NET is held for the students belonging to the Agriculture Field. For all other subjects or streams, the students need to appear for the UGC NET examination. CSIR NET ...The CSIR NET examination is conducted only for the Science stream students, and the ICAR (Indian Council of Agricultural Research) NET is held for the students belonging to the Agriculture Field. For all other subjects or streams, the students need to appear for the UGC NET examination. CSIR NET Educational Qualification:
M.Sc, BE/B.Tech, Integrated BSMS BS-4 Years, B.Pharma MBBS or an Equivalent Degree. For OBC and General candidates, 55 percent marks are needed, and for SC, ST, and PWD candidates, a minimum of 50 percent marks are needed. UGC NET exam is conducted for Adult Education, Continuing Education, Andragogy, Non-Formal Education, Forensic Science, Law, Mass Communication and Journalism, Philosophy, Sanskrit, Tourism, Administration, and Management. UGC NET Eligibility Criteria:
Master's Degree or equivalent with minimum 55 percent marks (50 percent for SC, ST, PwD, and Transgender applicants)
Age Limit: 31 years for JRF (Junior Research Fellowship). There is no age limit for Assistant Professorship. Number of attempts: the limit on attempts for JRF and Andhra Pradesh
Nationality: Indian
Subject Eligibility: Subject of your Post-Graduation.

Pranmoi Mazumdar

UGC NET will be more suitable for agriculture students rather then CSIR NET because the UGC NET is held for the students belonging to the agricultural field while the CSIR NET examination is conducted only for Science student.

I have done my graduation with 65 % marks. Can I apply for UGC NET in history while pursuing M.A. In history?

Durgesh .

Yes, you are eligible. But make sure you should have minimum 55% aggregate marks (for General category) or 50% aggregate marks (for OBC/SC/ST/PwD category). In UGC NET exam you can appear only on the basis of your post graduation courses. So, you can apply in History for UGC NET Exam.

V

How to convert percentile into percentage? What is the formula for that?

Pushyami Reddy

The formula is calculating the quotient between the number of values below your score and the number of all the values in your data set. Multiply the result by 100 to get a percentage.

I've done my M.A. In English Language Teaching. In which subject am I eligible to apply in UGC NET?

Rajat Pareek

A candidate can appear in NET Exam only in the subject they have done post graduation. In your case you are eligible for only NET in History. So, if you want to appear for NET exam then according to eligibility you need to start your preparation in History.

What is JRF after the UGC NET exam?

Deeksha Dixit

A junior research fellowship is referred to as a JRF. After qualifying for JRF through the UCG NET, you become entitled to a monthly research stipend of Rs. 31,000;To get this stipend, you will have to pass the JRF cutoff in the UCG NET exam. You can apply for this exam after completing your post...A junior research fellowship is referred to as a JRF. After qualifying for JRF through the UCG NET, you become entitled to a monthly research stipend of Rs. 31,000;
To get this stipend, you will have to pass the JRF cutoff in the UCG NET exam. You can apply for this exam after completing your postgraduate studies in any subject. With JRF, you can enroll for a Ph.D. at top universities such as BHU. This Ph.D. will help you become a professor. However, you can pursue a Ph.D. without a JRF, but this stipend will help you cover the research costs. Also, it acts as an added advantage to get into a prestigious university under a reputed guide.

Surbhi Sahu

JRF is the abbreviated form of Junior Research Fellowship. It is a 2 years research programme awarded to UGC NET JRF qualified candidates. It is a scholarship programme through which students can pursue Ph.D. in their respective subjects. Candidates with Bachelor's degree, whether Science, engine...JRF is the abbreviated form of Junior Research Fellowship. It is a 2 years research programme awarded to UGC NET JRF qualified candidates. It is a scholarship programme through which students can pursue Ph.D. in their respective subjects. Candidates with Bachelor's degree, whether Science, engineering or any other discipline, will be eligible for fellowship only after getting registered/enrolled for PhD/integrated Ph.D. programme within the validity period of two years. SRF stands for Senior Research Fellowship which is awarded after the promotion from JRF.

V

I have scored 63.766 marks in UGC NET 2022. What is my %age of marks out of 300?

Priyanka Kukreja

Your percentage is 21.25. according to your marks 63.766 marks out of 300.

s

I have 77.9 percentile in UGC NET exam. How many marks do I have?

Nagarjuna Y A

That's great congratulations for your result and all the best for your future. To be honest its not a bad performance its really good. There are people who got lower than you so go forward and achieve your dreams mate.

My daughter has scored 96/100 marks in law and 50/50 in general paper. Is she eligible for JRF?

Prajith pp

Yes, your daughter is eligible for JRF.