Eligibility criteria for IIM admission includes 50 per cent in graduation, CAT exam score and group discussion and personal interview. Read all about IIM eligibility criteria below.
IIM Eligibilty Criteria - The Indian Institute of Management conducts Common Admission Test or CAT for admission to its 20 campuses across the country. As we all know the IIMs are the top most institutes for management studies (MBA/PGDM) in India, their admission criteria are quite stringent. Although, the academic requirement is lenient (50 per cent marks in any discipline at Graduate level), the cause of worry for IIM any aspirant are the CAT score and WAT-PI. For admission, the basic IIM eligibility criteria is 50 per cent marks in Graduation and CAT scores. However, the IIM shortlisting criteria for admission includes 95+ CAT percentile and 70 per cent and above in graduation. Candidate have to aim to score above the CAT cut-off percentile fixed for that year to be eligible for IIM admission.
IIM Eligibility Criteria for MBA/PGP Admission 2023
- The candidate must have a bachelor’s degree in any stream with at least 50 per cent aggregate or equivalent CGPA (45 per cent in case of the candidates belonging to SC/ST/PwD categories), awarded by a recognised university
- Completed professional degree (CA/CS/ICWA/Fellow of the Institute of Actuaries of India (FIAI)) with 50 per cent aggregate or equivalent CGPA (45 per cent in case of the candidates belonging to SC/ST/PwD categories)
- Graduation marks and percentage obtained by the candidate would be calculated based on the practice followed by the University/Institution from where they have obtained the degree.
- In case a candidate is awarded grades/CGPA instead of marks, the conversion of grades/CGPA to percentage of marks would be based on the procedure certified by the University/ Institution from where the candidate obtained bachelor’s degree
- In case the University/ Institution does not have any scheme for converting CGPA into equivalent marks, the same would be established by dividing the candidate’s CGPA by 10 and multiplying the resultant with 100
In case of unavailability of Graduation certificate
- Candidates who have appeared for the final year bachelor’s degree exam and awaiting result are also eligible to apply. If selected, such candidates will be allowed to join the course but they will have to submit a certificate latest by June 30, 2022 from the Principal/Registrar of his/her University/College/Institute (issued on or before June 30, 2022) assuring that they have completed all the requirements for obtaining the bachelor’s degree/equivalent qualification.
- A candidate who has not received his/her graduation results at the time of registration can produce certificates and mark sheets in original along with the photocopies at the time of admission.
- Additionally, the candidate will be required to produce a provisional certificate from the University stating that the affiliated College/Institute is authorised to issue such a certificate on behalf of the University.
- CAT score vs percentile: How to calculate?
- CAT - How Scaled CAT Score will be Calculated for Three Slots?
- CAT Normalisation Process
IIM Selection Criteria for MBA/PGP 2022
But that’s not all. IIM admission is broadly based on three parameters. This includes, CAT score, Written Ability Test (WAT) or Group Discussion (GD) and Personal Interview (PI), academic record.
Firstly, each test takers is shortlisted on the basis of his/her CAT score viz-a-viz CAT cut-offs fixed by each IIM individually for that year. Minimum CAT cutoffs of the top 5 IIMs, namely IIM Ahmedabad, IIM Bangalore, IIM Calcutta, IIM Lucknow and IIM Kozhikode is generally 90 percentile, which means, those who have scored above 90 percentile in CAT are eligible for shortlisting for PI-WAT round. On the other hand, cut-offs of newer IIMs range between 70-80 percentile.
After crossing the first hurdle of IIM eligibility, candidates have to face Group Discuss and Personal Interview. This stage is decisive for the selection panel makes up their mind about a candidate on the basis of performance in GD/PI. In the third stage, the candidates are scored on the basis of their academic performance. Here’s a break up of parameters on which candidates are selected:
Weightage for IIM Admission: MBA/PGP 2023
The table below provides an indication of the weights assigned to different parameters during final selection in IIMs. CAT scores account for almost 40 per cent while the performance at school and college level accounts for nearly 50 per cent in the final selection.
|IIM Selection Criteria||Weight|
|CAT exam score||40|
|Class 10 score||20|
|Class 12 score||10|
*The above table contains parameters and weight of IIM Bangalore for CAT 2021. Weights of each parameter varies for each IIM year on year. Check: IIM admission and selection criteria.
Scores of aspirants take the CAT every year to pursue MBA/PGDM courses from the IIMs. Although the final selection is not known until one receives the call letter, the test-takers do find ways to check their eligibility for the institutes beforehand. To help CAT test takers check IIM eligibility, Shiksha offers a tool called IIM Call Predictor. This online tool helps you assess your IIM eligibility.
How to use Shiksha IIM & Non-IIM Call Predictor?
STEP 1: Open the IIM Call Predictor in a new window
STEP 2: Click on ‘find out now’
STEP 3: Enter your personal details
STEP 4: In the next step, enter your academic and work experience details
STEP 5: Enter your section wise and overall CAT score ( if available) or expected CAT score
STEP 6: The result will be displayed indicating the IIMs you are eligible for
Download this article as PDF to read offlineDownload as PDF
Upcoming MBA Exam Dates