CAT 2020 Topper Interview: How Aruneet Dutta Secured 99.52 Percentile in First Attempt With Self-Study

Sreetama Datta
Sreetama Datta Roy
Manager Content
Updated on Jan 8, 2021 19:38 IST

Aruneet Dutta, a Chemical Engineer from Jadavpur University, Kolkata, who is presently working in an MNC at Mumbai has cracked CAT 2020 with 99.52 percentile. Read the full interview here on his preparation strategy and future plans.

Aruneet Dutta

Aruneet Dutta

Overall CAT 2020 Percentile: 99.52

VARC: 97.92

DILR: 99.64

QA: 96.96

Aruneet Dutta, a Kolkata boy decided to pursue an MBA to give a boost to his career and work in a leadership role. He started preparing for CAT during the lockdown phase amid several challenges. Despite CAT 2020 being his first attempt, Aruneet cracked the exam with 99.52 percentile without taking coaching. A movie buff and photography enthusiast, Aruneet’s success strategy was to take mock tests and practice various questions from each topic. Read this exclusive interview of Aruneet where he shares his preparation strategy in detail along with his career aspirations.

Q. Tell us something about yourself.

A: I hail from Kolkata. I am a Chemical Engineer from Jadavpur University. I have been working for the last two years in an MNC at Mumbai.

Q. When and how did you decide to pursue an MBA?

A: I decided to pursue an MBA while pursuing my job. The reason to do an MBA is to work in a managerial role and even open various avenues for me in terms of roles and domains.

Q. When and how did you start preparing for CAT?

A: I started preparing from May onwards. Since I was working full time, it was not possible for me to join a coaching institute, hence I opted for self-study. I focused my preparation during weekends Some of my friends helped me with study materials. I also took mock tests from some reputed coaching institutes. I also referred to top CAT preparation books of all three sections and completed the CAT syllabus at the earliest possible. Taking mock tests helped me in multiple ways. Not only did it test my preparation level, but also helped me develop a test-taking strategy and time management. Analysis of mocks is much more important than taking mocks.

Q. What were your strong and weak areas? How did you work towards improving those?

A: My strongest area was Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning (DILR) whereas my weak area was Quantitative Ability (QA). My performance in Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension (VARC) section was moderate. To improve my QA section, I practised as many question types as possible. Initially, since I was out of touch in this section, I was focusing more on the theory part, but later realised that there is no substitute for practice to improve the QA section. I prepared a time table for preparing each and every topic in the QA section and referred to multiple sources. I followed this routine for around one-and-a-half month. On the alternate days, I prepared DILR and VARC sections. This strategy helped me improve my scores in the Quant section.

Q. What was your exam day strategy?

A: The most important strategy that I followed was to maintain my composure. A major part of the test-taking strategy is question selection. I selected the easier questions. The DILR section was very tough this year. Still I picked the comparatively easy questions. I completed the easier set of questions first then moved on to the tougher questions. In the Quant section, I attempted as many questions as I could accurately to fetch as much marks as possible. Luckily it worked out in my favour.

Q. Apart from CAT, which other MBA entrance exams have you appeared or planning to appear for?

A: Apart from CAT I took XAT, which was scheduled on January 3. I will be appearing for the IIFT entrance exam which is scheduled on January 24.

Q. Which are your dream B-schools?

A: Like any other MBA aspirant, my dream colleges are IIM Ahmedabad, IIM Bangalore and IIM Calcutta. Apart from that, I am open to taking admission in IIM Lucknow, IIM Indore, IIM Kozhikode, XLRI Jamshedpur, NITIE Mumbai, SPJIMR Mumbai, SJMSoM IIT Bombay to name a few.

Q. How did you deal with the stress of CAT prep and exam?

A: I was preparing under quite a stressful situation. Owing to lockdown, I not only had to work for office but had to manage home on my own as well. I could not visit my hometown for over a year which added to my dismay. But to stay positive, I picked up cooking as a new hobby with the help of my mother. Apart from that, I am passionate about photography, but due to lockdown, I could not pursue it much. Apart from that, I am a movie buff. In between preparation, I watched movies. I also went outside my house for a short duration to feed stray dogs as I am an animal lover. Apart from that, I kept in touch with my friends and also discussed CAT preparation with those who were appearing for CAT along with me. All these activities helped me beat the blues of lockdown and preparation.

Q. What is your plan after completing MBA?

A: I would like to pursue a job which will give me the opportunity to serve the role of a Project Manager or to lead a team. My current work experience is in the Operations and Supply Chain sector, with an MBA, I am hoping to learn management skills and take up a leadership role.

Q. What are your suggestions for future CAT aspirants?

A: There is no fixed formula for success. You have to decide your own preparation and test-taking strategy through trial and error method. You are the best person to decide which preparation method works best for you. There must be a systematic approach and consistency and perseverance maintained throughout. Do not be disheartened if you get low scores in mock tests and give up. Find out your weakness and work towards it. Last but not the least, be positive.

CAT 2020 Toppers, Scores and their Percentiles

IIM Shortlist 2020: Check Dates and Process

How to Crack GD-PI/WAT Rounds of Top B-schools

Check CAT cut offs and predict calls from IIMs and Non-IIMs accepting CAT score for admission. Check Fees, Placement Reviews, Admission, Shortlist Criteria and Eligibility of all CAT participating colleges by clicking the link below:

Predict CAT Admission Calls
Sreetama Datta Roy
Manager Content

Sreetama has over a decade of editorial experience in the higher education beat. A wanderlust by passion, she is also an avid reader and a music lover. Among friends, she is popular for her sense of humour.

Comments