How to Prepare for XAT 2023: Tips from Toppers

Xavier Aptitude Test 2023 ( XAT )

Registrations: 10 Aug '22 - 30 Nov '22

Vipra
Vipra Shrivastava
Senior Manager - Content
Updated on Jul 26, 2022 17:40 IST

XAT preparation has to be mix of concept driven, practice intensive and time sensitive. Here are some tips from previous years' toppers on how to prepare for XAT 2023.

XAT preparation 2022

XAT preparation -  The Xavier Aptitude Test or XAT is conducted by XLRI, Jamshedpur for admission to its MBA programmes. XAT exam is considered one of the toughest management entrance exams, at par with CAT. The XAT question paper can be described as a mix of concept driven, practice intensive and environment sensitive questions. The unconventionality of the question paper, unique marking scheme and the number of applicants appearing for XAT makes it a tough exam to crack. So, every aspirant wonders 'How to prepare for XAT?'. The key to excel in XAT exam is not only studying from XAT preparation books but also thoroughly understanding the question paper and choosing questions wisely. Read this article for toppers tips on how to prepare for XAT 2023 exam.

How to Prepare for XAT 2023

XAT 2023 will be held in the first week of January. Candidates have good six months to prepare for this top MBA entrance exam. However, to start XAT preparation it is important to know the fundamentals. Get the hang of XAT syllabus and pattern. There are several topics in the XAT syllabus that you may have studied in school or college. Brush up on the fundamentals of those topics.

But first, let’s understand the exam pattern. The XAT exam pattern is prescribed XLRI Jamshedpur. In XAT 2022, Essay Writing section was reintroduced. Candidates had to write a 250-word essay on one of the two given topics. However, the score of essay is not added in the XAT exam score. It is evaluated at the time of PI shortlisting. Check the sectional break up and marking scheme of XAT below:

XAT sections

Number of questions

Marking Scheme

Decision Making

+1 for each right answer

-0.25 for each wrong answer

-0.5 marks will be deducted for more than 8 unanswered questions.

Verbal & Logical Ability

Quantitative Ability & Data Interpretation

General Knowledge

Total

Know complete XAT syllabus

XAT Exam Preparation 2023

Given below is the brief description of every section of XAT question paper for candidates to have a basic understanding of each.

• XAT 2023: Decision Making

Decision making section is the most unique section of XAT. It is practise intensive and requires business aptitude for solving ethical dilemmas, financial issues, general management scenarios, company management issues, etc.

Also read: How to Prepare for XAT Decision Making

• XAT 2023: Verbal & Logical Ability

Reading Comprehension has historically dominated the Verbal section of XAT. The major part of this section is about reasoning skills, RC and vocabulary-based questions, thus requires quick reading and ample mock-test practice to keep up with time and speed.

Also read: How to prepare for XAT Verbal & Logical Ability

• XAT 2023: Quantitative Ability & Data Interpretation

Focus areas in Quantitative Ability & Data Interpretation section of XAT syllabus are, Geometry, Number Systems, P&C, Probability and Functions. The key here is getting the concepts right, building upon it and applying them accurately.

Also read: How to prepare for XAT Quantitative Ability & Data Interpretation

• XAT 2023: General Knowledge

A lot of stress is on Current Affairs too. Reading newspaper regularly and a brushing up of Static GK will help you sail through this section of XAT 2023 exam.

How to prepare for XAT 2023: Tips from Toppers

Let’s first understand what is the difference between XAT and other MBA entrance exams?

XAT is more inclined towards application abilities than rote learning. XAT exam has a section which is not there in other management exams – Decision Making. This section brings in a measure of creativity and test the knowledge one has built over time and not by cramming. The Verbal Ability section too, has unique type of Reading Comprehension passages including a poem.

Now, let's look at key tips from previous years' XAT toppers.

Farzan Shaikh, XAT 2021, 99.95 percentile

"I started preparing on my own (thought NITians don’t need help), quants from books like Arun Sharma, Sarvesh Sharma. I solved DM questions in XAT using past year papers. I Solved 3-4 DILR sets daily. Actively read and summarised articles, books and essays from Aeon, The Economist, WSJ etc. in my own language to improve my reading comprehension." Read full interview

Suresh Jadia, XAT 2020, 99.31 percentile

"I started XAT preparation seriously by mid-August or September and realised that there wasn’t enough time to go through the entire syllabus thoroughly … so I went for the mock analysis approach which means I gave as many mock as I could and invested even more time in analysing those mock."

"I focused more on Verbal Ability and Decision Making for which I developed more of an intuitive approach where in, in RC passages and Decision Making the answers should come from one’s own inference."

Sarthak Kumar, XAT 2019, 99.95 percentile

"My strategy was to solve as many questions as possible and give as many mocks as possible. One thing I always believed was to stick to my strength which was Quantitative Ability. So I focused more on that but at the same time made sure not to neglect the decision making and verbal sections."

"To prepare for Decision Making section, my strategy was to focus on previous years’ XAT questions, I would match the answers with their answer keys and understand the rationale behind those answers."

Aditya Ganesh, XAT 2018, 99.4 percentile

"I decided to take the test quite late so I had two months to prepare, so I decided that I really have to focus on my strengths. I first strategised and covered all the concepts that were necessary for the examination. After that, I focused mainly on practicing as many questions as I could. I created a conducive environment at my home so that I could take a lot of XAT mock tests and using this I could figure out my strengths and weaknesses."

"In decision making you need to think of solutions which are practical from business sense and ethical," he added.

"On exam day strategy, Aditya said, "In a competitive exam like XAT, you need to ensure that you convert all the questions that you know. By maximising all the questions that you know, you can ensure that you can get a good percentile."

Neha Jaggannath, XAT 2017, 98.76 percentile

Verbal Ability section

"For Verbal Ability section, you need to acquaint yourself with reading of variety of articles. Secondly, you could familiarise yourself with basics of Grammar like figures of speech, root words etc. Apart from that solving questions from sample papers or mock tests will suffice."

Decision Making

"Since you don’t have any precedent to follow viz. this section, the key to crack this section of XAT exam is solve as many previous years papers and mock test series as you can, because these will help you familiarise yourself with the kind of questions that are asked which are mostly common sense based."

Quantitative Ability

"Improving your calculation speed is always the key, because it helps in the examination and also improves you mental agility in general. Other than that, keep a note of the important formulae. During the exam, it is important to know which formula to use for which question."

General Knowledge

"I brushed up on my current affairs knowledge. I made sure to keep reading newspapers and apps on a regular basis. Apart from this, there are certain key points about our nation or international world that aren’t really current affairs but topics you should be knowing. So brushing up on some static GK also helps."

Rajas Yotikar, XAT 2017, 99.98 percentile

“In the last month, there is not much left to prepare. You just have to get in the zone and keep solving the mocks. You don’t have to do anything special in the last one month. In the last month, I stopped solving questions on subjects and switched to mock tests.”

Priyadarshi Dasgupta, XAT 2017, 99.72 percentile

“For the quant section, my strategy was to read through all the questions once and figure out which questions will take a larger amount of time and which questions I could do quickly. So I would target the questions that I could do quickly first, because that would give me a chance to maximise my score and I would come to questions that required more time.”

“My strategy for Verbal Ability section was to attempt the questions as quickly as possible after one reading then re-read my questions. I found this useful as there were many details that I might have missed in my first reading. So I read them a number of times to catch these details."

"Decision Making is unique to the XAT exam and there isn’t a lot of material to prepare from, so I gave a lot of mock tests in which they would give him sectional cut offs so that he would know my strong and weak areas."

"Keeping in touch with current affairs helped me a lot in GK section as most of the questions were from current affairs."

Best Books for XAT Preparation 2023

Below listed are some of the best books for XAT exam preparation:

XAT Books

Author Name

XAT XLRI – MBA Entrance exam A/4

Chandresh Agarwal

Target XAT Simplified

Disha Experts

Jabbing the XAT with Solved Papers

RK Jha

Koncepts of Numbers in Quantitative Aptitude for XAT and Other Quantitative Exams

Gajendra Kumar

Solved Papers for XAT

Gautam Puri

Data Interpretation and Data Sufficiency

Ananta Ashisha, Arihant Expert (Author)

Also Read: Best Study Material for XAT preparation

Free VARC Questions with Answers for Practice Free DILR Questions with Answers for Practice Free Quantitative Aptitude Questions with Answers for Practice

Take XAT Mock Test by Shiksha

Shiksha has created a free online XAT mock test for aspirants to attempt and assess their preparation level. The mock test has been created on the basis of questions asked in previous years’ XAT exams. Take the 180-minute XAT mock test by Shiksha, below.

XAT Mock Test will help you to get an idea about the type of questions asked, the exam pattern and marking scheme. Click below to start the free online test now.

Free XAT Mock Test

XAT 2023 Dates

XAT 2023 Application Form

XAT 2023 Admit Card

XAT 2023 Result

XAT 2023 Cut Off

Colleges Accepting XAT score

XAT topper quotes courtesy XLRI, Jamshedpur and xatonline.

Check XAT cut offs and predict calls from XLRI and other colleges accepting XAT score for admission. Check Fees, Placement Reviews, Admission, Shortlist Criteria and Eligibility of all XAT participating colleges by clicking the link below:

Predict XAT Admission Calls

Vipra Shrivastava
Senior Manager - Content

Vipra is a binge TV watcher and a massive Breaking Bad fan. When not watching TV, she spends time in updating the list of places she wants to visit and people she wants to meet, but she is happiest in the company of... Read Full Bio

Last date to register for SNAP...

MAH MBA CET result 2022

25 Aug '22

MAH CET 2022 exam

Feb '23

CMAT 2023 registration and app...

Apr '23

CMAT 2023 exam date

23 Sep '22 -

CAT 2022 form correction proce...

CAT 2022 admit card download

Comments

K

I am preparing for XAT 2023 and I have started now. I have joined a crash course but not finding it helpful. What should I do?

Ashutosh pandey

13 hours ago

I think you should leave it as soon as possible because it not only wasting your time and hard earned money but it also hinders your mental peace and stability and for a exam like CAT and XAT you need mental peace for a long period of time that's all I can say it's all upto you now.

Yesterday

To prepare for XAT one needs to be well aware of the exam syllabus and paper pattern. The first step to acing any MBA entrance exam is to cover the basics and have enough practice of the different kinds of questions which can be asked. Once the basics are cleared, mock tests are an effective way ...To prepare for XAT one needs to be well aware of the exam syllabus and paper pattern. The first step to acing any MBA entrance exam is to cover the basics and have enough practice of the different kinds of questions which can be asked. Once the basics are cleared, mock tests are an effective way to gauge your preparation level and identify improvement areas. While the quant and verbal sections are common in CAT and other MBA entrance exams, Decision Making is a completely new section and unique to the XAT exam. To ace the XAT Decision Making section, one must follow the following steps:
Go through past year's XAT question papers and solve them. While checking the answer key, try to understand the logic and point of view of the examination setter. Practice more and more questions and give mocks. To help you practice better, we at InsideIIM have come up with a mini mock test series, which are free mock tests to help you prepare better for your MBA entrance exams. We also have XAT mock test series that along with XAT decision making mock tests, so do check them out.

I am currently in 12th standard. How do I appear in June 2023 for XAT?

NIKITA SINGH

Yesterday

X 80 Jamshedpur will close XAT 20 23 registration on November 30, 2022 the registration for XAT is ongoing in online mode from August 10 2022 onwards candidate can access and fill out the XAT application form 2023 so the official website online. In while filling NCERT form candidates have to pay...X 80 Jamshedpur will close XAT 20 23 registration on November 30, 2022 the registration for XAT is ongoing in online mode from August 10 2022 onwards candidate can access and fill out the XAT application form 2023 so the official website online. In while filling NCERT form candidates have to pay the XAT registration fees in online mode XLRI Jamshedpur will conduct XAT 23 in CBT mode on January 8 2023. If you are in 12th standard this information will be helpful for you to appear in the exam and all the best for that wish you luck.

Yesterday

XAT 2023 Registration has been started from 10th August 2022. XAT is a university-level examination, organized by XLRI (Xavier Labour Relation Institute) on the behalf of XAMI (Xavier Association of Management Institutes) every year. The exam is conducted for admission to management courses. XAT ...XAT 2023 Registration has been started from 10th August 2022. XAT is a university-level examination, organized by XLRI (Xavier Labour Relation Institute) on the behalf of XAMI (Xavier Association of Management Institutes) every year. The exam is conducted for admission to management courses. XAT is an entrance exam that offer admission to MBA/ PGDM courses. The exam scores are accepted in more than 160 colleges across the nation including 10 XAMI member institutes and XLRI. XAT 2023 Registration can be done through online mode. The application for XAT 2023 has been released from 10th August 2022. Candidates must fill the work experience (if eligible) and proceed to choose programme details. Candidates have to upload Photo, signature, 10th, 12th, graduation and work experience details. Candidates details cannot be edited once the application form is submitted after payment. After filling the details, candidates have to pay the application fee. The last date to submit the application form will be 30th November 2022. Take the printout of the application form for future reference.

If someone starting the preparation now then what should be his strategy, study plan and important sections to prepare for XAT?

XAT preparation must be done phase wise. The ideal time to start XAT exam preparation is about nine months, but those who start preparation late, can also crack it if they follow a focused study plan. The last three months before XAT exam are crucial for both types of students. Those who have bee...XAT preparation must be done phase wise. The ideal time to start XAT exam preparation is about nine months, but those who start preparation late, can also crack it if they follow a focused study plan. The last three months before XAT exam are crucial for both types of students. Those who have been studying from much before, must complete the syllabus three months before XAT 2023 and dedicate the last three months to practice and revision. Those who start XAT preparation three months before the exam, must study only the important topics and solve a large number of sample questions of different variety. Such students need to have a practice-based approach to XAT preparation.

y

XAT is one of the toughest entrance exams in the country and thus a well-organized plan for preparation is essential to crack XAT 2023 exam. Starting XAT exam preparation in July/ August is highly recommended to be able to cover the syllabus by November and save ample time for revision and practi...XAT is one of the toughest entrance exams in the country and thus a well-organized plan for preparation is essential to crack XAT 2023 exam. Starting XAT exam preparation in July/ August is highly recommended to be able to cover the syllabus by November and save ample time for revision and practicing XAT mock tests.

K

I am preparing for XAT exam. What is the admission process for MBA in Xavier College?

K

Kumari Happy

First of all start focusing on your English . Cz for XAT exam high English communication is required. Voccubalary should be good. Focus, on your quantitative ability and data interpretation.

p

How to cover up everything in next 3 months if there is already months of gap in the preparation of XAT?

To commence any preparation, it is better to be aware of the pattern of paper in order to plan things. As per the XAT 2023 exam pattern, candidates will have to give the test in computer-based mode. Details related to time duration, the number of sections, marking scheme, sectional time limit are...To commence any preparation, it is better to be aware of the pattern of paper in order to plan things. As per the XAT 2023 exam pattern, candidates will have to give the test in computer-based mode. Details related to time duration, the number of sections, marking scheme, sectional time limit are mentioned under the exam pattern of XAT 2023. The question paper of XAT 2023 will have four sections namely Verbal & Logical Ability, Decision Making, Quantitative Ability & Data Interpretation, and last but not least General Knowledge. Before following and accepting any preparation strategy candidates must have a hard copy of XAT syllabus 2023 in order to know the topics covered under each section. Candidates may get perplexed with regard to the syllabus as XLRI Jamshedpur does not provide any official syllabus of XAT. Thus, making a preparation strategy could get complex when you do not know how to start. Make Base for Each Section - As we know the XAT 2023 paper will be divided into five sections, candidates should make a plan that covers all five sections. The base level for all sections must be strong to have a competitive edge over other candidates who start their preparation late and do not have base knowledge. For Decision Making Section
Quick Thinking and clarity of thoughts are important. Two hours on this section should be invested on a daily basis
Practice questions related to situational decision making, analytical reasoning are asked in this section
For Quantitative Ability & Data Interpretation
Try to bring clarity in basic mathematics
Questions from percentage, profit loss, time distance, permutation and combination, polynomials are likely to be asked in this section
For General Knowledge
This section will have the least number of questions, yet plays a major role
Candidates must read newspapers, journals related to geography, invention, dates, Current Affairs on a daily basis
For Verbal & Logical Ability
Analogy-based questions, correction of sentences, RCs are a major part of this section hence emphasis while preparation should be there
In the initial 3 months, have at least 2 hours daily for each section with a break time of 15-30 minutes.

B

When will be the XAT going to held?

Sumit naroliya

The dates are still tentative and according to my research and the available data it may be come through the end of the September month and for this you must be stay tuned for further information and notice for the same.

Are IIMs considering XAT exam score card?

Vinay kr Pandey

Scholar-Level 16

2 months ago

Dear aspirant, Glad to meet you. XAT is not accepted by Iims. Iims conduct their own exam which is CAT which will be conducted by IIM Kozhikode this year. XAT is conducted by XLRI and its score is accepted in all the Jesuit colleges in India as well as some other colleges likeIMT GhaziabadSPJIMRK...Dear aspirant, Glad to meet you. XAT is not accepted by Iims. Iims conduct their own exam which is CAT which will be conducted by IIM Kozhikode this year. XAT is conducted by XLRI and its score is accepted in all the Jesuit colleges in India as well as some other colleges like
IMT Ghaziabad
SPJIMR
KJ Somaiya
LIBA
GIM
XISS
XIME
XIMB and many other smaller colleges. XAT stands for Xavier Aptitude Test. XAT is a national-level management entrance exam conducted by XLRI, Jamshedpur to provide admission to MBA/ PGDM courses. XLRI has been conducting XAT exam for 70+ years on behalf of XAMI. XAT exam is one of the most sought-after by MBA aspirants as XAT score is accepted in more than 700 colleges across the country including XLRI, 95 XAT Associates, and the 12 XAMI member institutes. Hope it helps.

s

Please tell about XAT exam and its colleges.

Vinay kr Pandey

Scholar-Level 16

2 months ago

Dear aspirant, Glad to meet you. XAT stands for Xavier Aptitude Test. XAT is a national-level management entrance exam conducted by XLRI, Jamshedpur to provide admission to MBA/ PGDM courses. XLRI has been conducting XAT exam for 70+ years on behalf of XAMI. XAT exam is one of the most sought-aft...Dear aspirant, Glad to meet you. XAT stands for Xavier Aptitude Test. XAT is a national-level management entrance exam conducted by XLRI, Jamshedpur to provide admission to MBA/ PGDM courses. XLRI has been conducting XAT exam for 70+ years on behalf of XAMI. XAT exam is one of the most sought-after by MBA aspirants as XAT score is accepted in more than 700 colleges across the country including XLRI, 95 XAT Associates, and the 12 XAMI member institutes. XAT 2023 exam is expected to be held on the first Sunday of January 2023, I. e. January 1, 2023. XAT exam is conducted by XLRI Jamshedpur every year for admission to MBA/ PGDM courses. XAT 2023 Registration will begin with the release of the official notification tentatively in August 2022. To appear for XAT 2023, candidates must have a 3 year Bachelors degree in any discipline from a recognised university. Also, there is no upper age limit to take XAT exam. Check XAT Eligibility Criteria
Foreign candidates are also eligible to apply for XLRI admissions based on their GMAT scores. XAT 2023 exam will have 101 questions: 100 MCQs from 4 sections- Decision making (21), Verbal & Logical Ability (26), Quantitative Ability & Data Interpretation (28), General Knowledge (25), and 1 subjective-type question in the essay writing section. The duration of the exam will be 190 minutes. Hope it helps.

M

Manikanta chari k v

2 months ago

XAT Participating Institutes 2023: The XAT score is accepted by about more than 800 B-schools in India for admission. Students who want to pursue management studies XAT 2023 participating institutes such as XLRI, XIMB and more must appear for the Xavier Aptitude Test ( XAT ). XAT exam 2023 will b...XAT Participating Institutes 2023: The XAT score is accepted by about more than 800 B-schools in India for admission. Students who want to pursue management studies XAT 2023 participating institutes such as XLRI, XIMB and more must appear for the Xavier Aptitude Test ( XAT ). XAT exam 2023 will be held in first week of January. XLRI, Jamshedpur dates will announced at the end of the week of July. In XAT 2022 essay writing was reintroduced. However, the score of Essay writing was not taken into consideration. Shortlisting was done through PI round. Colleges accepting XAT exams are XLRI, Jamshedpur, XUB, IMT, Ghaziabad, IMI, New Delhi, Great lakes, Chennai and many other colleges too.

How can I prepare well for XAT?

k

kirti Gupta

2 months ago

1. XAT 2023 coaching as in keeping with exam pattern Your XAT 2023 preparation won't take off, unless you are aware what are the key additives and sections in XAT examination, what are the topics on which questions are requested in XAT examination. It's miles like beating about the bush as you wi...1. XAT 2023 coaching as in keeping with exam pattern
Your XAT 2023 preparation won't take off, unless you are aware what are the key additives and sections in XAT examination, what are the topics on which questions are requested in XAT examination. It's miles like beating about the bush as you will not be able to realize a way to begin XAT practise on line or offline nor it is going to be feasible to accumulate the fine XAT MBA guidance cloth.
2. XAT guidance fabric
Your practise material will include XAT examine material, practise books and cloth from numerous other assets like training centres, on-line material, XAT Mocks taken with the aid of you, among others.
3. Scan the XAT exam sample & Syllabus.
4. Try some XAT Mock tests/preceding test papers to discern out your sturdy and weak subjects.
5. Initially ensure to dedicate at the least 2-3 hours a day for XAT guidance. Hope this helps!
Good Luck!

Vinty Tanwar

2 months ago

Hi Samuel,
Here is the reference link for your guidance.

1043 Institutes accepting XAT

PGDM in Human Resource Management

3.9

3.9
MBA in Agriculture and Food Business
Post Graduate Diploma in Management (PGDM)

3.8