Rajat Sen, UGC NET 2019 qualified for Assistant Professor wants to be a researcher

University Grants Commission National Eligibility Test 2022 ( UGC NET )

Shikha
Shikha Anand
Manager - Content
Updated on May 20, 2020 15:13 IST

Check out the UGC NET preparation strategy and other tips by Rajat Sen, UGC NET 2019 qualifier below.

UGC NET 2019 topper interview

Rajat Sen qualified UGC NET 2019 exam for Assistant Professor in Mass Communication & Journalism subject. He scored total 178 out of 300 marks. His paper-wise marks in the exam include 66 in paper-I and 112 in paper-II.

Interestingly, Rajat completed his bachelor’s degree in Science with a Physics major from Jagannath Barooah College, Jorhat, Assam. However, thereafter, he changed his subject and completed his post-graduation in Mass Communication from Assam Central University, Silchar. He was also awarded Gold Medal for the same. Currently, Rajat is pursuing Doctorate of Philosophy (PhD) in Mass Communication & Journalism at Tezpur Central University, Assam.

A very sincere and hard-working student, Rajat belongs to a lower middle class income family. His father is a government employee and mother is a homemaker. He belongs to the unreserved category and regarding the same he feels, “You can imagine the extra effort that I have had to put in during every competitive exam I sat for. UGC NET was no exception. I feel that is unfair to me because unlike popular discourse, I have had no special privileges or access to better education than that of my peers. Still I have to score more, pay more for my education. Well that is the way it is. I just have to put my head down and keep moving on. There are no two ways about it.”

In his free time, Rajat likes singing, playing badminton and watching Netflix and motorsports on TV. Shiksha got talking to Rajat to know his UGC NET preparation strategy, future plans and more. Go through the complete interview below.

Q. Congratulations! Did you expect to qualify UGC NET for Assistant Professor?

A.

To be honest, I did not think much about it while writing the exam. However, after tallying my response sheet with the UGC NET answer key, I was confident of clearing the exam for Assistant Professor at least, if not JRF (going by the trend of cutoffs of my paper of the previous years). The only disappointing part is that had I successfully attempted three to four correct questions more, I would have qualified for JRF as well in my very first attempt. However, all hope is not lost. I am planning to sit for the next NTA UGC NET exam to fare better.

Q. Could you tell us your preparation strategy that helped you crack UGC NET exam?

A.

Clearing the exam while pursuing master’s course is the best approach. In this way, you are able to keep abreast with all the theoretical concepts of your own subjects. Revision, practice and persistence is the key. Nevertheless, having a decent score in paper-I makes the job much easier. The more you score in paper-I the more chances you have of clearing NET/NET-JRF. The second paper is considered more critical and comprehensive of the two.

Q. Did you take any coaching for this exam?

A.

No, I did not. I think self-study is enough for this exam. One can take coaching if he/she wants to but the bulk of the syllabus has to be covered by the aspirant himself/herself. The coaching can only guide you (or in some cases misguide you).

Q. What study plan did you follow for the exam?

A.

I did not have a dedicated study schedule for myself. A couple of hours each day twice or thrice a week was sufficient for me. However, for more efficient results I would advise you to practice every day (even if it is for just one hour). This way you can build up your consistency and once the exam approaches you can find yourself in a comfortable position.

Q. Which books did you read to prepare for the exam?

A.

I prepared for paper-I from a book by KVS Madan. However, that itself is not enough. Reading newspapers and keeping yourself updated with the current affairs of all the units come in handy.

For paper-II (Mass Communication and Journalism), I did not follow a particular book. UGC NET previous years’ question papers, mock tests and the notes made during my master’s helped me a lot.

Q. How did you deal with your strengths and weaknesses while preparing for the exam?

A.

Personally, I feel that you cannot attempt to be a jack-of-all-trades if you are sitting for any competitive exam. All sections carry equal weightage so if you are weak in one section you can very well make it up in the next sections. Some people fear anything to do with numbers but the numerical aptitude, data Interpretation sections etc. are generally easy and scoring if you put a little effort into them.

Q. What as per you are the mistakes one should avoid while preparing for the exam?

A.

During the examination, with the new UGC NET exam pattern it is not compulsory to finish paper-I within an hour. Paper-II does not take the entire two hours. Therefore, the ability to switch between the two sections during any stage of the exam is definitely a bonus for the students. Choose whichever questions you want to do within those three hours. Start with the easy sections, that is, the ones that you are most comfortable with, first.

Q. Any advice to manage time while giving the exam?

A.

Don’t panic under any circumstances and if you are appearing for such kind of CBT (computer-based test) for the first time, I would advise you to go to the official website of NTA (National Testing Agency) to make yourself familiar with the whole examination process. While answering, people are prone to making mistakes. It is a bit challenging, confusing and daunting initially but with enough practice, you are sure to succeed. Different colour codes for different sets of responses (some recorded and saved, some just left marked for review and unsaved etc.) make the job even more complicated. Also, never look at the countdown timer unless necessary. That also induces panic.

Q. Which as per you was the most difficult part of the UGC NET exam?

A.

Every year presents a new set of challenges. Sometimes the numerical aptitude section is tough, sometimes the comprehension section and sometimes the Assertion/Reasoning section etc. You can never predict these things. I did not find paper-I especially tough (because of my science background). Students belonging to other streams can also become adept with a little bit of practice. In my case, I found paper-II comparatively tougher.

Q. Any things that students should keep in mind to perform well on the day of the exam?

A.

Try not to learn new things, concepts just before you sit for the exam or even on the previous night for that matter. This can mess with what you already know. It is advisable to revise whatever you have learnt over the course of the few months that you had been preparing for the exam.

Q. Was clearing UGC NET always your first preference?

A.

As soon as I had decided that I wanted to become a researcher and thereafter move into academia, I had set a goal in my mind that I need to clear UGC NET as this is a benchmark for most PhD entrance examinations in various universities across the country.

Q. Any tips for students who are planning to take the exam next year?

A.

Start your preparations early. Be systematic, continuously motivated and focused.

Q. What are your future plans?

A.

I am planning to go into academia and become a professor someday after I am done with my doctoral degree. Right now, the main goal is to come up with a good doctoral thesis at the end of these four to five years.

Shikha Anand
Manager - Content

With a huge appetite for scrumptious food, Shikha is a big foodie and enjoys watching movies the most. Shopping is not really her cup of tea but her favourite pastime is spending quality time with friends and family... Read Full Bio

Download Important Dates for Sarkari Exams Exams

CSIR NET 2022 Cut Off

CSIR UGC NET Final Answer Key

SSC CGL 2022 Tier-I Exam Dates

SSC CGL 2022 Admit Card Dates

SSC JE 2022 Paper 1 Exam Date

Last Date to Pay Fee Online an...

HPTET Exam Date

Application Correction

15 Jan '23 -

Admit Card

Exam Date

KTET Admit Card

KTET Exam

Comments

d

Are candidates who have qualified for the UGC NET JRF and are applying for the Ph.D. program exempted from the AILET?

j

jasveer singh

19 hours ago

Hi deepika No, according to NLU, Delhi, which conducts the AILET exam, the candidates who have qualified for the UGC NET JRF are not exempted from the AILET. Any such NET-qualified candidate needs to appear in the AILET entrance exam at NLU, Delhi, to do a Ph.D. at NLU. This exam is conducted onc...Hi deepika
No, according to NLU, Delhi, which conducts the AILET exam, the candidates who have qualified for the UGC NET JRF are not exempted from the AILET. Any such NET-qualified candidate needs to appear in the AILET entrance exam at NLU, Delhi, to do a Ph.D. at NLU. This exam is conducted once a year at the national level by the NLU, Delhi. The duration of the exam is 1 hour and 30 minutes and is held in offline mode. To be admitted to the Ph.D. programme at NLU, Delhi, you must have completed an LL. M. or an equivalent law degree with 55% marks. After clearing AILET. You can get NLU-D for a Ph.D. in law. And if it's help you like it.

Deeksha Dixit

No, according to NLU, Delhi, which conducts the AILET exam, the candidates who have qualified for the UGC NET JRF are not exempted from the AILET. Any such NET-qualified candidate needs to appear in the AILET entrance exam at NLU, Delhi, to do a Ph.D. at NLU. This exam is conducted once a year at...No, according to NLU, Delhi, which conducts the AILET exam, the candidates who have qualified for the UGC NET JRF are not exempted from the AILET. Any such NET-qualified candidate needs to appear in the AILET entrance exam at NLU, Delhi, to do a Ph.D. at NLU. This exam is conducted once a year at the national level by the NLU, Delhi. The duration of the exam is 1 hour and 30 minutes and is held in offline mode. To be admitted to the Ph.D. programme at NLU, Delhi, you must have completed an LL. M. or an equivalent law degree with 55% marks. After clearing AILET. You can get NLU-D for a Ph.D. in law.

What is difference between UGC NET and CSIR NET?

d

deepika maurya

The difference between UGC NET and CSIR NET is1- UGC NET exam is conducted for Adult Education, Continuing Education, Andragogy, Non-Formal Education, Forensic Science, Law, Mass Communication and Journalism, Philosophy, Sanskrit, Tourism, Administration, and Management. Eligibility Criteria for ...The difference between UGC NET and CSIR NET is
1- UGC NET exam is conducted for Adult Education, Continuing Education, Andragogy, Non-Formal Education, Forensic Science, Law, Mass Communication and Journalism, Philosophy, Sanskrit, Tourism, Administration, and Management. Eligibility Criteria for UGC NET:
Master's Degree or equivalent with minimum 55 percent marks for open category and 50 percent for SC, ST, PwD, and Transgender applicants. Age Limit: 31 years for JRF (Junior Research Fellowship). There is no age limit for Assistant Professorship. Nationality: Indian
Subject Eligibility: Subject of your Post-Graduation.
2- The CSIR NET examination is conducted only for the Science stream students, and the Indian Council of Agricultural Research-National Eligibility Test is held for the students belonging to the Agriculture Field. For all other subjects or streams, the students need to appear for the UGC NET examination. CSIR NET Educational Qualification:
M.Sc, BE/B.Tech, Integrated BSMS BS-4 Years, B.Pharma MBBS or an Equivalent Degree. For OBC and General candidates, 55 percent marks are needed, and for SC, ST, and PWD candidates, a minimum of 50 percent marks are needed. I hope this will help you.

Pranmoi Mazumdar

UGC NET exam is conducted in almost all subjects of every stream and also for humanities and other professional courses. Where in CSIR NET exam is conducted only for science stream subject like Chemistry, Physics, Science, mathematical Science, chemical Science and life Science.

Which is more suitable for agriculture students, the CSIR NET or the UGC NET?

d

deepika maurya

The CSIR NET examination is conducted only for the Science stream students, and the ICAR (Indian Council of Agricultural Research) NET is held for the students belonging to the Agriculture Field. For all other subjects or streams, the students need to appear for the UGC NET examination. CSIR NET ...The CSIR NET examination is conducted only for the Science stream students, and the ICAR (Indian Council of Agricultural Research) NET is held for the students belonging to the Agriculture Field. For all other subjects or streams, the students need to appear for the UGC NET examination. CSIR NET Educational Qualification:
M.Sc, BE/B.Tech, Integrated BSMS BS-4 Years, B.Pharma MBBS or an Equivalent Degree. For OBC and General candidates, 55 percent marks are needed, and for SC, ST, and PWD candidates, a minimum of 50 percent marks are needed. UGC NET exam is conducted for Adult Education, Continuing Education, Andragogy, Non-Formal Education, Forensic Science, Law, Mass Communication and Journalism, Philosophy, Sanskrit, Tourism, Administration, and Management. UGC NET Eligibility Criteria:
Master's Degree or equivalent with minimum 55 percent marks (50 percent for SC, ST, PwD, and Transgender applicants)
Age Limit: 31 years for JRF (Junior Research Fellowship). There is no age limit for Assistant Professorship. Number of attempts: the limit on attempts for JRF and Andhra Pradesh
Nationality: Indian
Subject Eligibility: Subject of your Post-Graduation.

Pranmoi Mazumdar

UGC NET will be more suitable for agriculture students rather then CSIR NET because the UGC NET is held for the students belonging to the agricultural field while the CSIR NET examination is conducted only for Science student.

I have done my graduation with 65 % marks. Can I apply for UGC NET in history while pursuing M.A. In history?

Durgesh .

Yes, you are eligible. But make sure you should have minimum 55% aggregate marks (for General category) or 50% aggregate marks (for OBC/SC/ST/PwD category). In UGC NET exam you can appear only on the basis of your post graduation courses. So, you can apply in History for UGC NET Exam.

V

How to convert percentile into percentage? What is the formula for that?

Pushyami Reddy

The formula is calculating the quotient between the number of values below your score and the number of all the values in your data set. Multiply the result by 100 to get a percentage.

I've done my M.A. In English Language Teaching. In which subject am I eligible to apply in UGC NET?

Rajat Pareek

A candidate can appear in NET Exam only in the subject they have done post graduation. In your case you are eligible for only NET in History. So, if you want to appear for NET exam then according to eligibility you need to start your preparation in History.

What is JRF after the UGC NET exam?

Deeksha Dixit

A junior research fellowship is referred to as a JRF. After qualifying for JRF through the UCG NET, you become entitled to a monthly research stipend of Rs. 31,000;To get this stipend, you will have to pass the JRF cutoff in the UCG NET exam. You can apply for this exam after completing your post...A junior research fellowship is referred to as a JRF. After qualifying for JRF through the UCG NET, you become entitled to a monthly research stipend of Rs. 31,000;
To get this stipend, you will have to pass the JRF cutoff in the UCG NET exam. You can apply for this exam after completing your postgraduate studies in any subject. With JRF, you can enroll for a Ph.D. at top universities such as BHU. This Ph.D. will help you become a professor. However, you can pursue a Ph.D. without a JRF, but this stipend will help you cover the research costs. Also, it acts as an added advantage to get into a prestigious university under a reputed guide.

Surbhi Sahu

JRF is the abbreviated form of Junior Research Fellowship. It is a 2 years research programme awarded to UGC NET JRF qualified candidates. It is a scholarship programme through which students can pursue Ph.D. in their respective subjects. Candidates with Bachelor's degree, whether Science, engine...JRF is the abbreviated form of Junior Research Fellowship. It is a 2 years research programme awarded to UGC NET JRF qualified candidates. It is a scholarship programme through which students can pursue Ph.D. in their respective subjects. Candidates with Bachelor's degree, whether Science, engineering or any other discipline, will be eligible for fellowship only after getting registered/enrolled for PhD/integrated Ph.D. programme within the validity period of two years. SRF stands for Senior Research Fellowship which is awarded after the promotion from JRF.

V

I have scored 63.766 marks in UGC NET 2022. What is my %age of marks out of 300?

Priyanka Kukreja

Your percentage is 21.25. according to your marks 63.766 marks out of 300.

s

I have 77.9 percentile in UGC NET exam. How many marks do I have?

Nagarjuna Y A

That's great congratulations for your result and all the best for your future. To be honest its not a bad performance its really good. There are people who got lower than you so go forward and achieve your dreams mate.

My daughter has scored 96/100 marks in law and 50/50 in general paper. Is she eligible for JRF?

Prajith pp

Yes, your daughter is eligible for JRF.