CAT 2021 Topper Interview: Know How Chirag Gupta Scored 100 Percentile

Saumya
Saumya Jain
Assistant Manager- Content
Updated on Jan 6, 2022 20:27 IST

CAT 2021 topper, Chirag Gupta, shared his CAT success mantra of securing 100 percentile. Read the article below to know more.

Chirag Gupta, a BS-MS student of the Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Pune, has secured 100 percentile in CAT 2021 in his first CAT attempt. He loves playing chess and likes watching anime shows and movies. He hails from the pink city of India, Jaipur. Chirag shared his CAT success journey with Shiksha. Read the article below to know more.

CAT 2021 score

Overall: 100 Percentile

Sectional:

VARC: 100 percentile

DILR: 99.99 percentile

Quant - 99.99 percentile

Q: Congratulations! Are you satisfied with your CAT result? How much score were you expecting?

A: I'm very satisfied with my CAT result. Before CAT, I was expecting anything around 130-140 marks but after CAT I was expecting 160. 181 has been a very pleasant surprise for me.

Q: Was this your first CAT attempt?

A: Yes, this was my first cat attempt.

Q: When did you start preparing for the CAT exam? What was your overall prep strategy?

A: I started preparing in March 2021. I focused mainly on giving mock tests and analysing them. I used to work on my weaknesses by watching various CAT preparation YouTube videos on various topics.

Q: Please share with us your section-wise strategy.

A: For VARC, I read a lot in general. You can read anything you like. I read fiction mainly and even that helped me a lot.

For DILR, I focused on identifying certain types of sets and getting familiarised with them. I applied this strategy in the mock test and read every set in first five mins. I began the section by doing the easiest DI set/s, then attempted the easier sets of the LR section. It will ensure that you will always clear the sectional cutoffs.

For the Quant section, I focused on getting my basics right at the beginning of the preparations. I focused on doing only easy questions first, and later attempted the harder ones.

Q: Which books did you refer to for CAT preparation?

A: I didn't study from any books for CAT. I attempted various mock test series during my preparation.

Q: Did you join any coaching institute? How does the coaching institute help in CAT preparation?

A: No, I did not join any coaching institute. I just took mock test series from IMS and TIME. I'm not too sure about how coaching helps in CAT preparation, but attempting a good number of mock tests definitely helps in the CAT preparations.

Q: How many mock tests did you attempt and how important is a mock test series?

A: I took about 50-60 CAT mock tests, as I think that it is probably the most important aspect of CAT preparation.

Q: What was your exam day strategy?

A: My exam day strategy was just to stay calm and not think too much about the results.

Q: Any tips for future CAT aspirants?

A: Be honest with yourselves during the preparation. It is important for you to not overestimate as well as underestimate your understanding of the concepts.

Check CAT cut offs and predict calls from IIMs and Non-IIMs accepting CAT score for admission. Check Fees, Placement Reviews, Admission, Shortlist Criteria and Eligibility of all CAT participating colleges by clicking the link below:

Predict CAT Admission Calls

Check Cut offs of top MBA entrance exams and predict calls from IIMs and other Top MBA Colleges. Check Fees, Placement Reviews, Admission, Shortlist Criteria and eligibility of all MBA Colleges by clicking the link below:

Predict IIM & Non IIM Calls

Q: Which IIMs /Institutes are you targeting?

A: I am targeting IIM AhmedabadIIM Bangalore and IIM Calcutta.

Saumya Jain
Assistant Manager- Content

With over 5 years of editorial experience, Saumya has been a writer at Shiksha for over three years. With a graduation degree in English literature from Delhi University, she loves to write and read non-fictional no... Read Full Bio

Comments