CAT 2021 topper- “Smart work rather than hard work”-Vinayak Prabhu, 99.82 percentiler

Shruti
Shruti Garg
Senior Executive
Updated on Jan 5, 2022 17:32 IST

Read the CAT 2021 topper interview of Vinayak Prabhu who bagged 99+ percentile. Vinayak in his interview with Shiksha provides detailed preparation strategy and important tips for future aspirants.

CAT 2021 Topper- Vinayak Prabhu

Vinayak Prabhu scored 99.82 percentile in CAT 2021 exam. Vinayak in his interview with Shiksha provides a detailed section-wise preparation strategy. Further, like any other CAT 2021 topper, he stresses the importance of a mock test which helps one to analyse their strengths and weaknesses. Vinayak took coaching for CAT exam preparation. He believes that coaching institutes provide structured preparation strategies and help in eliminating the topics which are not necessary for preparation. In this article know-how, Vinayak manages to score 99+ percentile in the CAT exam.

CAT 2021 score- 117.82

Overall: 99.82

Sectional (score-percentile): 42.48-98.46 / 35.15-99.29 / 40.18-99.51

Q: Congratulations! Are you satisfied with your CAT result? How much score were you expecting?

A. Thank you so much. I am really satisfied and surprised with my score. I had never crossed 98%ile even in my mocks and my average percentile was around 94. So, I was expecting a maximum of 96 percentile.

Q: Was this your first CAT attempt?

A. No. I gave cat 2020 just to know what “CAT” is.

Q: When did you start preparing for CAT exam? What was your overall prep strategy?

A. Around April-May.

• Stay honest with yourself, always be hungry for more knowledge, make strategies before you take mocks, and practice on how to choose your questions in them.

• I also maintained an excel sheet listing down the topics in quants and LRDI.

• Revise all quant formulas once in 15-20 days.

• Try to use new words you have learned while making conversations.

• Joined telegram groups. You always find great people there who share strategies, doubts, solutions, and various tips.

Q: Please share with us your section-wise strategy.

A. VARC: RCs first; read 1st para, if you feel comfortable continue else skip. There are also some questions in RC I always skipped (these usually require a deep understanding of the passage). For VA, I used to spend 10 seconds on the question. I solve them if I can at least get a general idea of what it was about. I always gave 25 minutes for RCs and 15 minutes for VA.

LRDI: Choose the easiest question first (when you practice a lot, you get to know which questions are easier). LRDI questions are not random, there are several concepts involved in all LRDI questions. So, make a note of that and once you identify the concept in a question, it’s a matter of 5 minutes. Improve calculation skills and keep a really open mind.

QA: I categorize all questions in an exam into 3. Easy, moderate, and difficult. Easy questions are those which you are familiar with and are confident that you can answer in less than a minute and I solve them then and there. Moderate are those questions that are long, usually Arithmetic. I mark them for review. Easy and moderate makeup almost 90-100% of the questions. I usually don’t get time for difficult ones and if I get, I only attend those difficult questions which are of TITA type.

Q: Which books did you refer to for CAT preparation?

A. I didn’t refer to any books.

Q: Did you join any coaching institute? How does coaching institute help in CAT preparation?

A. Yes. Coaching institutes are really important for structured and systematic preparation. Teachers help you understand areas for you to improve. They also make sure that you learn what is required, for example, I used to find people trying to solve calculus and 3d-geometry questions, which is really unnecessary for MBA exams. If not a year-long course, joining crash courses will help to ensure that you have completed all the topics. They also help you in analyzing mocks and suggest various strategies for you to choose if you can’t form one.

Q: How many mock tests did you attempt and how important is a mock test series?

A. I gave 10-12 mocks. Mocks are perhaps the most important part of CAT preparation. It’s like a mirror and reflects the overall preparation and efficacy of your strategy. I started to give mocks from November.

This is how I structured my mocks:

First, 3 gave me a clear idea of which topics to improve. The next 5-6, helped me to optimize my strategy and time management. I gave the rest as if I were giving the actual exam and helped me to form a mindset for the D-Day.

Q: What was your exam day strategy?

A. I was confident with my prep. Stood away from all the negativity at least 1 week before CAT. Made sure I had all the documents 2 days before CAT and wore comfortable clothes. I tried to be relaxed the day before CAT. Made sure not to panic if I was not able to solve a question (this is why mocks are important). Didn’t think about what would happen if I can’t crack CAT. I made sure that I was familiar with the exam window, like being sure to CLICK - SAVE AND NEXT after every question. I was calm and focused so that I don’t skip any easy questions. I didn’t even know how those 2 hours went by.

Q: Any tips for future CAT aspirants?

A. Following are the tips for CAT aspirants based on my experience:

• Never hesitate to ask for help.

• Be active in telegram groups.

• Follow various YouTube channels.

• Never give up and don’t be too hard on yourself.

• Take care of your health.

• Smart work rather than hard work really

ALL THE BEST TO ALL OF YOU.

Q: Which IIMs /Institutes are you targeting?

A. I am targeting the following top B-schools:

Q: Tell us something about your educational background, family, hobbies, profession.

A. I am a general candidate and was an average student. I did my 10th in 2015 and secured 10 CGPA (CBSE). I chose the Science stream, completed my 12th in 2017, and secured 88.8%(CBSE). Then, I completed my engineering in CSE Data Analytics from VIT AP university with an 8.8 CGPA in 2021. I don’t have any work experience.

My family has 4 members. My father is a businessman, my mother a homemaker and I have a younger sister.

Shruti Garg
Senior Executive

Shruti is a graduate in Education and Literature. She is a passionate writer. As her name suggests she is a good listener, a binge-watcher and a great foodie. She loves playing badminton and doing meditation in her ... Read Full Bio

Last date to register for SNAP...

Sep '22

Dec '22

IIFT 2023 exam

Comments

Yesterday

Here are the colleges you can get with 75 percentile:Indian Institute of Forest Management, Bhopal78+ PercentileIndian School of Mines, Dhanbad75 PercentileAmrita School of Business, Coimbatore75 PercentileJaipuria Institute of Management, Lucknow & Jaipur75 PercentileBirla Institute of Techn...Here are the colleges you can get with 75 percentile:
Indian Institute of Forest Management, Bhopal
IBS Business School, Hyderabad
National Institute of Technology, Warangal
BIMTECH, Greater Noida
SOIL Gurgaon - SOIL Institute of Management
70 Percentile (Minimum)

y

I'm under waiting list at a rank of 64 CS and 14 (IT) in ETH category in CUSAT CAT 2022. Is there a chance to get admission with these?

Shubham Chakravarty

Authorities have prepared the rank list of CUSAT CAT 2022 on the basis of the percentile index. Percentile index is calculated by using the given formula- [ (n+1-p)/n)]x S x 100Here, n denotes the number of candidates appearing for the exam in a particular subject, p denotes the position accordin...Authorities have prepared the rank list of CUSAT CAT 2022 on the basis of the percentile index. Percentile index is calculated by using the given formula- [ (n+1-p)/n)]x S x 100
Here, n denotes the number of candidates appearing for the exam in a particular subject, p denotes the position according to the CUSAT CAT score and S denotes the actual score of the candidate. Once the percentile index is calculated, the authorities will integrate the Percentile Indices to calculate the relative position of a candidate in the CUSAT CAT rank list 2022 for a particular engineering programme.

I have scored 71% in 10th,64% in 12th and in UG, 70%. I belong to SC category. Can I get into FMS or not with 90 %ile in CAT?

Y

Yash Jain

With 90 percentile in CAT you can get admission in FMS. For SC category the criteria of FMS is between 50 to 80 percentile.

Sep '22: IRMASAT 2023 Application Process