MAT 2019 Topper Interview: V Varun shares how he scored 99.99 percentile in his first attempt

Management Aptitude Test 2022 ( MAT )

Registrations: 18 Oct '22 - 5 Dec '22

Updated on Nov 15, 2019 11:40 IST

Underlining the need to practise mock tests, Varun said, this will help aspirants manage their time better. Read on to know his strategy to ace MAT and other MBA exam

Chennai’s V.Varun scored a phenomenal 99.99 percentile in September MAT exam. A final year computer science student from Vellore Institute of Technology, the 22-year-old has his eyes set on, what he calls, the holy trinity i.e. IIM A, B or C (Ahmedabad, Bangalore and Calcutta). Varun believes sincerity is the major trait for cracking any competitive exam. Speaking with Shiksha.com, the MAT topper shared in detail how he prepared for the coveted exam.

Q: Are you satisfied with your MAT result? How much score were you expecting?

A:  Yes, I am pretty satisfied with my MAT result. It certainly exceeded my expectations. Honestly, I didn’t expect that I will score this high.

Q: Was this your first MAT attempt?

A: Yes, this was my first attempt.

Q: When did you start preparing for MAT exam? What was your overall prep strategy?

A: I have been preparing for MBA entrance exams for past one year and I had decided to take MAT exam as well because it is an all Indian level exam and a lot of good management colleges accept its score. I have given a lot of mock tests and I was scoring pretty well in it. This gave me a certain confidence that I can do well in the exam.

Also Read: MAT Preparation Tips 2019

Q: Please, share with us your section-wise strategy?

A: I am pretty comfortable with English as compared to other subjects. I consider it my strength. For Quant, I must say, when I was preparing for engineering selection exams, I had worked a lot on my mathematics fundamentals and I just needed to brush it up. My LR & DI part is not as great as the rest of the two sections. Even during mock tests, I had this pre-conceived notion that it would not do it well but during the MAT exam, I gave the paper very calmly without thinking about the consequences.

Q: Which books did you refer to for MAT preparation?

A: For English, I did not refer to any study material since I read a lot of books mostly fiction that helped me a lot in my English preparation. So, I did not go specifically out of my way to prepare for English. For Quant, LR & DI, I gave iQuanta sectional tests and practice sectional tests to assess my performance. I gave around 10 mock tests before MAT exam.

Q: Did you join any coaching institute? How does coaching institute help in exam preparation?

A: In my college in Vellore, we have a TIME Centre here and I have been enrolled here for past one year. The faculty here is very helpful since I am preparing for CAT, they have always been available for us. So for me, coaching proved to be very helpful.

Q: How important is practicing MAT mock test series?

A: Mock test would not only help you assess your performance, it would also boost your confidence. If you have scored well in mock test, it will help you gain a certain level of calm and confidence when you are attempting the real paper. I have experienced it personally when I was preparing for engineering entrance exams I did not practice any mocks. While attempting the real paper, I realized that I could have managed my time much better, had I practiced some mocks in advance. I would advise aspirants to give at least 10 to 15 mock tests before the actual exam.

Also Read: Best Books for MAT Exam Preparation

Q: What was your exam day strategy?

A: Before September MAT exam, all my college exams and the regular assessment tests were over, so I had a pretty free week. I gave the exam in Chennai. A day before the exam, I went to the temple and was in a very relaxed state of mind. I would suggest meditating or a visit to temple, if you are a religious person. A nice sleep is very important because it will help you concentrate well on the day of exam. I would also suggest aspirants to refrain from revising topics just before the exam as it may send you into panic mode.

Q: Which other MBA entrance exams did you take or are planning to take?

A: I gave NMAT exam on October 25, I am awaiting the result. I will also be appearing for upcoming CAT, XAT and IIFT exams.

Q: How did you deal with your strengths and weaknesses while preparing for the exam?

A: I used to struggle a lot in the Data Interpretation section. In terms of the length of the passages and the amount of reading you have to do, it is pretty substantial and to maintain that level of consistency was a major challenge. While evaluating my mock test results, I realised that I was wasting a lot of time reading passages, I was double checking my answers a lot and I was getting very doubtful about it. So, I changed my strategy, I decided to read the passage completely in one go and jot down the important points on the paper. I have also stopped checking my answers twice. In the real exam, you have to be very confident but cautious as well. It is equally important to not to waste time on questions that may cut into your time and make you panicky.

Also Read: MAT Question & Sample Papers 2019

Q: Any tips for future MAT aspirants?

I believe sincerity is the most important trait for cracking any exam. I would advise aspirants to stay focused through their prep period and to never give up on their goal.

Q: Which Institutes did you join/aim to join?

My dream colleges will obviously be the holy trinity i.e. IIM A,B &C (Ahmedabad, Bangalore and Calcutta) but more specifically, I would like to join IIM Calcutta. I have heard that IIM C gives you that sort of holistic growth that you need in your life and I look to pursue either Marketing or Finance and it’s a common knowledge that IIM C is pretty amazing for both the streams.

MAT Exam Pattern 2019

MAT Mock Test 2019: Get Free Online Practice Papers

MAT Exam Day Checklist: Important Things to Remember

MAT 2019 Topper Interview: Abhishek Jha shares tips to ace MAT exam

MAT Eligibility Criteria 2019 - Check Qualifying Marks, Age Limit, Number of Attempts

MAT Syllabus

This is a collection of news and articles on various topics ranging from course selection to college selection tips, exam preparation strategy to course comparison and more. The topics are from various streams inclu... Read Full Bio

NMAT Retake Scheduling

NMAT Retake Registration

Dec '22

CAT 2022 answer key release

Jan '23

CAT 2022 result announcement

IBSAT 2022 National Mock Test

Feb '23

CMAT 2023 registration and app...

Apr '23

CMAT 2023 exam date

SNAP 2022 session 1

Comments

Can I apply for MAT if I have completed CA?

j

jasveer singh

Yes, you can apply for MAT exam after completing CA/CS in any recognised university. Candidates above 40% of marks in UG are eligible to apply for MAT exam.

Deeksha Dixit

Yes, you can apply for the MAT exam if you have completed your CA course. For admission to MBA and PGDM programs, the AIMA administers the Management Aptitude Test (MAT). Candidates who meet the requirements below may apply for this exam:1. The applicants have their completed graduation from a re...Yes, you can apply for the MAT exam if you have completed your CA course. For admission to MBA and PGDM programs, the AIMA administers the Management Aptitude Test (MAT). Candidates who meet the requirements below may apply for this exam:
1. The applicants have their completed graduation from a recognised university
2. They are in their final year of college and will graduate by the time they are admitted to management college.
3. The candidate possesses a professional degree, such as a CS, CA, or ICWA. Visit the following link to learn more about this test: https://www.shiksha.com/mba/mat-exam

Can I get admission to IIM-A with my MAT score?

j

jasveer singh

Yes, more than 80% score in MAT exam gives a chance in category. Candidates who get 94% have more chances to get calls from IIM management. Hence, there will be some admissions taken based on number of seats and category based. I wish you will get seat in IIM.

Deeksha Dixit

No, you cannot get admission to the IIM Ahmedabad with your MAT score. The Iims do not accept the MAT score for admission. To get admission to the PGP course at IIM A, you need to appear in the CAT or GMAT exam. If you have appeared in the MAT exam, you can apply to other colleges such as Amity U...No, you cannot get admission to the IIM Ahmedabad with your MAT score. The Iims do not accept the MAT score for admission. To get admission to the PGP course at IIM A, you need to appear in the CAT or GMAT exam. If you have appeared in the MAT exam, you can apply to other colleges such as Amity University, Tezpur University, and IIFM, Bhopal.
1. You can find information about colleges accepting the MAT exam at this link: https://www.shiksha.com/mba/colleges/mba-colleges-accepting-mat-india?sby=popularity
2. You can check detailed admission procedure of IIM at this Shiksha Page:https://www.shiksha.com/college/iim-Ahmedabad-indian-institute-of-management-vastrapur-307/admission.

What is the MAT exam pattern?

j

jasveer singh

The MAT exam is conducted for admission to management courses such as MBA and PGDM at the top management colleges in India. The exam is conducted in three modes: CBT, PBT, and IBT, and the exam pattern is the same for each mode. The MAT exam follows the following pattern:1. The exam duration is 1...The MAT exam is conducted for admission to management courses such as MBA and PGDM at the top management colleges in India. The exam is conducted in three modes: CBT, PBT, and IBT, and the exam pattern is the same for each mode. The MAT exam follows the following pattern:
1. The exam duration is 150 minutes.
2. The MAT exam is divided into five sections with a total of 200 questions.
3. Each section has 40 questions, and each question carries one mark.
4. The sections are as follows: (a) Language Comprehension (b) Mathematical Skills (c) Indian & Global Environment (d) Data Analysis & Sufficiency (e) Intelligence & Critical Reasoning
5. There is a negative marking of 0.25 for each wrong response.

Deeksha Dixit

1. The exam duration is 150 minutes.
2. The MAT exam is divided into five sections with a total of 200 questions.
3. Each section has 40 questions, and each question carries one mark.
5. There is a negative marking of 0.25 for each wrong response. You can find the pattern and syllabus in detail on this Shiksha link: https://www.shiksha.com/mba/mat-exam-pattern.

How many times can a person take the MAT exam in a year?

j

jasveer singh

A person can take the MAT exam four times in a year. The MAT exam is conducted in three modes during the February, May, September, and December cycles. The modes are as follows:1. A paper-based test (PBT): In this case, candidates need to report to a test center. This mode is OMR-based. 2. Comput...A person can take the MAT exam four times in a year. The MAT exam is conducted in three modes during the February, May, September, and December cycles. The modes are as follows:
2. Computer-Based Test (CBT): This mode also requires you to be present at the allotted test center, but the test is on a computer system.
3. Internet-Based Test (IBT): In this test, you have the option of taking it on a computer system at home or at any other preferred location. You can appear in this MAT exam to get admission to MBA/PGDM, and PGP programs offered by more than 700 B-schools in India.

Deeksha Dixit

3. Internet-Based Test (IBT): In this test, you have the option of taking it on a computer system at home or at any other preferred location. You can appear in this MAT exam to get admission to MBA/PGDM and PGP programs offered by more than 700 B-schools in India.

How many MAT exam modes are there?

j

jasveer singh

There are three modes in which the Management Aptitude Test MAT is conducted by AIMA. The MAT is conducted four times a year in three modes:1. Paper-based test (PBT) mode: This is an OMR-based test for which you have to report to the allotted test center. 2. Computer-Based Test (CBT) Mode: This i...There are three modes in which the Management Aptitude Test MAT is conducted by AIMA. The MAT is conducted four times a year in three modes:
2. Computer-Based Test (CBT) Mode: This is a computer-based test, but it also requires you to be present at the allotted test center.

Deeksha Dixit

3. Internet-Based Test (IBT): This is the most flexible one, and you have the option of taking the test on a computer system at home or at any other preferred place. The exam pattern and application fee are similar for all three modes. You need to pay the application fee of Rs. 1,850 to appear in any mode of the MAT exam. You can check the detailed exam pattern for MAT at this Shiksha page: https://www.shiksha.com/mba/mat-exam-pattern.

How should I prepare for the MAT?

j

jasveer singh

The MAT exam is used to admit students into more than 800 business schools in India. The following expert tips can help you prepare for the MAT exam:1. The first step is to familiarize yourself with the MAT exam syllabus. 2. You need to fully understand each topic in the Quant, DILR and Verbal se...The MAT exam is used to admit students into more than 800 business schools in India. The following expert tips can help you prepare for the MAT exam:
1. The first step is to familiarize yourself with the MAT exam syllabus.
2. You need to fully understand each topic in the Quant, DILR and Verbal sections.
3. You must evaluate your learning from each study session by solving questions.
4. For this, you can test your understanding of the application by answering a few questions after finishing a chapter.
5. Practice as many mock exams as you can, paying more attention to quality than quantity.
6. Analyze your test results and try to avoid mistakes in subsequent mocks.
7. You should practice exercise questions from books and mock tests for each section of the DA, Sufficiency, and Mathematics exams.
8. You can use the books or YouTube to help you understand this section clearly.
9. You can use the same advice for the intelligence and critical reasoning sections and practice with exercise questions and sectional tests.

Deeksha Dixit

1. The first step is to familiarize yourself with the MAT exam syllabus.
6. Analyze your test results and try to avoid mistakes in subsequent mocks.
10. For the Indian and global environment sections, a regular GK book and newspaper are usually sufficient. This Shiksha page contains a detailed strategy for preparing for the MAT exam:https://www.shiksha.com/mba/mat-exam-preparation.

Which exam should I take for admission to the MBA programme, the MAT or the CMAT?

j

jasveer singh

The MAT exam is conducted by AIMA, whereas the CMAT exam is conducted by NTA. Both entrance exams are popular for admissions to MBA and PGDM courses. Here is a small comparison to help you decide which exam you want to take: (A) Advantages of Choosing MAT Over CMAT:1. The benefit of giving MAT ov...The MAT exam is conducted by AIMA, whereas the CMAT exam is conducted by NTA. Both entrance exams are popular for admissions to MBA and PGDM courses. Here is a small comparison to help you decide which exam you want to take: (A) Advantages of Choosing MAT Over CMAT:
1. The benefit of giving MAT over CMAT is that you can attempt MAT four times in the same academic session to improve the exam score. The CMAT exam is conducted once a year and provides less scope for improvement in score.
2. The MAT is conducted in three modes: computer-based mode, paper-based mode, and internet-based mode. Therefore, you can choose the exam mode according to your convenience. On the other hand, the CMAT is conducted only in computer-based mode. (B) Advantages of Choosing CMAT Over MAT:
1. The CMAT score has more acceptability than the MAT. In contrast to the 700 MBA colleges that accept MAT. Over 1300 B schools admit students based on the CMAT. It includes top B schools such as the Great Lakes Institute of Management, Chennai.
2. The CMAT is regarded as the second-best option after the CAT for admission to India's top business schools. Its score is valid for one year, unlike the MAT. You can choose MAT for convenience, but CMAT is recommended for top colleges.

Deeksha Dixit

What is the MAT IBT exam?

j

jasveer singh

The MAT exam is an entrance exam for top MBA programs that is administered in three modes: PBT, CBT, and IBT modes. The MAT IBT exam is known as the Remote Proctored Internet-Based Test (IBT). It is the most convenient mode among the three. You can take a computer-based MAT exam at home or any ot...The MAT exam is an entrance exam for top MBA programs that is administered in three modes: PBT, CBT, and IBT modes. The MAT IBT exam is known as the Remote Proctored Internet-Based Test (IBT). It is the most convenient mode among the three. You can take a computer-based MAT exam at home or any other preferred location in the IBT in this mode. This was introduced in 2020 following the coronavirus outbreak. The exam pattern and marking are similar to PBT and CBT. The requirements to give the MAT IBT are as follows:
1. You should have a stable internet connection with a minimum of 512 kbps speed throughout the MAT duration.
2. You need to give the exam in either Chrome version 63 or above or Firefox version 52 or above.
3. To give IBT, you must have Windows operating system version 7 or higher.
4. The minimum requirement is 65 MB of permanent free space on the default hard drive.
5. The minimum supported version is 4.5.1. NET framework for IBT exam.

Deeksha Dixit

3. To give IBT, you must have Windows operating system version 7 or higher.
5. The minimum supported version is 4.5.1. NETframework for IBT exam. You can learn more about the MAT exam at this Shiksha Page:https://www.shiksha.com/mba/mat-exam.

What is a good MAT percentile for admission to top management colleges?

j

jasveer singh

The participating institutes announce MAT cut offs for every academic session at the time of admissions. MAT 2022 cut offs being accepted for admission are between 95-65 percentile at the top colleges.

Deeksha Dixit

According to previous years' cutoffs for top management colleges, any MAT percentile over the 90th percentile is good. For instance, to get Amity Noida, you need more than 90 percentile; to get Christ Bengaluru, you need around 80 to 90 percentile; and to get SIESCOMS Navi Mumbai, a percentile ov...According to previous years' cutoffs for top management colleges, any MAT percentile over the 90th percentile is good. For instance, to get Amity Noida, you need more than 90 percentile; to get Christ Bengaluru, you need around 80 to 90 percentile; and to get SIESCOMS Navi Mumbai, a percentile over 80 is good. You can check the previous session's MAT Cut Off to determine the percentage required by the college where you want to enroll at this link: https://www.shiksha.com/mba/mat-exam-cutoff
To score a good percentile, it is really important to have a good strategy, which you can find on this page: https://www.shiksha.com/mba/mat-exam-preparation.

What is the syllabus for the MAT exam?

j

jasveer singh

The All-India Management Association prescribes the syllabus for the MAT exam. The MAT syllabus is divided into five sections, as follows:1. Language Comprehension: Reading Comprehension, One-Word Substitution, Basic English Grammar, Idioms and Phrases, Vocabulary, Sentence Correction, and Verbal...The All-India Management Association prescribes the syllabus for the MAT exam. The MAT syllabus is divided into five sections, as follows:
1. Language Comprehension: Reading Comprehension, One-Word Substitution, Basic English Grammar, Idioms and Phrases, Vocabulary, Sentence Correction, and Verbal Ability
2. Intelligence and Critical Reasoning: Arguments, Family Tree, Visual Reasoning, Statement Conclusions, Statement Conclusions, Blood Relations, Numeric Grid, Series and Multi-Dimensional Arrangements.
3. Mathematical Skills: Permutation and Combinations; Heights and Distance; Set Theory; Surds and Indices; Speed, Time, and Distance; Elementary Mathematics; and Linear Programming.
4. Data Analysis and Sufficiency: Charts, Venn Diagrams, Caselet-Based Data, Line X-Y Graphs, Bar Diagrams Data analysis and data comparison
5. Indian & Global Environment: World Records, Awards and Winners, International Organizations, Finance, Science, Books and Authors, Business, Statements and Quotations

Deeksha Dixit

The All India Management Association prescribes the syllabus for the MAT exam. The MAT syllabus is divided into five sections, as follows:1. Language Comprehension: Reading Comprehension, One-Word Substitution, Basic English Grammar, Idioms and Phrases, Vocabulary, Sentence Correction, and Verba...The All India Management Association prescribes the syllabus for the MAT exam. The MAT syllabus is divided into five sections, as follows:
You can learn more about the MAT syllabus and the books you can use to prepare for it by clicking on the following link: https://www.shiksha.com/mba/mat-exam-syllabus.

1405 Institutes accepting MAT