Md ShahzadSenior Executive - Content
Nautical Science is a multidisciplinary field of study (comprising of science, mathematics and physical training) that deals with techniques and knowledge involved in navigating and operating a ship safely from one point to another. Its study is a balanced combination of theoretical and practical training. The technicalities and intricacies of the work involved in this field can only be excelled if one has the right amount of knowledge and experience in the field.
Candidates with a keen interest in navigation and operation of marine vehicles can consider Nautical Science a career option. To enter the field of Nautical Science, one must hold a diploma or degree in this stream. There are many courses offered in Nautical Science at diploma, UG and PG levels. A number of colleges and universities in India provide degree and diploma courses in Nautical Science. We will discuss important aspects of Nautical Science on this page.
- Courses offered in Nautical Science
- Eligibility Criteria for courses in Nautical Science
- Benefits of pursuing Nautical Science Courses
- Entrance Tests for Nautical Science Courses
- Course Duration and Fees of Courses in Nautical Science
- Fee Structure of course in Nautical Science
- Syllabus of courses in Nautical Science
- Nautical Science FAQs
Courses offered in Nautical Science
There are many courses that you can pursue to enter the Nautical Science field. The most popular Nautical Science courses are as under:
- Bachelor of Science in Nautical Science: This is the most common course that you can go for if you wish to gain detailed knowledge in a 3-year, full-term course in Nautical Science.
- Diploma in Nautical Science: If you want to pursue a career in Nautical Science through a course that is of a shorter time period, you can opt for this course.
- Master of Science in Nautical Science: You can pursue this if you want to get your masters degree in the field of Nautical Science.
Eligibility Criteria for courses in Nautical Science
To enrol in a Nautical Science course, one must fulfil certain criteria prescribed by the concerned authority. Eligibility criteria might differ from course to course and college to college. Candidates must check the prospectus of the university or college before applying for the program.
Basic Eligibility Criteria: The basic requirements for eligibility that every candidate should fulfil in order to get into a Nautical Science program are:
- The candidate should be of age ranging from 17 years to 25 years at the commencement of the program.
- The eyesight of the candidate should be 6/6.
- The candidate should not suffer from night blindness.
- The candidate should not suffer from colour blindness.
- The candidate should be physically fit to carry out the operations at the sea efficiently.
Eligibility for UG Programs: Candidates wishing to get admitted to an undergraduate program for Nautical Science have to fulfil the following requirements:
- They must have passed 10 + 2 with minimum qualifying marks that are aggregate of subjects including Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Biology as a part of their core subjects.
- Universities conduct entrance tests for the course and the candidates are selected on the basis of their score in the entrance test that should be at least 50%.
Eligibility for PG Programs: Candidates wishing to get admitted to a postgraduate program for Nautical Science have to fulfil the following requirements:
- They must hold an undergraduate degree in the field of Nautical Science.
- Universities conduct entrance tests for the course and the candidates are selected on the basis of the score they secured in the same.
Eligibility for Diploma Program: Candidates wishing to get admitted to a diploma program for Nautical Science have to fulfil the following requirements:
- They must have passed 10 + 2 with minimum qualifying marks that are aggregate of subjects including Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Biology as a part of their core subjects, at least 55%.
Benefits of pursuing Nautical Science Courses
Nautical Science is a specialized field of study that is opted by many students every year. Here are the advantages of pursuing this course:
- Nautical Science is one of the most popular fields of study that opens up a gateway to a wide range of lucrative jobs in the country.
- Nautical Science courses offer some attractive jobs in both government and private sectors. Candidates are recruited at some of the leading companies like ONGC, SAIL, GSI, Government Operated Quarries, Coal India, etc.
- After completing a degree or diploma in Nautical Science, one can expect to become Deck Cadet, Radio Officer, Nautical Surveyors, Marine Engineer, and so on.
- Nautical Science Courses are most suitable for those who are seeking a career filled with adventures.
- Enrolling on Nautical Science courses in India is not very tough as the completion level is medium. Also, the perks and pay scale offered after completing the study is better than many other courses.
Entrance Tests for Nautical Science Courses
Admission to Nautical Science Courses in maximum colleges/ institutes in India is done through entrance tests. Some institutes accept scores in state-level entrance tests while many institutes organize their own entrance tests. The entrance tests conducted by various institutes include three sections. They are:
Proficiency in English
Name of some popular entrance tests include:
Course Duration and Fees of Courses in Nautical Science
- An undergraduate bachelor’s course in Nautical Science has a duration of 3 years, and the number of semesters it consists of are 6 semesters.
- A postgraduate course in Nautical Science is of the duration of 2 years consisting of four semesters.
- A diploma course in Nautical Science is of the duration of 1 year.
- Upon completion of the degrees the candidate, in order to truly get into the field, should undergo a year-long compulsory service at sea.
Fee Structure of course in Nautical Science
There are several colleges that provide degrees and diplomas in Nautical Science. Some of these include Samundra Institute of Maritime Studies in Mumbai, Indian Maritime University in Mumbai, Applied Research International in Delhi, Indian Maritime University in Kolkata, etc. The average fee structure for Nautical Science courses is as under:
- For undergraduate courses in Nautical Science, the fee structures range from INR 2 Lakhs to 8 Lakhs.
- For postgraduate courses in Nautical Science, the fee structure ranges from INR 1 Lakhs to 3 Lakhs.
- For diploma courses in Nautical Science, the fee structure ranges from INR 2000 to 3 Lakhs.
Syllabus of courses in Nautical Science
Syllabus of undergraduate (Bachelor) courses: The subjects of study include Mathematics, English, Physics, Navigation, Cargo work and Marine Command, Environmental Studies, Voyage Plan, Collision, Maritime Law, Ship Construction, Marine Engineering, Control System, Seamanship, Ship Stability, Collision Prevention and Ship Operation Technology.
There is the significant importance of practical and lab projects and fieldwork in this field. So, these are included in the PG level Nautical Science Course syllabus too. Workshops and ship and industrial visits are also a part of the syllabus.
Syllabus of diploma courses: The subjects of study include Applied Mathematics, Communication Skills, Environmental Science, English, Naval Architecture, Nautical Physics, Nautical Electronics, Voyage Planning, Cargo Work, Collision Prevention, Marine Communication, Principles of Navigation and Ship Operation Technology.
Practical & lab projects and fieldwork is important in this field so these are also included in the diploma course syllabus too. Moreover, workshops and ship and industrial visits are equally important in the syllabus.
Personal Training and Fitness is a necessity of this course and therefore, it is a part of the syllabus, be it in a full time, or diploma course.
Job Prospects and Career options available in Nautical Science
Wide ranges of job opportunities are available in the field of Nautical Science Course. Candidates holding a degree or diploma in Nautical Science are offered reputed job profiles such as Marine Superintendent, Deck officer, Marine Engineer, Scuba diver, Nautical Surveyor and many more. Candidates holding a degree or diploma in Nautical Science are also offered handsome salary packages at the beginning of their careers. After spending a year or two or more, candidates can bag high salary package jobs at reputed companies/ organizations.
If you are wishing for a job profile that deals with a deck or significant fieldwork, you have to have the passion and interest required to go through rigorous training. At least one year of prior experience on the sea is required too. Experience is the only thing in this field that will help a candidate in enhancing his/her already existing set of skills.
If you pursue your studies in Nautical Science, you can apply for the following job profiles:
Port Operations officer
Teacher or lecturer
There are several shipping companies that recruit graduates who have a degree in Nautical Sciences. Some of the companies are:
Wallem Ship Management
United Ocean Ship Management
MSC Ship Management
Mitsui O.S.K. Lines
MMS Maritime (MMSI)
Gulf Energy Maritime Services (GEM)
Univan Ship Management
Wilhelmsen Ship Management
Herald Maritime Service
Seaarland Management Service
Payscale offered in the field of Nautical Science
A candidate who has completed a degree or diploma in Nautical Science and is going to start a fresh career in the field of Nautical Science can generally expect to have pay of INR 40,000 per month. However, advancement in the skills and knowledge of the candidates over time will enhance their work and further promotions will lead to an increase in monthly/yearly pay. Also, if the candidate gets recruited by any private shipping company, he/she is expected to be paid a handsome salary from the beginning.
The Payscale of some job profiles related to the field of Nautical Science is given in the table below.
Approximate Pay Scale
INR 6 Lakhs to 8 Lakhs
INR 15 Lakhs to 20 Lakhs
INR 8 Lakhs to 12 Lakhs
INR 6 Lakhs to 8 Lakhs
Marine Engineering Instructor
INR 5 Lakhs to 6 Lakhs
INR 7 Lakhs to 8 Lakhs
INR 3 Lakhs to 4 Lakhs
Training Navigating Officer
INR 4 Lakhs to 5 Lakhs
INR 9 Lakhs to 10 Lakhs
Popular Colleges to study Nautical Science
India is home to hundreds of institutes that have been offering Nautical Science courses at different levels. Space below mentions the name of some popular Nautical Science colleges in India:
- Coimbatore Marine College
- The Great Eastern Institute of Maritime Studies – GEIMS
- IMU - IMU Kochi Indian Maritime University
- Tolani Maritime Institute- TMI
- International Maritime Institute
Nautical Science FAQs
Q. What is Nautical Science?
Q. What is the benefit of choosing a BSc nautical science over a diploma in nautical science?
Q. Who can apply for admission to BSc Nautical Science?
Q. What is the eligibility criteria for a diploma in Nautical Science?
Q. Can I apply for the Indian Navy after completing a BSc in Nautical Science?
Q. Which institutes offer diploma courses in Nautical Science?
- IMU Navi Mumbai Indian Maritime University
- IMU Chennai Indian Maritime University
- The Great Eastern Institute of Maritime Studies – GEIMS
- P Marine Academy, Belapur
- Tolani Maritime Institute, Pune
Q. What are the job profiles available for the candidates holding a Nautical Science degree or diploma?
Q. How can I join the Indian Navy after completing a BSc in Nautical Science?
Popular Nautical Science Colleges in India
Popular Private Nautical Science Colleges in India
Most Popular Courses
- Diploma in Nautical Science (DNS)The Great Eastern Institute of Maritime Studies - GEIMS
- B.Sc. in Nautical ScienceIMU - IMU Kochi Indian Maritime University
- B.Sc. in Nautical ScienceTolani Maritime Institute- TMI
- Diploma in Nautical ScienceTolani Maritime Institute- TMI
- B.Sc. in Nautical ScienceTraining Ship Chanakya
- Diploma in Nautical ScienceInternational Maritime Institute
- B.Sc. in Nautical ScienceIMU - IMU Navi Mumbai Indian Maritime University
- B.Sc. in Nautical ScienceMANET-Maharashtra Academy of Naval Education and Training, MIT-ADT University
- B.Sc. in Nautical ScienceAcademy of Maritime Education and Training
- B.Sc. in Nautical ScienceVELS School of Maritime Studies
News & Updates
I completed my 10th in 2016 and 12th in 2018 but with biology (again with maths). Am I eligible for this course?
2 weeks ago
You can check the following for information - https://www.shiksha.com/college/the-great-eastern-institute-of-maritime-studies-geims-lonavla-pune-22194
IGNOU has its own placement cell called CPC. The cell conducts on-campus and off-campus placement and employability enhancement activities at the head office and its regional centres. It can be observed that the number has grown tremendously over the years. Compared to 2018, 2019 witnessed a 2.9%...IGNOU has its own placement cell called CPC. The cell conducts on-campus and off-campus placement and employability enhancement activities at the head office and its regional centres. It can be observed that the number has grown tremendously over the years. Compared to 2018, 2019 witnessed a 2.9% increase in the number of students who participated in the placements. It can be observed that the number has grown tremendously over the years. IGNOU now Offering Master of Science Programme in Environmental Science (MSCENV) Indira Gandhi National Open University offers admission to Master in Environmental Science for the January 2022 and July sessions.
Career Scope of M.Sc. Environmental Science
Environmental Consultant. Environmental Scientist. Environmental Science Manager. Wildlife Filmmaker. Environmental Journalists. Director of Waste Management. Environmental Photographer. Lecturer and many more. IGNOU Distance M.Sc. is beneficial for students in many ways. First of all, the degree offered by the university is valuable and recognised by UGC-DEB. The degrees offered by IGNOU is valid not only in India but also abroad. In this sector, you can be employed by various organizations are such as Pollution Control Board, Water Authority and Urban Planning. Many private organizations like Food processing industries, Refineries, Distilleries and Fertilizer plants are also offering various job opportunities for the graduates in this field. Employment of environmental scientists and specialists is projected to grow 8 percent from 2020 to 2030, about as fast as the average for all occupations. About 9,400 openings for environmental scientists and specialists are projected each year, on average, over the decade.
Hi Rama Rao
Refer to the link given below for information-
I want to know about the fee structure at Delhi Maritime Academy for B.Sc. in Nautical Science.
a month ago
Lovely to meet you!
Kindly see the below link for information related to your query.
I want to know about the fee structure at Training Ship Chanakya for B.Sc. in Nautical Science.
a month ago
For information, you can see the below link
a month ago
The fee for Diploma in Nautical Science in TMI is INR 5 Lacs.
I want to know about the latest cutoff information for Diploma in Nautical Science at International Maritime Institute.
Kindly visit this link for information related to your query.
I want to know about the latest cutoff information for Diploma in Nautical Science at AEMA .
2 months ago
Kindly check this link for all kinds of information
Kindly check this link for all kinds of information
I am waiting for my 12th result. Can I get admission for DNS via JEE Mains or CET?
2 months ago
Hello! Neeraj Kamble, it's very nice to hear from you. But to me, your query looked a bit incomplete. One can appear for any entrance exam but getting selected to do the course depends on finding oneself in the merit list. If you can score handsomely, then surely you will get admission in any cou...Hello! Neeraj Kamble, it's very nice to hear from you. But to me, your query looked a bit incomplete. One can appear for any entrance exam but getting selected to do the course depends on finding oneself in the merit list. If you can score handsomely, then surely you will get admission in any course that you desire. Best wishes to you.
Taking an Exam? Selecting a College?
Find insights & recommendations on colleges and exams that you won't find anywhere else
On Shiksha, get access to
- 71k Colleges
- 837 Exams
- 300k Reviews
- 750k Answers
- Aeronautical Science
- Computer Science
- Dairy Science
- Earth Science
- Environmental Sciences
- Fisheries Science
- Food & Nutrition
- Forensic Science
- Home Science
- Veterinary Science